Server instability

Board Game Arena Official announcements
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Server instability

Post by sourisdudesert »

You probably noticed that BGA service is having some stability difficulties these 4 past days.

We owe you an full explanation of the reasons of these stability issues, and what we are doing to solve them. Here it is:

From the beginning of Board Game Arena, the real-time notification service that allows you to be notified of your opponents moves is having some weakness and instabilities. If you are sometimes disconnected/reconnected, if you have to do "F5" very often during a game, or if you sometimes discover that it was your turn despite your browser says it is not... then you experienced this weakness.

Five years ago, when we created BGA, a website that was able to be updated in realtime was very uncommon. Very few technologies was existing at this time to do this. We had to do some specific work to achieve this, but as you notice it was not 100% reliable.

Now, the situation is quite different. The technology has evolved, and there are now good and reliable technologies to have a realtime support in browsers. We recently decided to switched to one of this new technology.

This change is not easy. This is like replacing some building foundations without breaking the building. 4 days ago, few hours after we started to make change, the service crashes unexpectedly. Then, 4 or 5 times we thought we fixed this issue, but 4 or 5 times the service crashed again. Now, we are 100% back to the previous situation when everything was stable.

We are going to analyze what happened and will try again to do this evolution in few weeks. I know this may be painful sometimes, but this will allow all of you to enjoy a much comfortable service afterwards. Of course, we removed all penalties from the past 4 days on BGA.

Thank you for your understanding and sorry for the games that has been lost.
Trociu

Re: Server instability

Post by Trociu »

For me BGA is the best boardgaming site in the world wide web, if it has difficulties I think "Eh, even God created Satan, no ones perfect" :D
anakin_law

Post by anakin_law »

Thanks for the update. Fully support for the improvement work to make here a better platform~~
lixoudis

Post by lixoudis »

Thanks for the update and for all the effort and time you have invested on this issue!
LuthienCeleste

Post by LuthienCeleste »

So growing pains :)

Glad to see you are willing to innovate and are upfront about the issues it bring up.
Thanks for your work on this awesome site.
jedite21

Post by jedite21 »

Thank you for the info, I am really enjoying this site.
CB Droege

Post by CB Droege »

I'd be curious to know what you're switching to. Are you going HTML5?
squarerootofthree

Post by squarerootofthree »

Thanks for the update! Happy to endure a few days or weeks of shaky service to lay a solid foundation for the coming years. :-)
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Post by sourisdudesert »

CB Droege wrote:Are you going HTML5?
We are willing to use socket.io.
motorhead

Post by motorhead »

if you need to take the site down for a day to make the swap, isn't better than letting games go on glitchy and crashy?

Return to “Official announcements [en]”