New : Your favorite color

Board Game Arena Official announcements
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

New : Your favorite color

Post by sourisdudesert »

As gamers we all have our little and strange habits. One of our most common habit when playing board games is to always play with the same color.

Finally, we decided to introduce a new "favorite colors" preferences. From your preferences page, you can select your first/second/third/fourth favorite color, so we can attribute it to you if available.

Important :
  • This feature is available only for Club members.
  • This feature is available only for games where all colors are symmetric, with no influence on the game. For example it does not work for Chess, Colt Express, Tash-Kalar or Libertalia.
  • When several Club members are on a table, the top priority is given to the table administrator (= creator of the table), and then priorities are totally random.
Please don't hesitate to give us your feedback on this feature and report any issue.

Enjoy!
squarerootofthree

Re: New : Your favorite color

Post by squarerootofthree »

Neat feature. Would it be possible to add the text of the colors to the dropdown lists? On Chrome on my Mac the lists are just blank rows and you can't see what color you've selected until you pick it. http://i.imgur.com/DVeg84W.png

Thanks!
CB Droege

Post by CB Droege »

!!! Great new feature. Thanks!
cosmosis

Post by cosmosis »

I'm curious why you implemented priorities since you could technically display the same color to all users (each user thinks they're green and sees opponents as other colors). Are you worried that someone might talk about another player by their color in the chat?

I'm sure you thought about this. In any case, nice addition. :)
Tamora

Post by Tamora »

I love this idea. Thank you!
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Post by sourisdudesert »

squarerootofthree wrote:Would it be possible to add the text of the colors to the dropdown lists? On Chrome on my Mac the lists are just blank rows and you can't see what color you've selected until you pick it.
Just fixed.
cosmosis wrote:you could technically display the same color to all users
In fact this was technically difficult on BGA, so we prefered to implement priorities. By the way as you said this is more consistent for the chat : if different players see different colors they can't talk about "the red player" anymore because every player may have a different red player.
squarerootofthree

sourisdudesert wrote:
sourisdudesert wrote:squarerootofthree wrote:
Would it be possible to add the text of the colors to the dropdown lists? On Chrome on my Mac the lists are just blank rows and you can't see what color you've selected until you pick it.

Just fixed.
Thanks!!
Tweedledeee

Post by Tweedledeee »

Color is meaningless in most games so a number of websites have made it so you pick your own color at the start. Everyone could pick yellow, for example, whereby you see your color as yellow but everyone else sees it as something different. Doesn't matter to you; you always see yellow.
squarerootofthree

sourisdudesert wrote:This feature is available only for games where all colors are symmetric, with no influence on the game. For example it does not work for Chess, Colt Express, Tash-Kalar or Libertalia.
I think Hive should probably be added to that list. It really threw me off when I made the first move as black in my most recent game. Not a huge deal, but confused me a bit and really should behave in the same manner as chess.

Again, thanks for this feature addition. I like this!
oliphant

Post by oliphant »

This should not be a pay feature. This is an accessibility feature. I am partially colorblind, like 10% of all men are. For me this means that if red or green are my color, I am automatically at a disadvantage because I cant tell them apart.

What I'd really like to see, seeing as how this is now a feature, is for BGA to allow color selection for color blindness and not charge xtra for it.

:)

Thanks.

Return to “Official announcements [en]”