New : Round-robin tournament mode and tournament invitations

Board Game Arena Official announcements
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

New : Round-robin tournament mode and tournament invitations

Post by sourisdudesert »

Round-robin tournament style

You can now create and participate to "round-robin" style tournaments. In such a tournament, each participant plays against every other. You win 1 point for each victory.

This type of tournament is particularly appropriate for a small number of players. It is also particularly adapted to turn-based tournament because all your games are launched at the same time and can be played in parallel.

By the way : time profile (realtime/turnbased) is now displayed on the tournament list.

Tournament invitation and invitation-only tournaments

You can now invite players to a tournament you just joined.

As a tournament creator, you can also configure your tournament as "on invitation only". This allows you to create private tournaments on BGA. You can also use this feature to organize (manually) multi-stage tournaments, by inviting "qualified" players from a previous tournament to a new tournament.

Enjoy!
Oso

Re: New : Round-robin tournament mode and tournament invitations

Post by Oso »

Would be perfect if you can implement at least 3p tours, some games can't be created because they aren't for 2p
sprockitz

Post by sprockitz »

Thanks, this is great! I started an 8 player turn based Round Robin for Tokaido and it seems to be working well. I like the tiebreaker as score differential, this seems like it'll work for most games.

I don't know if the player limit is different for Round Robin, but I'm guessing it should be...I wouldn't want someone to setup a round robin and then get 50 (or in theory 512) people signed up.
MadManMoon

Post by MadManMoon »

Hi!
I thank you for the last improvements for the tournaments, I really like them! :)

I just ask you if it's possible, in the future, to create a banner for tours' invites, just like the normal games: mail invites aren't the best solution, in my opinion (for example, it would be sent in the spam box).
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Post by sourisdudesert »

Hi,

About tournament styles for +3players : this is indeed possible but much difficult.

Round robin max number of participants is limited at 10 for now for this reason.

About email invitations : these invitations are meant to be sent to players that know exactly what they are (circle of friends, qualified players from a previous tournament...). This is why there are emails, but this could change in the future.
MadManMoon

Post by MadManMoon »

Thank you for the answer, sourisdudesert. :)

I write here after I opened a bug ticket, because this is one of the first invitation-only tournaments of the site and maybe it's important to let you know it.

http://it.boardgamearena.com/#!tournament?id=2983

This is an invitation-only tournament and it's not started. I don't know if there is something due to the fact that it's an invitation-only tour and there's something to correct...
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Post by sourisdudesert »

Hello,

Sorry about that. A bug occurs yesterday between 12:00 and 14:00 and affected realtime and turnbased tournaments. It has been fixed now, but it requires a specific action for your tournament for games that has not started yet. It should be solved in the next hours.
MadManMoon

Post by MadManMoon »

Thank you for the quick reply! :)

For invitations-only tournaments, do you think it's possible to make group invitations? Just like "invite all my friends" or "invite all members of GroupName".
It's not important, but it would be a nice improvement. ;)
zanthian

Post by zanthian »

I have two current issues with the new round robin.

I have one turn based round robin tournament that has started, but no one can join their games here: http://en.boardgamearena.com/#!tournament?id=3049

I also have one turn based round robin tournament that the start time has passed, but the tournament has not started here: http://en.boardgamearena.com/#!tournament?id=3027

I would greatly appreciate any help in moving these tournaments forward.

-zanthian
chrisa

Post by chrisa »

Hi,

We also have a problem here: http://en.boardgamearena.com/#!tournament?id=3050 (turn-based robin Tokaido tournament)
It was supposed to start 4 hours ago. All games have been created but:
- we did not receive any notification (actually, I have already noticed that we do not receive notifications anymore for tournament games, at least for turn-based tournaments - I am speaking of green messages saying that you are expected at a table, which I used to get a few weeks ago)
- games do not start

Strangely, the games I am supposed to play are not listed in my "games in progress" list, but they are accounted for in my "games in progress" number...

EDIT: the games eventually started 8 hours later...
Last edited by chrisa on 15 January 2016, 07:25, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Official announcements [en]”