Replay instant positioning and going backward

Game development with Board Game Arena Studio
marcgenesis

Replay instant positioning and going backward

Post by marcgenesis »

** Keep in mind that I don't know how the underlying code works

I was wondering if implementing instant positioning and going backward in a table replay is something doable? Debugging something when it's on move 300 takes a really long time just going there, and if you miss what happen, you have to do it all over again.

I might be missing something, too!
Victoria_La

Re: Replay instant positioning and going backward

Post by Victoria_La »

deleted my answer, see Een's reply
Last edited by Victoria_La on 11 October 2016, 04:23, edited 1 time in total.
Een

Post by Een »

I'll expand on this as I think the op was talking about full game replay once the game is over, not in-game replay.
marcgenesis wrote: I was wondering if implementing instant positioning and going backward in a table replay is something doable?
Not currently: replay is done by going over a log of notifications/moves starting from the initial state.
So to get to move N-1, you have to start over from 0 and replay N-1 moves.
Debugging something when it's on move 300 takes a really long time just going there, and if you miss what happen, you have to do it all over again.
Easiest way is to use the "go to move" link (under the play buttons). You still have to wait for the replay to go forward, but that way you can do something else while the replay runs, and be sure not to miss the move you want to look at :)
Victoria_La

Post by Victoria_La »

Go to move actually not good either, because it takes very long and if you switch to other page in the browser its stops until you switch back.
Can go to move be implemented in shadow mode as in game replay (i.e instantly)?
marcgenesis

Post by marcgenesis »

Victoria_La wrote:Go to move actually not good either, because it takes very long and if you switch to other page in the browser its stops until you switch back.
Can go to move be implemented in shadow mode as in game replay (i.e instantly)?
Hum.. no? At least not for me in Firefox. When I use Go To Move, it goes to the move I indicated once I click Go, even if I start doing something else in another window.
Een wrote:I'll expand on this as I think the op was talking about full game replay once the game is over, not in-game replay.
marcgenesis wrote: I was wondering if implementing instant positioning and going backward in a table replay is something doable?
Not currently: replay is done by going over a log of notifications/moves starting from the initial state.
So to get to move N-1, you have to start over from 0 and replay N-1 moves.
Debugging something when it's on move 300 takes a really long time just going there, and if you miss what happen, you have to do it all over again.
Easiest way is to use the "go to move" link (under the play buttons). You still have to wait for the replay to go forward, but that way you can do something else while the replay runs, and be sure not to miss the move you want to look at :)
That's what I thought. Thank you Een for confirming my suspicion. Would adding a "Go back one move" button work?
Een

Post by Een »

Victoria_La wrote:Go to move actually not good either, because it takes very long and if you switch to other page in the browser its stops until you switch back.
I suspect this is a browser specific feature. For me, replay goes on in hidden tabs.
Victoria_La wrote:Can go to move be implemented in shadow mode as in game replay (i.e instantly)?
That's a good question, it would certainly be useful (NB: it's faster, but not instantaneous).
I don't know the answer, this is a question for sourisdudesert, if he happens to read this :)
marcgenesis wrote: Would adding a "Go back one move" button work?
Not sure what you mean by that, maybe a shortcut for "refresh to start over" then use "go to move" with current value minus one ? That would still take a lot of time.
Nanaki404

Post by Nanaki404 »

marcgenesis wrote: Hum.. no? At least not for me in Firefox. When I use Go To Move, it goes to the move I indicated once I click Go, even if I start doing something else in another window.
I noticed that the replay keeps going if I browse in another window, but not if I browse in another tab in the same window (with Firefox).
marcgenesis

Post by marcgenesis »

Een wrote:
marcgenesis wrote: Would adding a "Go back one move" button work?
Not sure what you mean by that, maybe a shortcut for "refresh to start over" then use "go to move" with current value minus one ? That would still take a lot of time.
I meant having a "Previous move" button, like the "Next move" one ;)
marcgenesis

Post by marcgenesis »

Nanaki404 wrote:
marcgenesis wrote: Hum.. no? At least not for me in Firefox. When I use Go To Move, it goes to the move I indicated once I click Go, even if I start doing something else in another window.
I noticed that the replay keeps going if I browse in another window, but not if I browse in another tab in the same window (with Firefox).
No problem for me with another tab.

Return to “Developers”