Time settings

Suggestions & ideas / Suggestions & idées
Alban_M

Time settings

Post by Alban_M »

BGA recently changes time options for the games... But for almost nothing, in my point of view...

In fact, fast speed can still gives some veeeeerrrrryyyyyy long games :cry:
When we get something like 1 min bonus time (looks like it is a lot more) per turn, this is definitely NOT fast...
But of course, every games don't need the same time per turn, so the problem seems hard.
I think the error you made is to try to find one way to manage time for all game with only 3 choices, this is impossible.

Well, I got a very simple solution :
Give us adjustable time settings, like in chess!
I mean let us choose a starting time (from 1 min to 1 hour, per example) and a bonus time per turn (from 0 sec to 5 min, per example). I mean 2 adjustable options, or in worse case a lot of choose from really fast to really slow (not only 3 option, all quite slow).
So everyone, in every game, could choose time settings that really make sense...

I really hope you'll make this, cause time setting is almost the only thing that is not good/nice on BGA.
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Re: Time settings

Post by sourisdudesert »

Hello

Thanks. We are not doing this for several reasons, but the main one is the following : if you are not used to play this game on BGA, you can't know if "3 minutes" or "1 mn" is enough or too slow. It means nothing to you.

The current system (for realtime) checks every 100 games how many time penalties % there have been. If there are too many, it increases the additional time. If there are too few, it decreases it. So basically, you may think that "fast" is not fast enough, but statistically there are enough players that cannot play this fast, and consequently the algorithm do not decrease the time.
Alban_M

Post by Alban_M »

OK, nice!

Then at least, create a very fast option...
Silene

Post by Silene »

I think speed is not increasing because some players play "fast game" who are not very fast and therefore hindering proper adjustment of the settings.

I think very fast (blitz) gamers should get a room here and I like the suggestion of chosing the time yourself very much. It would help to label the table with "blitz", "fast", "medium", "slow" according to the time limit set. So if minimum-requirement for base/additional time is met, the table would get the according label for players to see an estimation.
Hosting Allround-League: https://boardgamearena.com/group?id=7870115 --> a league where you have matches of random games vs. other players in your group - season 6 started in Nov. '23 with 128 participants.
Silene

Post by Silene »

sourisdudesert wrote:The current system (for realtime) checks every 100 games how many time penalties % there have been. If there are too many, it increases the additional time. If there are too few, it decreases it. So basically, you may think that "fast" is not fast enough, but statistically there are enough players that cannot play this fast, and consequently the algorithm do not decrease the time.
Does this mean

A) Time penalties % in fast games are checked to adjust fast speed additional time + normal games checked to adjust normal speed time + slow games are checked to adjust slow speed time

or

B) Time penalties for all games are added and then all 3 time settings are being adjusted accordingly?

?
Hosting Allround-League: https://boardgamearena.com/group?id=7870115 --> a league where you have matches of random games vs. other players in your group - season 6 started in Nov. '23 with 128 participants.
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Post by sourisdudesert »

This is the right answer :

=> Time penalties for all games are added and then all 3 time settings are being adjusted accordingly
yzemaze

Post by yzemaze »

I’d like a blitz-option, too. I don’t see why it would be harmful to offer another level for those of us who need less thinking time and would like their games to be as fast as possible. Just because most people don’t play this fast doesn’t have to mean those who do have to suffer through painfully slow games. Something along the lines of 50 to 70 % of "fast" times would be fine with me.
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

Alban_M wrote: Well, I got a very simple solution :
Give us adjustable time settings, like in chess!
I mean let us choose a starting time (from 1 min to 1 hour, per example) and a bonus time per turn (from 0 sec to 5 min, per example). I mean 2 adjustable options, or in worse case a lot of choose from really fast to really slow (not only 3 option, all quite slow).
So everyone, in every game, could choose time settings that really make sense...
You consider your allowance to take your turn as a bonus?

I agree that you may have an inaccurate idea of how long turns are taking. Because of that, adjusting it themselves may not be the best idea. And people who take the invite might not realize it either. (And who knows, may not be easy to program, and therefore not a "simple" solution.)

Although since others have requested it, I see nothing wrong with adding a faster category. But some of us might appreciate having a slower time added as well. I detest the timer and never take live games except something simple like Yahtzee. Maybe I would if there were a slower time as well. I don't like playing all hyper - I'm trying to relax.

In fact, all you people wanting faster times maybe need to drink a little less Starbucks.
Willie333b

Post by Willie333b »

Some options are even crazier that the bonus time is greater than the base time.

Return to “Suggestions”