Confusion over the "Validate" button when guessing

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
charlesa

Confusion over the "Validate" button when guessing

Post by charlesa »

I've played Decrypto a few times and whenever I come back to it, I'm always confused about what the "Validate" button will do when my team is guessing.

Will it?
A. Tell my teammates that I'm probably done with **my** guesses?
B. Submit my guesses as the team's submission without even allowing my teammate to guess?
Guudys

Re: Confusion over the "Validate" button when guessing

Post by Guudys »

Basically, it means you're locking it in BUT it doesn't mean that you validate it for the whole team. Every player in your team will need to validate the same code to be accepted as the team's answer. If you validate and then someone else validates a different code, their code will be green (sign it's validated) and yours will be back to white where you can change your code.
Jim III

Post by Jim III »

The validate system could really use a change. Multiple times I’ve played with new players who continually validate a different answer to the rest, and won’t discuss their thoughts with the team so we’ve eventually just got to agree with them or never play the game.

Having it take the majority answers, or maybe cap it at 3 rounds of validating followed by a combination of majority + randomly picking where there is none could do the trick. Or honestly even just a clear message along the lines of validating the same answer again won’t progress the game, try discussing with your team.
MiniIdea

Post by MiniIdea »

Jim III wrote: 20 June 2023, 09:06 The validate system could really use a change. Multiple times I’ve played with new players who continually validate a different answer to the rest, and won’t discuss their thoughts with the team so we’ve eventually just got to agree with them or never play the game.

Having it take the majority answers, or maybe cap it at 3 rounds of validating followed by a combination of majority + randomly picking where there is none could do the trick. Or honestly even just a clear message along the lines of validating the same answer again won’t progress the game, try discussing with your team.
I agree with this but mostly we don't get to change our answers when we submit it and then we realize a better answer. plus the encriptor should be muted or whatever until everyone validates.
JermyD

Post by JermyD »

I think I understand the discussion here and I think I have the same one. But to be sure here is a snapshot explaining my own question

question.jpg
question.jpg (51.09 KiB) Viewed 486 times
GeraldineMerida

Post by GeraldineMerida »

The only time your validation overrules your teammates answers is during tie breaks. (The dev was not willing to change this, though I think it's horrible.)

During normal play, if you validate different answers to someone else, they will be given a chance to rethink (and can validate their original answers again if they wish).
JermyD

Post by JermyD »

GeraldineMerida wrote: 30 July 2023, 01:24 The only time your validation overrules your teammates answers is during tie breaks. (The dev was not willing to change this, though I think it's horrible.)

I fully agree with that

Return to “Decrypto”