What is the best way to play a game with the "more salt" extension?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
SymphonyNo28CoTkin

What is the best way to play a game with the "more salt" extension?

Post by SymphonyNo28CoTkin »

How to play this game? Especially with the "more salt" extension. Maybe there are some special tactics? There are no guides for this game anywhere. Yes, it's a simple game, but for example poker also has an easy entry threshold, and there are many tactics on the internet.
Without expansion, my% of wins is 33%. With him 10%. I tried to play in the arena, people collect anchors, a multiplier for it or a seahorse from the first 5 moves. They give me one last chance for 8-10 points and I can't do anything. If I take a shark, I don't have time to steal and the same thing happens. The opponents brazenly steal cards from the discard every turn, I can't do anything about it, they win. And they say there is no randomness in this game, and this often happens with this addition. There are 8 more cards in the expansion, but the players always collect what they need. How?
I tried to play through fish and boats, also with an octopus. Sometimes one swimmer to protect the mermaid. Crabs are harvested for anchors, penguins or octopuses in the dump.
My tactic is, you score 7 points, you finish the game right away. 10-12 points for fewer cards, you give one last chance.
Meeplelowda

Re: What is the best way to play a game with the "more salt" extension?

Post by Meeplelowda »

SymphonyNo28CoTkin wrote: 08 February 2024, 21:58And they say there is no randomness in this game, and this often happens with this addition.
Who is "they" and when and where did "they" say this? In any game drawing from a shuffled deck you are going to get lucky draws and unlucky draws. I've had an opponent go Last Chance after three draws because they drew penguin, penguin, colony. I, on the other hand, have drawn 4 mermaids once. Not on the first 4 cards; that would be phenomenal. But doing it at all is a feat. Maybe I stole one of them, I don't remember. I've only had it done once against me. The point is, that was super-lucky and there is nothing you can do about it.

You talk about the games where the players "the players always collect what they need," but what about the games you win by a score of something like 42 to 17? A lot of that had to do with your luck in collecting what you need and your opponent's unluckiness. You can't focus on when you opponent got lucky and forget about when you did. Just as I can't rue when my opponent got 4 mermaids against me, ignoring that I've done the same to someone else.

The thing I like about SS&P is encountering lots of different strategies. Some people take liberally from the discards. Some never do....even when there is a mermaid sitting right there on top. Some like octopuses. Some like shells. Some grab every single fish they see (maybe hoping to find the shoal at some point). It's fun to get a sense of what someone is doing after examining their first hand, then try to counter it on later hands.
SymphonyNo28CoTkin

Post by SymphonyNo28CoTkin »

Meeplelowda wrote: 08 February 2024, 23:03
SymphonyNo28CoTkin wrote: 08 February 2024, 21:58And they say there is no randomness in this game, and this often happens with this addition.
Who is "they" and when and where did "they" say this? In any game drawing from a shuffled deck you are going to get lucky draws and unlucky draws. I've had an opponent go Last Chance after three draws because they drew penguin, penguin, colony. I, on the other hand, have drawn 4 mermaids once. Not on the first 4 cards; that would be phenomenal. But doing it at all is a feat. Maybe I stole one of them, I don't remember. I've only had it done once against me. The point is, that was super-lucky and there is nothing you can do about it.

You talk about the games where the players "the players always collect what they need," but what about the games you win by a score of something like 42 to 17? A lot of that had to do with your luck in collecting what you need and your opponent's unluckiness. You can't focus on when you opponent got lucky and forget about when you did. Just as I can't rue when my opponent got 4 mermaids against me, ignoring that I've done the same to someone else.

The thing I like about SS&P is encountering lots of different strategies. Some people take liberally from the discards. Some never do....even when there is a mermaid sitting right there on top. Some like octopuses. Some like shells. Some grab every single fish they see (maybe hoping to find the shoal at some point). It's fun to get a sense of what someone is doing after examining their first hand, then try to counter it on later hands.
"They" is one guy on YouTube said who participated in the World Cup on the site. I don't know him personally. He said that the output of the cards, although random, but the decision depends on you, the options.
Maybe you're right, I focus too much on failure. I have never seen 4 mermaids in my 62 games, of which 23 were victories. At most, I collected 3 mermaids a couple of times, and my opponent had the fourth.

On the other hand, I don't understand how to play with the new cards from Expansion "More Salt". With a trump card, a seahorse, you can even finish with one anchor. And when the opponent has a skate, it is unknown. The multiplier for crabs is generally clear. And when is it better to use a jellyfish with a swimmer? When does the opponent have a lot of cards? At the beginning of the game is definitely not the best idea. Stars, I also don't know which cards are better to use, because the boats will stop working and get + 3 points, probably crabs are more profitable if they are not needed? Uh, cancer, in principle, you can play anytime, it looks very good, look at 5 cards, it is advisable not to leave the necessary ones to the opponent)

Perhaps some players consider the probability of the cards coming out to be %. For example, out of 58 I need one card, an anchor, let's say the chance of it is 2.5%. 5% since you take 2 cards out of the deck. Well, I'm unlikely to find a table, according to the % chance, to take out each card. It's complicated math.
Meeplelowda

Post by Meeplelowda »

SymphonyNo28CoTkin wrote: 10 February 2024, 01:26 I have never seen 4 mermaids in my 62 games, of which 23 were victories.
The game stats say the occurrence of 4 mermaids is 0.01 times per game, I've played 269 games and have seen it twice, so it's in the ballpark of what you'd expect (with something so rare you need very large sample sizes to get useful stats). So it's not unusual that you haven't seen it in 62 games.
SymphonyNo28CoTkin wrote: 10 February 2024, 01:26 Perhaps some players consider the probability of the cards coming out to be %. For example, out of 58 I need one card, an anchor, let's say the chance of it is 2.5%. 5% since you take 2 cards out of the deck. Well, I'm unlikely to find a table, according to the % chance, to take out each card. It's complicated math.
It's absolutely beneficial to consider how many of a certain card you've seen in the discards and factor in how likely it is that you will draw it, or that your opponent has it.
Earthboundia

Post by Earthboundia »

SymphonyNo28CoTkin wrote: 08 February 2024, 21:58 How to play this game? Especially with the "more salt" extension. Maybe there are some special tactics? There are no guides for this game anywhere. Yes, it's a simple game, but for example poker also has an easy entry threshold, and there are many tactics on the internet.
Without expansion, my% of wins is 33%. With him 10%. I tried to play in the arena, people collect anchors, a multiplier for it or a seahorse from the first 5 moves. They give me one last chance for 8-10 points and I can't do anything. If I take a shark, I don't have time to steal and the same thing happens. The opponents brazenly steal cards from the discard every turn, I can't do anything about it, they win. And they say there is no randomness in this game, and this often happens with this addition. There are 8 more cards in the expansion, but the players always collect what they need. How?
I tried to play through fish and boats, also with an octopus. Sometimes one swimmer to protect the mermaid. Crabs are harvested for anchors, penguins or octopuses in the dump.
My tactic is, you score 7 points, you finish the game right away. 10-12 points for fewer cards, you give one last chance.
My tactic is to grab the seahorse if possible. Whoever gets that almost always wins the round. (The exception being if someone shark steals the seahorse for themselves).

Return to “Sea Salt & Paper”