Any way to turn off sound effects on mobile?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
tectactoe

Any way to turn off sound effects on mobile?

Post by tectactoe »

Strangely enough, I have sound effects TURNED OFF in my general BGA user profile settings. And from what I can tell, no other games I've played have sounds effects with this option turned off.

However, Maracaibo still plays the sound effects. Water rushing when you move your ship, coins jangling when you earn money, etc. This usually wouldn't be a big deal, but when I'm playing on mobile and listening to music on the phone, the sound effects cause the music to stop playing which is annoying.

I don't see any options within the Maracaibo UI itself that separately controls sound effects.

Anybody else experience this and/or know of a solution?
Mogri

Re: Any way to turn off sound effects on mobile?

Post by Mogri »

tectactoe wrote: 21 February 2024, 18:09 Strangely enough, I have sound effects TURNED OFF in my general BGA user profile settings. And from what I can tell, no other games I've played have sounds effects with this option turned off.

However, Maracaibo still plays the sound effects. Water rushing when you move your ship, coins jangling when you earn money, etc. This usually wouldn't be a big deal, but when I'm playing on mobile and listening to music on the phone, the sound effects cause the music to stop playing which is annoying.

I don't see any options within the Maracaibo UI itself that separately controls sound effects.

Anybody else experience this and/or know of a solution?
I just tried on desktop. The sound effects definitely respect the current volume setting (the one you see at the top right of the page), and the current volume setting defaults to whatever you set in your profile. However, if you don't see the pink "speaker with X" icon on your profile setting, then you're not actually muted -- the sound will still play, possibly at 0 volume. I was able to reproduce all of this on my phone (Android/Chrome).

That's not what you're describing, though, so maybe there's a different behavior on your device.

Can you confirm the following?

1. When I tap on my avatar, I see the pink "speaker with x" next to the sound slider.
2. When I rotate my phone to landscape mode, I see the speaker icon in the menu bar at the top of the page.
3. The speaker icon in the menu bar does not show sound waves.

If all of that is true, then the sound should not be playing. What device/browser are you using?
tectactoe

Post by tectactoe »

Hi yes, the sound slider is all the way down (with an X) and yet Maracaibo still plays sound effects.

I am on an iPhone 14 Pro, Safari browser.
Mogri

Post by Mogri »

tectactoe wrote: 22 February 2024, 20:08 Hi yes, the sound slider is all the way down (with an X) and yet Maracaibo still plays sound effects.

I am on an iPhone 14 Pro, Safari browser.
Can you please confirm the icon in the menu bar (#2 and 3 above)? You will need to rotate to landscape to see it.

Return to “Maracaibo”