Finding out which explorer is ahead on the exploration track.

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Ssserrrge

Finding out which explorer is ahead on the exploration track.

Post by Ssserrrge »

This question is in relation to the bug, which the dev considers not a bug. In your opinion, which explorer on this pic is ahead on the exploration track: green one or blue one ?

This is what the rules say:

"If Jean’s explorer is ahead of yours on the explorer track, she scores 10 points. ... (If the explorers are on different branches of
the path, count how far each explorer is away from the next barrier. The explorer who needs fewer spaces to reach the barrier counts as
‘ahead’. In the case of a tie Jean scores nothing.)"

I do not believe the "If the explorers are on different branches of the path" applies here, because the explorers are not on different branches: the blue explorer is not on any branch - it's on the main trunk. The "if" in the previous quote suggests that there is a different rule in case the condition (different branches) is not true, and that would be a "regular" way of finding out who is ahead on the track, which, unfortunately, is not explicitly described in the rules. I think a regular "common sense" rule of finding out who "is ahead ... on the explorer track" would be: whoever is further from the start of the track following any path (but the same branches should be followed for both explorers, of course).

So, in my opinion, the green explorer is ahead of the blue one. Is this correct ?
Mogri

Re: Finding out which explorer is ahead on the exploration track.

Post by Mogri »

There is no "trunk." The explorers are on different branches. Your interpretation would make it impossible for explorers to be on different branches.

You can think of the rule as saying, "count the minimum number of spaces from the explorer to the end." It's going to take the green explorer more steps to get to the end. The blue explorer is ahead.
Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

Thanks for the discussion. This helps everyone see the clarification on how these rules are handled.

In the picture, green needs to travel more spaces than blue does in order to reach the next barrier. In other words, blue is closed to the end that green is, so blue is considered in the lead.

If you want to think about it in terms of branches, blue is on what you called "the main trunk" branch while green is on the second-tier side branch. Regardless of how you look at it, blue is closer to the finish line, which is what the rules are trying to measure.
Ssserrrge wrote: 01 March 2024, 14:53the dev considers not a bug
Ssserrrge wrote: 01 March 2024, 14:53I think a regular "common sense" rule
Developers are obligated to follow the rules, so they can't prioritize what "feels" right over what the rules themselves say. The rules are measuring who is closer to the end, not who is farther from the beginning.
Ssserrrge

Post by Ssserrrge »

Kayvon wrote: 01 March 2024, 16:36The rules are measuring who is closer to the end, not who is farther from the beginning.
I've posted the same question on BGG and the designer confirmed the explorers are on different branches. The problem is that his definition of a branch differs from a regular one. To me (and I'm pretty sure to most people), the branches start after the fork in the path and they end once they join into one path again. A single unsplit path is not a branch. Too bad the rules do not define specifically what is meant by "branch" in this game.

I just have to say that the structure/wording of the paragraph explaining exploration scoring is confusing. Looks like "closer to the next barrier" algorithm should be used ALWAYS, regardless of explorers being on different branches or on the same branch. Putting the "(If the explorers are on different branches of the path...)" part into parentheses and using "if" makes it look like it's an algorithm of finding out who is ahead in a specific case (when explorers are on different branches) and implies there's a different "common sense" algorithm of finding out who is ahead in all other "regular" cases when the explorers are not on different branches (which is whoever is farther from the start of the track for most people). They could just have written "If Jean’s explorer is ahead of yours on the explorer track (being "ahead" means whoever needs fewer spaces to reach the barrier always following the shortest path) ...". Period.
Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

Ssserrrge wrote: 04 March 2024, 23:25They could just have written "If Jean’s explorer is ahead of yours on the explorer track (being "ahead" means whoever needs fewer spaces to reach the barrier always following the shortest path) ...". Period.
I think we've found some common ground here. There are a few areas where the rules could have been clearer to prevent multiple interpretations.
cigma

Post by cigma »

Ssserrrge wrote: 04 March 2024, 23:25 To me (and I'm pretty sure to most people), the branches start after the fork in the path and they end once they join into one path again. A single unsplit path is not a branch.
Thanks for your clarification (I had previously misinterpreted your definition of "branches"). Now I do agree with you: The blue explorer is standing on the fork, the branches only start after this point. The blue explorer has not decided yet which branch to take. It might follow the green explorer, thus they both are to be considered as stil on the same path.
#zan_zendegi_azadi / #woman_life_freedom
#StandWithUkraine
Language is a source of misunderstanding. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery: The Little Prince) But it is also the source of understanding - it all depends on how you use it. :-)
Mogri

Post by Mogri »

You've taken this to BGG as well now: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/325757 ... tion-track

As Alexander Pfister personally clarified that the blue explorer is ahead, that should hopefully put this matter to rest.
Ssserrrge

Post by Ssserrrge »

Mogri wrote: 05 March 2024, 16:18 You've taken this to BGG as well now: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/325757 ... tion-track

As Alexander Pfister personally clarified that the blue explorer is ahead, that should hopefully put this matter to rest.
Yes, the designer himself clarified the explorers are on different branches. I find his definition of a branch a bit odd, but I'm fine with it.

On a bright side, it's good this happened in my game with the lady Automa: now I'm more prepared for competitive games.
greenjacket124

Post by greenjacket124 »

Ssserrrge wrote: 05 March 2024, 19:31
Mogri wrote: 05 March 2024, 16:18 You've taken this to BGG as well now: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/325757 ... tion-track

Yes, the designer himself clarified the explorers are on different branches. I find his definition of a branch a bit odd, but I'm fine with it.
I guess I'm curious on what your definition of branch would be for it. Does it help to think of it more as a railway siding?

Return to “Maracaibo”