Research Gearing Limits, Unpredictable Research

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
TacticalSurrender

Research Gearing Limits, Unpredictable Research

Post by TacticalSurrender »

Hello

I am playing in a game with research gearing limits, and I have no techs that I can buy for 10. So I am essentially shut out of research for the game. Reading through BGG, it seems that they work better with unpredictable research rules, so you always have a 5CP "tech" to purchase. Are there plans to add Unpredictable Research?

Thanks
Lunalol

Re: Research Gearing Limits, Unpredictable Research

Post by Lunalol »

Currently, I have no plan.
Ron Gianti

Post by Ron Gianti »

I'm in a game with this option turned on now. Does it simply mean that most tech is unavailable for the game?

Thanks,

:geek:

edit: got the answer from another player: research can go up, but only at +5 more than the turn before.
Salim Hrdonozka

Post by Salim Hrdonozka »

I would like unpredictable research too, but if it wont be implemented, can you add one of these solutions for tech-lock after not buying tech for one turn:
- max spent CPs = max ( 10 , minimum over tech price )
- Empty tech with several levels all for 10 CP
?
Also can there be found source code for BGA games and in what language are they written?
TacticalSurrender

Post by TacticalSurrender »

I started a suggestion if anyone wants to vote for it:

https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=110461
Ron Gianti

Post by Ron Gianti »

Personally, I simply do not like the meta-game that research gearing limits creates. It doesn't add anything to the game that I enjoy, so I simply don't join games that use it any longer. It doesn't seem to add anything tactical to the game except a "Aha! I win the game because you weren't looking at this artificial meta-game and I was" - others seem to enjoy it, so good for them, I just avoid it.
Catyoul

Post by Catyoul »

Ron Gianti wrote: 14 January 2024, 02:53 Personally, I simply do not like the meta-game that research gearing limits creates. It doesn't add anything to the game that I enjoy, so I simply don't join games that use it any longer. It doesn't seem to add anything tactical to the game except a "Aha! I win the game because you weren't looking at this artificial meta-game and I was" - others seem to enjoy it, so good for them, I just avoid it.
I agree, I've tried it twice now, it introduces some novelty, but mostly restricts the game imho.

And to answer OP's question, it's quite simple, in a game with research gearing limits on, you only have 2 tech that cost 10, Ship size 2 and Mine Sweeper 1. After that, you can never stop researching every single turn, or you're done for the game.

But to each their own.

Return to “Space Empires: 4X”