Reporting players who block - just why?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Robarkson

Re: Reporting players who block - just why?

Post by Robarkson »

This is a funny and fun thread to read. I play many games and most of them have some form of "blocking". In Carcassonne for instance it is a HUGE part of the game. But for whatever reason TTR is different for me and blocking for the pure sake of blocking in TTR annoys me highly so I just red thumb anyone who does that. I don't "report" them because they haven't broken the rules, and when I red thumb them I choose the "just for me" option because again, they haven't broken any rules. I also don't quit the game because that is bad etiquette at the very least. TTR just happens to be a game I enjoy playing but don't enjoy the aggressive blocking tactic so I avoid opponents who use it as much as I can.
MadManMark

Post by MadManMark »

embattled llama wrote: 22 July 2023, 07:25Blockers will nearly always beat those who don't block.
With all due respect, that is completely wrong. I usually eat pure blockers for lunch. Good players know how to counter the primarily-block strategy.

I'm gonna share a secret: at least some of the top players are amused that all this handwringing is going on about blockers, how its unfair and unfun because its some kind of absolutely unbeatable strategy, there is no counter to it. It isn't. On the contrary, there's not a single pure blocker anywhere near the top of the rankings (yes, active blocking is a arrow in the quiver, but its not the only arrow). Folks with their undies in a bundle over opponents that use it should maybe recycle the effort they put into posting rants about it, and redirect into thinking about how to counter it. Isn't that what is supposed to be fun about strategy games, devising not just strategies, but counterstrategies??
ckoooooo

Post by ckoooooo »

I must admit that I don’t block too much, unless the other person is a high-level player. But blocking is NOT against the rules. In the upper levels it is expected and is a major part of strategy. With high-level playing both players look for a strategic opportunity to block. This has been part of Ticket to ride since it was created. It’s what makes it such an interesting game with a more complex strategy than it first seems.
I have been blocked—HARD—often, sometimes it’s hard to take but I like the challenge of it. Being upset about this fundamental aspect of the game is like complaining if someone checks you in Chess. I do not want to play some dumbed-down simplified version of this game. Instead I want to rise to the challenge of blocking and up my game!
AQTMamma

Post by AQTMamma »

coffeelion322 wrote: 12 January 2023, 23:56 I've heard from a couple Ticket to Ride connoisseurs that they get threatened in the chat, rage quit on, or straight up reported if they block their opponents. My question is, what the hey? If someone clearly has a certain route that's going to get them a lot of points and the opponent has the opportunity to block it and increase their chance of winning, why shouldn't they? The goal is to get the most points, after all. I get that it's really frustrating when it happens to you, but getting angry at the opponent is childish. I would consider buying a hard copy of the game and playing it solo if you just want to build some train routes uninterrupted.
Giant agree!!! It’s part of the strategy of the game. Otherwise it’s basically Chutes & Ladders.
castlerockgreg

Post by castlerockgreg »

AQTMamma wrote: 18 April 2024, 14:02
Giant agree!!! It’s part of the strategy of the game. Otherwise it’s basically Chutes & Ladders.
Are you putting down Chutes and Ladders??? How dare thee!
castlerockgreg

Post by castlerockgreg »

AamStarRunner wrote: 24 January 2023, 00:45 .... and he blocked again. Different routes that couldn’t possible be related to a strategy. This happened one more time before I quit the game (I’d rather take the karma penalty than play out a game where this is happening) and reported them.
Wait a second.....am I reading this correctly? A player was more skillful than you and you reported them???? I seriously hope anyone reporting anyone else for playing skillfully gets themselves banned from the site. That's completely absurd.
ChiefPointThief

Post by ChiefPointThief »

castlerockgreg wrote: 11 May 2024, 02:38
AamStarRunner wrote: 24 January 2023, 00:45 .... and he blocked again. Different routes that couldn’t possible be related to a strategy. This happened one more time before I quit the game (I’d rather take the karma penalty than play out a game where this is happening) and reported them.
Wait a second.....am I reading this correctly? A player was more skillful than you and you reported them???? I seriously hope anyone reporting anyone else for playing skillfully gets themselves banned from the site. That's completely absurd.
It has been awhile since I’ve read this thread. What option is being chose to report people for doing this? Also is it being upheld?

Edit: reread 1st page. I forgot how comical this thread was
:lol:
TheLasertagguy

Post by TheLasertagguy »

Wow. just wow. I'd been posting in the other block-whining thread.

Blocking is a situational strategy that may or may not work. It certainly doesn't work all the time and it is dependent on what tickets I have and what tickets I perceive my opponent to have. I expect it as a potential response from players especially in midgame and build paths accordingly.

I have had plenty of people quit on me when I was perceived to be blocking them, sometimes I was sometimes I wasn't. I think this is childish, but they are welcome to quit because I don't want to listen to their whining in chat. I politely remind them that I am playing within the rules and they are not obligated to play in the arena or with people they don't know. People are crazy childish. It reminds me of laser tag (get it, my log in here).

I have played competitive laser tag off and on for almost 40 years. People play laser tag in their home centers and get into bubbles. They assume they are really, really good...go to a tournament...get trashed by people who have been playing much longer than they...and come back with "you cheated."

It's petty and ridiculous...and a little bit funny to see grown men and women balled up like a little baby.

These non-blocking threads remind me of that.
RyanPossibles

Post by RyanPossibles »

Yeah I've had the same thing happen and have said ifII wanted to play with traiI'dI'd buyaa train this is a game and those are the ruleI've've had it happen so many times and to be honest now it's just funny. Even funnier with a bit of wine,. Lol
Cade37

Post by Cade37 »

coffeelion322 wrote: 12 January 2023, 23:56 I've heard from a couple Ticket to Ride connoisseurs that they get threatened in the chat, rage quit on, or straight up reported if they block their opponents. My question is, what the hey? If someone clearly has a certain route that's going to get them a lot of points and the opponent has the opportunity to block it and increase their chance of winning, why shouldn't they? The goal is to get the most points, after all. I get that it's really frustrating when it happens to you, but getting angry at the opponent is childish. I would consider buying a hard copy of the game and playing it solo if you just want to build some train routes uninterrupted.
It is bush league. Play your own game. Don't worry about blocking mine.

Return to “Ticket to Ride”