Before you post or report a bug about slipstream...

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
MjolnirMay

Re: Before you post or report a bug about slipstream...

Post by MjolnirMay »

Phoxtrot wrote: 16 November 2023, 13:25 A small bump because we are still getting "bug reports" :D
Just had a guy complain about this in the chat a thousand times. I redirected him here lol
BenInJapan

Post by BenInJapan »

What is this supposed bug anyways? It never occurred to me that the current implementation would be wrong anywhere...

Are people assuming you could use slipstream to get around a corner without having to pay heat when they are over the speed limit for that particular corner?
Tisaac

Post by Tisaac »

BenInJapan wrote: 08 December 2023, 02:42 What is this supposed bug anyways? It never occurred to me that the current implementation would be wrong anywhere...

Are people assuming you could use slipstream to get around a corner without having to pay heat when they are over the speed limit for that particular corner?
Exactly that. People misread the "no additional speed" and thinks they get around a corner without check
Sockettrousers

Post by Sockettrousers »

So I came here before reporting that bug but, I think the rules summary on the BGA pages say: "Note: Slipstreaming does NOT increase your Speed value for the purpose of the Check Corner step."

So how am I and all those other people interpreting this rule incorrectly :-(
PaulB-UK

Post by PaulB-UK »

Slipstreaming doesn't increase your speed for the corner check, but the corner check still happens - and the speed that will be checked is the amount you moved before slipstreaming.

If you move at speed 3 and slipstream round a speed limit 3 corner you will have moved 5 spaces but your speed is 3 - and you'll pay 0 heat.

If you move at speed 5 and slipstream round a speed limit 3 corner you will have moved 7 spaces but your speed is 5 - and you'll pay 2 heat.
Phoxtrot

Post by Phoxtrot »

Yeap, or as I gave in an example earlier:

Example 1:
- If you are at speed 14 just before a speed 10 corner line and you use slipstream, you will cross that corner at speed 14 and take 4 heat (in phase 7).

Speed did not increase for the purpose of the corner check: it was 14 and it still is 14.
But you do get the check because there is absolutely zero reason why you wouldn't.
BenInJapan

Post by BenInJapan »

Sockettrousers wrote: 11 December 2023, 12:16 So I came here before reporting that bug but, I think the rules summary on the BGA pages say: "Note: Slipstreaming does NOT increase your Speed value for the purpose of the Check Corner step."

So how am I and all those other people interpreting this rule incorrectly :-(
I'm still curious: How exactly are you interpreting that rule?
Phoxtrot

Post by Phoxtrot »

Yeah, I'm a bit baffled too.

I fully understand how you can get it wrong at the table : you read or listen to the rules but you store the information into your brain as "slipstream is safe", partially because slipstream and speed increase is used in the rules before speed and corner checks are actually defined properly.
(Which is why the rule should add an explicit mention that you are NOT safe from corner checks. They really should have spotted that during play testing with new players or by monkey proof reading the rules. I have introduced the game to new players IRL and I had to save two of them from making the mistake.)

But to actually quote the rule and interpret "does not increase speed" as "immune to corner checks" is strange.
Meeplelowda

Post by Meeplelowda »

Phoxtrot wrote: 14 December 2023, 02:29But to actually quote the rule and interpret "does not increase speed" as "immune to corner checks" is strange.
Especially given that it makes zero sense thematically. Is slipstream supposed to be some kind of magical inertial dampening system like in Star Trek? Ignoring that a vehicle traveled a greater distance in the same amount of time yet didn't increase its speed isn't already magical enough?
dlosted

Post by dlosted »

Check Corner step says:
Speed = Sum of the values of all the cards in your Play Area, +1 if you used the Adrenaline Bonus
It doesn't mention to add slipstream value.
It also confirms Note on point 6:
Note: Slipstreaming does NOT increase your Speed value for the purpose of the Check Corner step.

Return to “Heat: Pedal to the Metal”