Could players choose their cards all at the same time?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
DrRockenheimer

Re: Could players choose their cards all at the same time?

Post by DrRockenheimer »

Tisaac wrote: 13 November 2023, 00:07
DrRockenheimer wrote: 12 November 2023, 09:36 For additional speedup, it is theoretically possible in a game like Heat, that the initial player(s) in current turn order could move their car(s) before later players have selected their cards (because those card selections do not affect play options for the leading cars). This could help streamline various situations that slow games down because of overlapping downtime in the players' schedules. The trick would be concealing such "jump the gun" moves from any players who haven't completed their card selection. I don't know if anything like that has been implemented on BGA, but it seems that it would require a bit of coding trickery that goes beyond the standard architecture.
Preselection seems like much more easier than the "hide and reveal" alternative that have been discussed before, we will give it a try.
I am not sure if it's that good though because it sounds like you want to know where are others when planning your turn quite often during the race.
It would work like this:

Players A, B, and C end a round with their cars on the track in alphabetical order. Player B shows up, makes their card selection and waits. Then Player A shows up, makes their card selection, but then is allowed to move their car. Because although C has not selected cards yet, that does not affect A's options and C's selections will not be revealed until their car-moving steps anyway. Then B shows up and also is allowed to move their car. Then C finally shows up, selects their cards, (but rather than wait for A and B to show up again, as would be required now) moves their car, and then selects again for the next round, etc. The biggest sticking point I assume is that car moves cannot be visible to players who have not yet selected in that round.
Tisaac

Post by Tisaac »

DrRockenheimer wrote: 13 November 2023, 04:18
Tisaac wrote: 13 November 2023, 00:07
DrRockenheimer wrote: 12 November 2023, 09:36 For additional speedup, it is theoretically possible in a game like Heat, that the initial player(s) in current turn order could move their car(s) before later players have selected their cards (because those card selections do not affect play options for the leading cars). This could help streamline various situations that slow games down because of overlapping downtime in the players' schedules. The trick would be concealing such "jump the gun" moves from any players who haven't completed their card selection. I don't know if anything like that has been implemented on BGA, but it seems that it would require a bit of coding trickery that goes beyond the standard architecture.
Preselection seems like much more easier than the "hide and reveal" alternative that have been discussed before, we will give it a try.
I am not sure if it's that good though because it sounds like you want to know where are others when planning your turn quite often during the race.
It would work like this:

Players A, B, and C end a round with their cars on the track in alphabetical order. Player B shows up, makes their card selection and waits. Then Player A shows up, makes their card selection, but then is allowed to move their car. Because although C has not selected cards yet, that does not affect A's options and C's selections will not be revealed until their car-moving steps anyway. Then B shows up and also is allowed to move their car. Then C finally shows up, selects their cards, (but rather than wait for A and B to show up again, as would be required now) moves their car, and then selects again for the next round, etc. The biggest sticking point I assume is that car moves cannot be visible to players who have not yet selected in that round.
Then no, it's similar to the "hide and reveal" other solution discussed earlier that would be really hard to code.
Preselection as i understand it is : whenever you made your turn and before everyone is done with current turn, you can preselect the cards you want to play in next round and if you do do, you wont be waken up during the multiactive planification phase but only during the reveal and move and react phases. This is simple enough to do but implies that are you making choices without seeing where everyone finish their turn (if you want to use this feature, that is. You could also just wait as currently done)
KrisHatchetman

Post by KrisHatchetman »

Resurrecting this post as just now I felt the lack of "Cancel" button: I just played the much awaited "Body 6" card having 3 stress cards - perfect combintaion. But I was using this card for the first time and by mistake clicked to dispose of 1 stress card instead of all 3 (for some reason I was thinking that i will have to click each of 3 cards to dispose of them all, idk, friday brain). Anyway, the system disposed of 1 stress card and I was left in utter shock looking for the cancel button... which was not there :D So yeah, it would be really helpful if you could cancel your recent actions or revert the whole turn (until you click "Finish turn" ofc) like it is in many other games.

Return to “Heat: Pedal to the Metal”