A new lobby for BGA

What's new on BGA ?
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Re: A new lobby for BGA

Post by sourisdudesert »

CG9000 wrote: 15 September 2019, 17:48 and can't request anyone either.
Did you read the previous post??

The suggestions are now available again.
marilyn monroe wrote: 15 September 2019, 17:50 I don't like that you can not remove the games you play
Clicking on the "Heart" icon remove the games from your favorites.
marilyn monroe wrote: 15 September 2019, 17:50 Can not invite players
Yes you can.

If you are talking about suggestions, see remarks above.
marilyn monroe wrote: 15 September 2019, 17:50 Can not see games that are in play
Yes you can: click on "Games" => (pick a game) => Games in progress

Again: we all know that changes are difficult, but please EXPLAIN your use case and situation, and please take the time to understand the new interface. Complaining and asking to move back do not help us to improve this interface! A lot of players here said they do like the new interface, so we are not going back: if you want to help us to go forward, then please make constructive feedback. Thanks.
rlees

Post by rlees »

OK, so, first, an observation. I can see the potential for the new lobby to increase efficiency in opening tables. HOWEVER, I feel like I need to click on options every time I create a table, since just starting one from the lobby does not allow me to see what options are set. Since that just takes me where it always did before, I don't end up gaining anything. I wonder if there is a way to display the current option settings within the game box.

Second, I like the IDEA of being able to sit in multiple tables at once and then play the one that is ready first--in theory. But in practice, I nearly always know which game will be ready first, because some games just take longer to find players. My idea was this: could BGA be set so that if you are in multiple tables and start a game, you do NOT get kicked out of the other tables AS LONG AS BGA estimates the length of the game you are starting as 15 minutes or less. Then when someone joins your table (while you are unavailable), they would get a popup message saying, "This player is currently in another game and is estimated to be finished in ___ minutes. Do you still want to join?" Perhaps that is too complicated, but it would provide a solution for being able to play certain games more often even though you have to wait a while for players.

I hope I explained myself clearly. Personally, I am amazed that this website remains free. Kudos to you!
Kincajou

Post by Kincajou »

I love it, thank you!
ringersoll

Post by ringersoll »

rlees wrote: 15 September 2019, 18:37 I like the IDEA of being able to sit in multiple tables at once and then play the one that is ready first--in theory. But in practice, I nearly always know which game will be ready first, because some games just take longer to find players. My idea was this: could BGA be set so that if you are in multiple tables and start a game, you do NOT get kicked out of the other tables AS LONG AS BGA estimates the length of the game you are starting as 15 minutes or less. Then when someone joins your table (while you are unavailable), they would get a popup message saying, "This player is currently in another game and is estimated to be finished in ___ minutes. Do you still want to join?" Perhaps that is too complicated, but it would provide a solution for being able to play certain games more often even though you have to wait a while for players.
I agree with this 100%, if it were possible to do!
rlees wrote: 15 September 2019, 18:37 Personally, I am amazed that this website remains free. Kudos to you!
Yes, it is free. But it does cost money to run the site. That is why I volunteered to pay for a preminum membership. If you can, you should too! :D
Kamiko-PL

Post by Kamiko-PL »

: (
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Post by sourisdudesert »

I did a little "before / after" juxtaposition. You can see it there:

https://cdn.knightlab.com/libs/juxtapos ... daf8f81e27

The images are these one:

Before:

After:

DancingHeart

Post by DancingHeart »

Hmm, this reminds me of the working world, always changing something, thinking it’s improved, but it’s really not, to justify one’s employment. Grant it, probably very few on payroll at BGA, but there’s nothing wrong with the old UI. I like seeing all the games I play, who’s joining and it’s easy access. Now I don’t see any of that!
SleeperService

Post by SleeperService »

OK, I'm a convert. I now see how to access the list of potential players for a game although it's awkward that you have to open a table first. Also found how to access the list of active games to spectate. Quite awkward to find but allows making a bookmark for easy access thereafter.
senatorhung

Post by senatorhung »

current sorting options:
popularity (i am assuming based on total number of games played on the server)
by name
by recently played

can you add a sorting option for
most games played by you (personal popularity)

also, currently when you 'expand all' you still get your list of favourites at top, followed by the list of open tables, followed by list of tables that you could create. is there any way so that the list of open tables is at top, then the list of favourites, then the list of games you could create ? i think the current setup is fine if you have only a few favourites .. but once you get over a dozen, you have to scroll much more to get to see which tables are open.

or, as i suggested previously, add another user-defined category betw favourites and known.
nandblock

Post by nandblock »

I was enjoying the new lobby but then it just seemed to change again today, for the worse: the cool thing about the new lobby was that you could create and open a table directly within the lobby. Now if I hit "Create Table" it takes me to a new page, where I have to open the table, then navigate back to the lobby manually. It's annoying and awkward. Is this a mistake or a deliberate change?

Return to “BGA release notes”