Before you post or report a bug about slipstream...

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Jellby

Re: Before you post or report a bug about slipstream...

Post by Jellby »

Provide a table and move number, and the discussion will be much shorter :)
Phoxtrot

Post by Phoxtrot »

Sockettrousers wrote: 29 December 2023, 08:43 Zingano’s an example is correct. I was awarded heat incorrectly due to a slipstream. I was in third place slipstreaming a legend to take second.
You should really post a table and a move # (both in upper left corner of the screen, might require landscape mode on mobile).

But You played only one game, so it has to be #446717928

As for the move, do you mean 25 to 27 for the very first corner ?
Your speed is 12 for a corner of max speed 10 so you paid 2 heat for that at end of turn +1 heat paid previously when playing the boost
Your speed was 6 (you played) + 3 (stress card resolved to 3) + 2 (boost resolved to 2) + 1 (adrenalin) + 0000000 (slipstream) = 12

So yeah, not a bug, slipstream did not increase speed and why did you expect to not have heat to pay ?

Note: Corner check is not done WHEN you cross the line; corner check is done IN phase 7 IF you have crossed a corner line during the turn.
Last edited by Phoxtrot on 29 December 2023, 13:32, edited 1 time in total.
Sockettrousers

Post by Sockettrousers »

:-)

Move ~28 looks like move 29 is missing for some reason.

Zingano is also reviewing the list of moves and thinks maybe I’m wrong. If so, sorry for the mistake.
Jellby

Post by Jellby »

Sockettrousers moves their car 9 spaces forward
Sockettrousers moves their car 2 spaces forward
Sockettrousers uses adrenaline's effect to increase their speed by 1

That looks like speed 9+2+1 = 12

Slipstream: Sockettrousers moves their car 2 spaces forward

So you moved 14 total spaces

Sockettrousers pays 2 heat(s) for crossing a corner at speed 12 instead of 10

... and it still counts (correctly) speed 12, not 14. Slipstream did not increase speed, but it does not protect against corner checks.
Sockettrousers

Post by Sockettrousers »

So that does look like I’m an idiot who misremembered this move :-(

I still misremember it - specifically nor being that high a move but I guess the evidence is against me and my failing memory.

Sorry and thanks for the game implementation.
Jurna_NL

Post by Jurna_NL »

Phoxtrot wrote: 02 October 2023, 20:10 The games handles slipstream correctly.
The handling of slipstream in regard to position, speed, corner checks and heat is correct.
What we have in the warnings and logging is also correct (but there is of course some subjectivity as to what should be in logging and warnings and how best to phrase it).

You have to read the rules carefully and understand the sequence of things.

Phase 6
Slipstreaming is optional if you land next to another car, or in a Space behind a car or cars. If you choose to Slipstream, you move 2 Spaces forward. You can only Slipstream once per turn and if all the Spots in the final Space are occupied, place your car in the first Space with a free Spot behind the blocking cars. Slipstreaming does NOT increase your Speed value for the purpose of the Check Corner step.
So understand what it says and what it doesn't says.
You can only slipstream once per turn
You should know the difference between a Space and a Spot.
Slipstream doesn't increase speed but it doesn't zero the speed nor offer any immunity to anything.

Phase 7
If at any point this turn you crossed a Corner Line, you must now check if your total Speed for the round exceeds the Speed Limit of that corner (Speed = Sum of the values of all the cards in your Play Area, +1 if you used the Adrenaline Bonus). If you drive through several corners on the same turn, you must pay for each of them separately, starting with the first Corner Line you crossed.
So first thing to remember is that 7 is bigger than 6: corner checks are done after any eventual slipstream.
Second is "Any point": it doesn't matter whether you crossed the line in phase 3 (reveal), 5 (reaction) or 6 (slipstream).
Third is the definition of speed: It's ALL the cards you PLAYED (including from boost, but not the DISCARDED cards) +1 if you used adrenaline (and Slipstream is not in this count). It doesn't matter whether you played your boost or adrenaline before or after crossing the corner line: it counts.

And, of course, understand that some upgrade cards and weather effects will influence how many spaces you can slipstream.
Don't agree that it works correct.

If I stop just in front of a 4 corner (after using a 4 speed card), my speed doesn't exceed the limit. If I then have the option to slipstream, the game tells me I have to pay 2 heat (as if my speed was 6 passing the 4 corner).

But as stated above, slipstreaming DOES NOT increase speed. So I should be able to pass the 4 corner with 6 movement without paying 2 heat.
thoun

Post by thoun »

Jurna_NL wrote: 30 January 2024, 11:07
Phoxtrot wrote: 02 October 2023, 20:10 The games handles slipstream correctly.
The handling of slipstream in regard to position, speed, corner checks and heat is correct.
What we have in the warnings and logging is also correct (but there is of course some subjectivity as to what should be in logging and warnings and how best to phrase it).

You have to read the rules carefully and understand the sequence of things.

Phase 6
Slipstreaming is optional if you land next to another car, or in a Space behind a car or cars. If you choose to Slipstream, you move 2 Spaces forward. You can only Slipstream once per turn and if all the Spots in the final Space are occupied, place your car in the first Space with a free Spot behind the blocking cars. Slipstreaming does NOT increase your Speed value for the purpose of the Check Corner step.
So understand what it says and what it doesn't says.
You can only slipstream once per turn
You should know the difference between a Space and a Spot.
Slipstream doesn't increase speed but it doesn't zero the speed nor offer any immunity to anything.

Phase 7
If at any point this turn you crossed a Corner Line, you must now check if your total Speed for the round exceeds the Speed Limit of that corner (Speed = Sum of the values of all the cards in your Play Area, +1 if you used the Adrenaline Bonus). If you drive through several corners on the same turn, you must pay for each of them separately, starting with the first Corner Line you crossed.
So first thing to remember is that 7 is bigger than 6: corner checks are done after any eventual slipstream.
Second is "Any point": it doesn't matter whether you crossed the line in phase 3 (reveal), 5 (reaction) or 6 (slipstream).
Third is the definition of speed: It's ALL the cards you PLAYED (including from boost, but not the DISCARDED cards) +1 if you used adrenaline (and Slipstream is not in this count). It doesn't matter whether you played your boost or adrenaline before or after crossing the corner line: it counts.

And, of course, understand that some upgrade cards and weather effects will influence how many spaces you can slipstream.
Don't agree that it works correct.

If I stop just in front of a 4 corner (after using a 4 speed card), my speed doesn't exceed the limit. If I then have the option to slipstream, the game tells me I have to pay 2 heat (as if my speed was 6 passing the 4 corner).

But as stated above, slipstreaming DOES NOT increase speed. So I should be able to pass the 4 corner with 6 movement without paying 2 heat.
Please give an example with table & move number, because the game should not behave the way you say it does.
Phoxtrot

Post by Phoxtrot »

Jurna_NL wrote: 30 January 2024, 11:07

You should provide a table and a move #. (if you play on a phone, rotate to landscape mode to see them at the top left)

But given the timing, I guess you are talking about 465336935 at move 397.
According to the log, you were in gear 2, moved 6 cases and then used slipstream, crossed the corner and paid 2 Heat.
So you just misremembered the cards you played.
( And you should check the log and/or do a "replay from"' when you aren't sure about what happened. )
arrie1987

Post by arrie1987 »

Phoxtrot wrote: 04 November 2023, 13:06 As a side note: if they had really wanted for slipstream to give you immunity to corner checks, they would simply have put the corner check phase before the slipstream phase and no explanation at all would have been required.

But yeah, I'm a bit baffled by what some people think that "does not increase speed" means.
You can't do the corner check before slipstreaming. The whole point is that slipstreaming can get you through a corner. So at the very end of all movement (including slipstream) you need to check, am i through a corner or not.
Most people find it hard to remember, that the slipstreaming does not count towards your total speed.

For te other part, the message, for me it is clear.
It gives you a warning how much your total heat will be when you slipstream through a corner,or when you want to boost,it gives you the maximum possible heat with a 4.
Phoxtrot

Post by Phoxtrot »

arrie1987 wrote: 02 February 2024, 11:46
Phoxtrot wrote: 04 November 2023, 13:06 As a side note: if they had really wanted for slipstream to give you immunity to corner checks, they would simply have put the corner check phase before the slipstream phase and no explanation at all would have been required.

But yeah, I'm a bit baffled by what some people think that "does not increase speed" means.
You can't do the corner check before slipstreaming. The whole point is that slipstreaming can get you through a corner. So at the very end of all movement (including slipstream) you need to check, am i through a corner or not.
Most people find it hard to remember, that the slipstreaming does not count towards your total speed.

For te other part, the message, for me it is clear.
It gives you a warning how much your total heat will be when you slipstream through a corner,or when you want to boost,it gives you the maximum possible heat with a 4.
Uh, yeah, that's why I used the hypothetical "if they had..."

Return to “Heat: Pedal to the Metal”