#14 - Solo Challenge [October 2023] ENDED

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
montybojangles

#14 - Solo Challenge [October 2023] ENDED

Post by montybojangles »

Love them or dislike them, this month's challenge is to play the Ivits versus the automa of the month, the Geodens (select the 'Automa of the month' button), on the Fixed map. Check that the seed in the automa score panel is 16961616. It is important that you read the Rules section for more details, especially if the seed is not 16961616. Checking you have the correct seed is very important later in the month, as clock changes can affect the game set-up for some players.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert, this challenge is for you. The goal is simple: have fun and get a high score in solo mode. Thanks to the BGA set-up, you can easily compare your score, watch replays of games and learn different ways of playing a faction. (There's more guidance on how to view replays at/near the end of the May challenge.) Play serenely at your leisure: there is no timer pressure!

Congratulations to a new winner of the solo challenge, Markus_12, who played against the Alptrauma. As ever, thanks to everyone who participated.

There's elite rank for the top 5 players and cadet rank for everyone else.

Image Image Image

1st step: Create a new table. Select Training or Friendly mode and Fixed map. Choose 1 player/Solo and click on Start game. Select the red box Automa of the month (Geodens).
2nd step: Select the difficulty you think you can handle.
3rd step: Select the faction Ivits. Check that the seed is 16961616 (in the player score panel). If it isn't, start again using the alternative starting method (below).
4th step: Play the game. Post your score(s), mentioning the chosen difficulty (see the format below).

Alternative starting method: Start the game with Fixed map selected >> Choose the Geodens faction card (as you would for a normal game) >> Set the custom seed (16961616 for this challenge), which is next to the heading 'Choose Automa Difficulty Level', and Select the Automa difficulty >> Choose Ivits.

Players usually insert the link of their game (you can find it on your profile – tab (x) games played) and mention which openings, tech tracks and other actions have been crucial for them (e.g. RL+2M. Economy, aiming for advanced tech tile on AI).

Ideally, use this format: YourNickname Score vs AutomaLevel Score – LinkOfTheGame – Techs focus – YourComment (e.g. : Marcus Aurelius 222 vs Ultoma 165 – www.boardgamearena.com/game=12345 – focus on Science and Terraforming until mid-game, with aim of taking advanced tile on Terraforming).

And don't forget to have fun!
Last edited by montybojangles on 01 November 2023, 12:13, edited 9 times in total.
montybojangles

Re: #14 - Solo Challenge [October 2023] ACTIVE

Post by montybojangles »

Here's a target.
montybojangles 228 vs Automa 139 - https://boardgamearena.com/table?table=423531233 - Econ, terraforming and AI.
Zedseayou

Post by Zedseayou »

Zedseayou 167 vs Ultoma 181 – https://boardgamearena.com/10/gaiaproje ... =423816379 – Sci, Econ, Terra, AI – Quick first try, haven't done these in a while. I still don't really understand the Automa rules so am unprepared for e.g. a planet to be taken when they don't have range. Sci first since the 4pw big building tile was there. Several mistakes including taking sci per planet tile at wrong time and overcapping, missing uses of QIC actions for points, misbalance of resources mid game, possibly charging too much.
danuer13

Post by danuer13 »

danuer13 207 vs Automa 131
https://boardgamearena.com/10/gaiaproje ... =423866718
first try, went eco + terraforming, got advanced AI from both of these tracks.
jgpaladin

Post by jgpaladin »

jgpaladin 184 - Automa 133
https://boardgamearena.com/7/gaiaprojec ... =423856544
First try, not bad.
My basic description sounds a lot like danuer13's, just without the results...
Started on econ, eventually went terraforming and maxed nav. AI on the last turn.
I also grabbed the two Adv tech for federations. Did get 4 feds but it felt inefficient.
montybojangles

Post by montybojangles »

danuer13 wrote: 02 October 2023, 11:07 danuer13 207 vs Automa 131
Hi, it looks like a good game, but I'm sorry, you've done it on the random map, not the fixed one. The random map does look to be more of a challenge!
Zedseayou wrote: 02 October 2023, 06:59 I still don't really understand the Automa rules so am unprepared for e.g. a planet to be taken when they don't have range.
Hi. Thanks for sharing your game, though I'm getting an error message when I try to replay it.
You can use the last played automa card, which becomes the next support card, to get a clue to possible outcomes of the next automa action, e.g. range if it builds a mine, or power/qic action it might cover. The automa faction summary card only gets shown at the time you select a faction, but that shows the unique faction action. (For Geodens, that's 'Advance on random track, cover a power/QIC action'.) If you want to learn more, some of the solo playthroughs videos of the physical boardgame you can find online demonstrate the use of the automa deck well (you don't need to watch a whole game to benefit).
danuer13

Post by danuer13 »

montybojangles wrote: 02 October 2023, 11:43
Hi, it looks like a good game, but I'm sorry, you've done it on the random map, not the fixed one. The random map does look to be more of a challenge!
Oops, thanks for noticing
Done it with the fixed map, improved the result

danuer13 252 vs Automa 133
https://boardgamearena.com/5/gaiaprojec ... =423884627

Basically played the same but improved timing with the fed tokens and got more VP from QIC actions
jgpaladin

Post by jgpaladin »

montybojangles wrote: 02 October 2023, 11:43 You can use the last played automa card, which becomes the next support card, to get a clue to possible outcomes of the next automa action, e.g. range if it builds a mine, or power/qic action it might cover. The automa faction summary card only gets shown at the time you select a faction, but that shows the unique faction action. (For Geodens, that's 'Advance on random track, cover a power/QIC action'.) If you want to learn more, some of the solo playthroughs videos of the physical boardgame you can find online demonstrate the use of the automa deck well (you don't need to watch a whole game to benefit).
How much do people actually pay attention to this when playing against the automa? I've never once even glanced at it...
danuer13

Post by danuer13 »

jgpaladin wrote: 02 October 2023, 18:57
montybojangles wrote: 02 October 2023, 11:43 You can use the last played automa card, which becomes the next support card, to get a clue to possible outcomes of the next automa action, e.g. range if it builds a mine, or power/qic action it might cover. The automa faction summary card only gets shown at the time you select a faction, but that shows the unique faction action. (For Geodens, that's 'Advance on random track, cover a power/QIC action'.) If you want to learn more, some of the solo playthroughs videos of the physical boardgame you can find online demonstrate the use of the automa deck well (you don't need to watch a whole game to benefit).
How much do people actually pay attention to this when playing against the automa? I've never once even glanced at it...
I'm the same, even though I've actually played with automa with a physical copy of the game a couple of times.
Jonash87cz

Post by Jonash87cz »

Jonash87 191 Automa 136

Just 3 feds (4 tokens) and 1 advanced tech. I started with Eco, then Terra, then AI. 33 points came from QIC actions.

I hate Ivits, I always ban them and don't play with them (this was my 3rd try all the time). :D I'm only an average player (I've only scored over 200 points twice), but they are easy to score points with. The best faction for novices.

https://boardgamearena.com/table?table=424541405

Return to “Gaia Project”