How many matches in a tournament?

Tournaments organization / Organisation des tournois
geeked_up_boardgames

How many matches in a tournament?

Post by geeked_up_boardgames »

I joined the Castles Of Burgundy Tournament and it's set me up 11 separate matches. Is that how it's supposed to be?

I thought it was one match a round and if I lost I was knocked out LOL.
mrdoctor

Re: How many matches in a tournament?

Post by mrdoctor »

You signed-up to a round-robin tournament. On BGA, that means all games in a group are played simultaneously, and each person plays each other player once.

(There is apparently a way to stagger round-robin games, but it is complex to set-up and doesn't always seem to work - only 1 user seems to have worked it out - see other posts in the forums about round-robins)
geeked_up_boardgames

Post by geeked_up_boardgames »

Ah that makes sense; thanks.😊

11 matches and I won 7 so happy with the result; not eager to enter another gauntlet though😂
Meeplelowda

Post by Meeplelowda »

geeked_up_boardgames wrote: 25 February 2024, 15:46not eager to enter another gauntlet though😂
When entering tournaments, be sure to look closely at key settings such as if it's round-robin, how much time each player has, and whether it has a 12-hour playing hours window or your clock could run 24/7. A lot of people posting in this sub-forum find out about these things the hard way.
mrdoctor

Post by mrdoctor »

Meeplelowda wrote: 25 February 2024, 23:25
geeked_up_boardgames wrote: 25 February 2024, 15:46not eager to enter another gauntlet though😂
When entering tournaments, be sure to look closely at key settings such as if it's round-robin, how much time each player has, and whether it has a 12-hour playing hours window or your clock could run 24/7. A lot of people posting in this sub-forum find out about these things the hard way.
Most of the threads posted here can effectively be answered with "why didn't you read the listed tournament settings before signing up (and if you didn't understand them why didn't you query them)?"
Meeplelowda

Post by Meeplelowda »

mrdoctor wrote: 26 February 2024, 01:57Most of the threads posted here can effectively be answered with "why didn't you read the listed tournament settings before signing up (and if you didn't understand them why didn't you query them)?"
The first instinct of the old me definitely would be to react that way. The kinder, gentler me realizes not everyone lives in the forums like I do, and the FAQ is pretty atrocious as discussed in another thread, so usually you can't fault someone for not reading the FAQ because it wouldn't answer their question anyway. I mean the real FAQ, not the one in the forum, which isn't truly a FAQ if you have to go to the forum to find it because I'm guessing a very large percentage of BGA users never "set foot" in here.
randusnuder

Post by randusnuder »

Can someone SHOW me where the cancel option is once you are in a tournament? I am stuck in Memoir '44 groundhogs day and can't click on anything that doesn't just take me to the game table. I don't know what I am looking for and can't seem to find where it is supposed to be located.
nik592

Post by nik592 »

Recent activity on your profile shows where you registered for the tournament (I assume it's the one from 49 days ago). You can click that link to go to the tournament page and withdraw from there.

That said, the tournament is 90% done, so you're probably on your last game anyway. Be aware that you will get a karma penalty for withdrawing (possibly also another for leaving the game you're in the middle of).
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

randusnuder wrote: 25 March 2024, 19:18 Can someone SHOW me where the cancel option is once you are in a tournament?
It's on the tournament page, a red button some distance below the tournament start time. At least that's how it appears for me:
Perhaps you're wondering how to get to the tournament page from the table or game page. Find the place in the upper left corner of the table webpage where it says the table #, move #, and progression in percent. To the left is the BGA logo, a type of cloud. Click on that cloud, to get to the table information page. Now look in the top section for the words "This game counts for tournament: ", followed by the tournament name. Click there on the tournament name, to get to the tournament page.
randusnuder

Post by randusnuder »

Thank you! That was what I needed to find.

Return to “Tournaments / Les tournois”