Love/Hate strategy question

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
DanM72

Love/Hate strategy question

Post by DanM72 »

Ok I have been playing FS for awhile now 70 games with 19 victories (31%) current ELO 123 highest was 178. I have definitely developed a love/hate relationship with FS.

I try to adopt a tree/wolf as my primary, and amphibian, bird as secondary and tertiary strategies if I can get a tree fern, or a few Gosshawks. I understand that this is a drafting game and there is a certain amount of luck involved. What am I missing, I think my efficiency of play could be improved. Is there a strategy I am overlooking (big forest, bats, etc.,) or is there a strategy to make my moves more efficient?

TIA,

Dan
EDIT: I will say the one thing I finally started to pay attention to was paying with matching cards to activate bonuses, it usually brings more cards which in turn statistically gives me more opportunity to draw the value cards.

EDIT: OK utilizing the card bonuses has increases by win % drastically. More cards I see the better statistical chance I have to draw the better cards. Thanks !
Last edited by DanM72 on 15 April 2024, 12:44, edited 1 time in total.
Stockomator

Re: Love/Hate strategy question

Post by Stockomator »

A short reply due to time constraints:
There is a certain amount of luck for sure, but a lot comes down to efficiency and hand management. How to make the most out of the cards you get, what to keep and what to dump, how to cycle fast for the right cards etc.
That's why not playing cards with the color bonus is actually a huge deal, you will loose a lot of value per action if you don't.
In the base game, picking up all deer/wolf available is basically mandatory. Same goes for fern.
Trees are usually really not a great strategy, best case you play just as many as you need to get the rest of your cards out.

Return to “Forest Shuffle”