Why do "4 moves per day" turn-based games not have a sleep period?

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
RedAlert39

Why do "4 moves per day" turn-based games not have a sleep period?

Post by RedAlert39 »

"4 moves per day" give +6hrs per move, human beings need 6-9 hours of sleep per day. If someone who needs 8 hours of sleep per day plays one of these games during every waking hour, it's still possible for them to be booted for inactivity, if the person before them always takes a turn around the same time they go to sleep.

As someone from North America, I've run into this issue more than once getting put into games against people in Europe/Asia. Given this site tends to lean pretty EU heavy, this game speed doesn't seem fair to people in other regions.
Elosan

Re: Why do "4 moves per day" turn-based games not have a sleep period?

Post by Elosan »

i see games with sleep times here and there but dont see how to add it myself.

you do get the 24h bank with that thou, which would give you some buffer for going over 6 hours between turns and be restored alittle anytime your under 6h for your turn during the day

def could be a problem for a game with simultaneous turns but with multiple players the turn isnt going to hit you very early in your sleep unless your the next turn (and na players are up later naturally so you should expect euros to be doing there turn late in your sleep not early)
Suoivax

Post by Suoivax »

4 turns a day doesn't mean you have to make a move every 6 hours.
nik592

Post by nik592 »

I try to play 4 turns/day speed whenever possible, as I am on BGA multiple times per day during my waking hours. I'm in Australia, so I guarantee my timezone is at odds with most users (both EU and US based). I almost never run out of time, and I think the only times I ever have was because I had an unusually busy day and maybe only got on once or not at all in a 24 hour period.

As noted, 4 turns/day can vary in speed depending on player count (for non-simultaneous play) - at 2p, you may only need to make 2 turns per day, at 4p, possibly only 1 (it obviously depends on how frequently your opponents play). Plus you have a 4x buffer to start as well (and banks any extra time you may not use in taking turns up to that 24h limit). For simultaneous play, you might have to be making 4 turns per day, but you can always choose a slower speed for those games if you're concerned. I play some simultaneous play games and still don't have regular issues.
Elosan wrote: 24 April 2024, 01:47 i see games with sleep times here and there but dont see how to add it myself.
You need to be playing at a "fast" turn based speed, that is 8 turns/day or faster.
RicardoRix

Post by RicardoRix »

4 moves per day is my most preferred time frame. I've never encountered this problem.
It includes everyone from around the world, and the game moves at a relatively fast enough pace.
For a 4-player game it equates to 1 move per day per player if you each take 6 hours to play your move. And you also have that additional starting 24 hour buffer.

If you want to have awake/sleep time-zones then move up to 8 moves per day, I doubt it makes much difference plus you get that 12 sleep window that you want. Otherwise go the other way and go for 2 moves/day.

I don't see it as a problem with the feature, just how you're using the feature, and/or your understanding.
Livini

Post by Livini »

RedAlert39 wrote: 24 April 2024, 00:31 "4 moves per day" give +6hrs per move, human beings need 6-9 hours of sleep per day. If someone who needs 8 hours of sleep per day plays one of these games during every waking hour, it's still possible for them to be booted for inactivity, if the person before them always takes a turn around the same time they go to sleep.

As someone from North America, I've run into this issue more than once getting put into games against people in Europe/Asia. Given this site tends to lean pretty EU heavy, this game speed doesn't seem fair to people in other regions.
This is definitely a problem, also for European players. I played a '4 moves per day' game once with people from different time zones. I remember being constantly low on time and forced to make my move first thing in the morning when I would have preferred to play in the afternoon. I also remember constantly going online in the daytime, waiting for my turn, but it was never my turn because the person before me didn't play until I went to sleep.

Also, in many cases the time frame around it will be even longer than the 6-9 hours of sleep that the individual needs, because lots of people don't like to play right before they go to sleep and/or right after they wake up.
Cile

Post by Cile »

Livini wrote: 26 April 2024, 13:45 I remember being constantly low on time and forced to make my move first thing in the morning when I would have preferred to play in the afternoon.
Might I suggest in that case that 4 turns/day is not for you? OP is talking about an 8 hour break for sleep, and your talking about a 12+ hour break for sleep and not having to play in the morning.
Livini

Post by Livini »

Cile wrote: 26 April 2024, 16:34
Livini wrote: 26 April 2024, 13:45 I remember being constantly low on time and forced to make my move first thing in the morning when I would have preferred to play in the afternoon.
Might I suggest in that case that 4 turns/day is not for you? OP is talking about an 8 hour break for sleep, and your talking about a 12+ hour break for sleep and not having to play in the morning.
I wasn't talking about a 12+ hour break: all I meant was hours of sleep + time to wind down before bed and/or have breakfast in the morning. You're right that it's not my thing, and just not playing 4 turns a day is an easy solution for me. I was just confirming that OP was not alone in the problems they mentioned, and also that it was not just an 'outside of Europe' thing.

Also I don't think I explained myself well. I was not opposed to making any moves in the morning, so I shouldn't have written it as 'would have preferred to play in the afternoon'. The main issue was that it made me feel pressured to see my time bar so low, even though I was online a lot. Sorry for being unclear.

And sorry as well for starting my post with 'This is definitely a problem'. I fully understand that it's not a problem for everyone, and I didn't mean to come across so negatively. All I was trying to say was 'Hey, I've experienced the same problem, OP is not alone in this and I agree with adding a sleep period'.

Return to “Discussions”