My observations of Tichu on BGA

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
HotBurner1

My observations of Tichu on BGA

Post by HotBurner1 »

I am tired of being paired with the worst player of the other players at the table.

In the games that are random I am being paired with the worst player 8-9 times out of 10, and yet to get the worst player in a given game should be roughly a 33% chance.

And that is before even mentioning the card distribution, which could definitely be improved and really should be improved. Yes, i know the source code is open, but open or hidden is not the point. The source code can be improved to provide a better experience.
Bombs for my opponents are noticeably more frequent than for me or my partner, and especially in critical rounds.

Arena mode is nothing really different to normal tichu games whereby the level is not really any higher on average due to many of the strongest players avoiding it, and a number of players that are currently at an average level, or below, of understanding and ability at the game entering into playing in arena mode and seeing it as a bit of casual fun.

There are very few tables/games of 4 actually good or strong players taking place on a daily basis, and so many strong players only play in set partnerships that the Tichu scene here on BGA is a deprived one.

Despite the ELO marking players as good, some of them are really not, and in some cases there are average players, based on ELO, that are actually good players, therefore the ELO system does not do a good job of indicating a players skill level. It is more an indication of a players willingness to play short and random teamed games with players of any level and the capricious nature of luck over skill.
I wonder out of 100 or 1000 games how many are reasonably balanced in terms of card distribution and how many are very one-sided.

Certainly my experience of getting a good partner in random games is decidedly unbalanced to a point whereby I can accurately predict who my partner will be most of the time.

The balance of luck, in its various elements, seems to outweigh a players knowledge and skill at the game more than it actually should on a more frequent basis due in large part to the randomizer/card distribution.

Quite a few players that are not so good at Tichu seem unwilling to want to learn, or concentrate fully, in order to improve their understanding of the game and decision-making. They respond with a mixture of over-exaggerated horror and denial when somebody points out a flaw in their play or asks them their thinking behind how they played, and then continue to play with the same sub-standard thinking and play. As if they just bury their head in the sand.
How many of them bother to ask questions to learn or watch replays of games to improve.

And yet it is a partnership game, a game where you have a responsibility to your fellow player who is your partner, whom you win or lose together with. Your ability and decision-making effects your partner and their chances of winning.

Do you care about your partners experience, who might be making every effort to win, or is it just another frivolous, carefree, lark to you - where you are content to continue making obvious mistakes game after game? If it is the latter, it is possible you are not a considerate enough player for a partnership game such as Tichu, and are selfishly playing just for your own amusement.
Joaquin Moreno

Re: My observations of Tichu on BGA

Post by Joaquin Moreno »

nicely summed up. This is however the fourth of fifth post on the subject of players not owning their mistakes and/or simply not wanting to hear they have made the wrong play. But there is exactly 0 posts from them, perhaps defending their right to be tolerated for their continuous and repeated making of silly mistakes, or perhaps why is it wrong of us to tell them in the chat, that their decision was fundamentally bad, especially when we also explain why.
Nothing defines a poor player more, than when you make a colossal blunder, and then go on defending it with absurd arguments, that make even less sense than your dubious play.

I would like nothing better, than to have at least one, if not all of you, self-righteous players, to step forward and defend your stance half as vigorously, as you defend your fallacious plays. You know who you are. (Hello, *)

*Moderation Edit: please do not use the Forums to call out specific tables or players. The Forums should remain a general discussion.
HotBurner1

Re: My observations of Tichu on BGA

Post by HotBurner1 »

Well, my post does not call anybody out specifically, and it was meant to highlight a number of points that I have personally experienced.

Such as the overly high frequency that I am "randomly" partnered with the poorest player at the table. i have watched bits of games or looked at results of games, particularly in arena mode and noticed good players being partnered together quite frequently, and/or other players get a fairly balanced variety of partners of different levels.

Also, another point was to highlight the low level entry to arena mode that just undermines any value, and difference to non arena mode, it might or could have.

My post was not really for you to hijack so that you can take another swipe at an individual player.

Return to “Tichu”