BGA is cheating with card distribution in Faraway

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
AlexSorbin

BGA is cheating with card distribution in Faraway

Post by AlexSorbin »

Look at this Faraway game example
https://boardgamearena.com/13/faraway?table=505649380,

Faraway has 45 sanctuary cards.
I accumulated 6 clues by round 5, and in the last 3 rounds I got 23 sanctuary cards, half of all the cards in the game,
and none of them had the symbol of horns (okiko chimera),

This is a system cheating of the BoardGameArena platform,
Considering what my opponent said - "f-a-j: "I had that problem with the horns the game just before".
that is, the platform selected all the horns from the output,
took away from me
and “returned” to the other player all the chimera symbols that he did not receive in the previous game?

Just insane fun.
LeandreGAJA

Re: BGA is cheating with card distribution in Faraway

Post by LeandreGAJA »

There happens to be in total 7 sanctuaries with the Chimera symbol out of 45 in my physical copy of the game.

After watching your replay, here are for your last 3 rounds the chances of you getting a Chimera sanctuary:
Round 6: 7 sanctuaries drawn from 39 remaining including 5 with chimeras = 35% chance of no chimera
Round 7: 8 sanctuaries drawn from 37 remaining including 4 with chimeras = 36% chance of no chimera
Round 8: 8 sanctuaries drawn from 35 remaining including 3 with chimeras = 44.7% chance of no chimera
All in all, you had a 5.6% chance of not drawing any chimera sanctuary, which is indeed low but not absurdly so. In comparison, your opponent had a 1.8% chance to have this many chimeras in the same rounds, which doesn't sound like an impossible feat.
(The probabilities were calculated using Replacement Calc by RGB Studios, assuming RNG on BGA isn't pseudo-random and Faraway is coded with unplayed sanctuaries staying in the same array rather than split between "not drawn yet" and "already drawn".)

Don't forget that randomness tends not to look like what we'd expect it to look like, especially when one plays several hundreds games. Also, given how BGA works business-wise, why would they frustrate their players in this manner?
Jellby

Post by Jellby »

LeandreGAJA wrote: 03 May 2024, 20:51 Also, given how BGA works business-wise, why would they frustrate their players in this manner?
To attract conspiracy theorists :D
AlexSorbin

Post by AlexSorbin »

Thank you LeandreGAJA for your detailed analysis of the situation and your participation in the issue.
BGA cheating, from my subjective point of view, is that they coded the game like that.
They ignore the rules of the game:
Then, if you have leftover Sanctuary
cards in hand, put them all under the
Sanctuary deck, face down.

Return to “Faraway”