Developing a game on Board Game Arena

Board Game Arena Official announcements
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Re: Developing a game on Board Game Arena

Post by sourisdudesert »

Hello,

The source code of some games will be opened as examples. We don't plan to open the code of all games: some publishers wouldn't appreciate that any website can propose an online adaptation of one of their game based on BGA sourcecode ;)
teasel

Post by teasel »

can we have already a list of implentable games? it would be really cool to see some of the nicer games of yucata here on BGA and i swear i'm totaly not hinting at roll trough the ages

*nudges nudges* ;)
Oso

Post by Oso »

teasel wrote:can we have already a list of implentable games? it would be really cool to see some of the nicer games of yucata here on BGA and i swear i'm totaly not hinting at roll trough the ages

*nudges nudges* ;)
In Yukata are licensed games. Could we make games that are licensed without asking?

I think the idea of having the BGA Studio is creating new games or make games last resort unlicensed (eg Poker)
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Post by sourisdudesert »

Hello,

In BGA all games are licensed too. We already have a list of games licensed/authorized by publishers to be realized on BGA but this list is now bigger than what we (=BGA team) can manage. The whole idea of Studio is that you can help us to bring them online.

Note: of course we're going to continue developing game by our own, and at the same time we'll check the quality of games produced in the Studio in order they reach BGA quality standards.

Cheers,
mathgrant

Post by mathgrant »

Wentu wrote:Wow, I'd like SOOO much to be able to develop at least one of my games that are still looking for a publisher, that is Carnac: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/103061/carnac

Would it be possible to do that? :o
I can program in C# and ASP.NET and SQL is no problem but I'd really like to give it a try with PHP and JS. Please let us know when it all begins and what to do!
Thankx!

Wentu
In the past, I would have thought a two-player perfect information abstract to be a better fit for igGameCenter than for BGA, but the addition of Gygès to this site makes me think that maybe it could work.

I dabble in designing board games occasionally, so it would be nice to have an online platform for playing my "masterpiece" (by which I mean a game with a 5.0 rating, although Barry Figgins, who is working on the deluxe wooden version, describes it with some encouraging adjectives). It's got tetrominoes in it, and it's got simple rules, so what's not to like? Well, besides the fact that the game is rated 2.42 points below Carnac. :)

If I had more self-confidence and if there were a greater library of two-player perfect information abstracts on BGA, I might add my game to the Proposed BoardGameArena.com games GeekList. Perhaps if anyone else thinks it should be present, they could add it for me, linking to this post.
Moe45673

Post by Moe45673 »

I know all those languages. Throw in ASP, C#, JQuery, Ajax, C, C++, Java, I'll do it too :D Heck, I'll even relearn unix scripting!

To all those worried about PHP: if you've ever taken an intro course to C, PHP is about on that level (for the most part. Of course it can get complex). You can quickly learn it on your own:
http://www.w3schools.com/php/php_intro.asp

To those who wonder if HTML and CSS is enough: CSS only makes HTML look pretty. HTML is a static page that doesn't move. The only way to interact with it is submitting a form or clicking a link.... in each case, the page will reload. Not only this, but the page will reload exactly the same way each time. If Amazon.com worked based off pure html, every type of page permutation (including orders pages) would have to be pre-written. And everyday, all those pages would manually need the dates changed :shock:

Javascript allows client-side dynamic pages, such as when you enter a password while registering on a new site and it tells you if it's valid, weak, strong, etc. It also allows you to control what happens when a user presses an html <button>. PHP allows for server side (and more complex) dynamic pages, including database integration and much more flexibility with forms.

I think writing one of these modules would be a great thing for my job portfolio. Consider me interested.

BGA Admins: Any chance you can release a list of approved but not yet developed games?
Marty78

Post by Marty78 »

Moe45673 wrote:BGA Admins: Any chance you can release a list of approved but not yet developed games?
QFE
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Post by sourisdudesert »

Hello,

The list of available games will of course be sent in a manner or another to the developers We don't know exactly how, yet.

Cheers,
teasel

Post by teasel »

is this going to happen soon? i tought we would get more news after essen and nothing happened... so now i'm guessing maybe something at the end of the month since that's when you guys usualy release a new game?
macco

Post by macco »

That's terrific news for play-testing I believe. I'd like to get involved (I'm a programmer myself), but I hate PHP hehe. I think I'd better force myself to like it in the end :D

Btw, do you also use some framework such as MVC or anything?

Return to “Official announcements [en]”