ELO rank now visible from everyone!

Board Game Arena Official announcements
Dravaal

Re: ELO rank now visible from everyone!

Post by Dravaal »

Whilst I don't necessarily agree with the ratings floor and would much rather an early provisional rating as mentioned by others previously, I do appreciate your efforts at improving the experience for players. I understand many become disheartened by losing Elo early, so it is good to see you're proactive in encouraging newer players which will mean a higher patronage of games, which can only be good for everyone.

Thank you.
demiurgsage

Post by demiurgsage »

If players have different K-factors does they get different number of points from the same mathc?
In the last game I received 6 point while my opponent lose 13 points.
https://en.boardgamearena.com/#!table?table=26506321
fuonlynu

Post by fuonlynu »

Ax =B2 (2x3) =% :_^$ 1234567890?{{ ( EGUALS BGA ELO RATING) OR KIPP FORMULA ( KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID.) wins /losses games played =percentage.No wonder why bga every change of season they are modifying there formula which still don't show whom is good.bga formula a snapshot in time when a player is winning.cmon again is this a game site or a math quiz site.
Pedros

Post by Pedros »

At the same time that the new ELO system was introduced - and I have no problems there except that (as I've previously reported in Bugs the new system is not always zero-sum even when all players are well over the 100 mark - there seems to have been a change in the award of prestige points alongside it, which I've been unable to make sense of despite trying hard.

Previously at the end of a game a player who went up a grade (Average > good, good > strong etc) received points and his/her new rosette was displayed. But now the award of points appears indiscriminate. For instance, in the Can't Stop game 26878892 I've just won, I started on ELO 236 and my opponent on 250. I gained 10 ELO points (to 246) whereas he lost 10 to 240. But he gained 50 prestige points and I gained 0. I'm not even sure that this is the same in all games - I'm sure I've seen games where both players in this sort of position gained points.

I'm not personally that interested in the prestige points. But it does irritate when an apparently ridiculous system is flashed before my eyes repeatedly! And I see that the inconsistent ELO output has been raised in this thread already. An answer to this fairly important issue would be really helpful!
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Post by sourisdudesert »

Pedros wrote: when an apparently ridiculous system is flashed before my eyes repeatedly
This is not a bug.

Your opponent didn't play Can't Stop since the new system. It was his first game. Despite his defeat, he manages to have a "Good" ELO and wins the "Good" trophy, which you already won.
JollyBird

Post by JollyBird »

sourisdudesert wrote:This is not a bug.
Your opponent didn't play Can't Stop since the new system. It was his first game. Despite his defeat, he manages to have a "Good" ELO and wins the "Good" trophy, which you already won.
At first it also seemed a bit weird when I saw something like this happening in several games.
But do I understand correctly that it happens because of the new "good" level (>200 ELO) which wasn't awarded in the old system (>1500 ELO)?

Another question:
It seems to me that the 2 following "new rules" are not always correctly implemented:
sourisdudesert wrote: From 1 to 100 ("Apprentice" level), you can only win ELO points
(your ELO cannot decrease).
sourisdudesert wrote: If you have more than 4 games played: new ELO = old ELO - 1300,
with a minimum of 100.
For example in my own profile:
Legendarische uitvinders ; ELO 14 ; 15 Spellen • 3 overwinningen • 27% succes.
Dark Agent ; ELO 0 ; 10 Spellen • 3 overwinningen • 55% succes.

I saw it several times with different games in other peoples profiles too.
sprockitz

Post by sprockitz »

JollyBird wrote:
sourisdudesert wrote: If you have more than 4 games played: new ELO = old ELO - 1300,
with a minimum of 100.
For example in my own profile:
Legendarische uitvinders ; ELO 14 ; 15 Spellen • 3 overwinningen • 27% succes.
Dark Agent ; ELO 0 ; 10 Spellen • 3 overwinningen • 55% succes.

I saw it several times with different games in other peoples profiles too.
Yeah I don't think the 100 minimum was respected. I have a 46 in Sabeuter with 11 games played...my old rating was 1346. Not that I'm really concerned about it, since you can't lose points below 100 if you play a game you'll get back to 100 without much issue.
Pseudomonas

Post by Pseudomonas »

As for club members, I'd like to suggest improved statistics both personal and overall.
Eg.: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/102892 ... statistics

Return to “Official announcements [en]”