♥ Happy Valentine's Day : Love Letter Premium edition ♥

Board Game Arena Official announcements
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

♥ Happy Valentine's Day : Love Letter Premium edition ♥

Post by sourisdudesert »

We are happy to introduce for Valentine's Day : Love Letter Premium Edition on Board Game Arena :)

The nicest thing about this is that this news concerns every players: those who are in couple and those who are not. This is why we decided to celebrate Valentine's day this year :)

Love Letter Premium is an enhanced version of Love Letter, the wonderful card game from Seiji Kanai that you have been able to enjoy on BGA for a while.

First, you should know that Love Letter Premium box features a really beautiful game material: the cards are supersized and much thicker than normal, the hearts that players can claim are large and wooden, and the hard-sided box has a magnetic closure.

But what is really cool is that this game includes 16 additional cards and 9 new characters, allowing you to play up to 8 players.

On Board Game Arena, it changes nothing for the 3-4 players configuration. However, you can now host 5 to 8 players at your Love Letter table, and the extra 16 cards are added when playing with 5 players and more.

Love Letter is part of BGA Premium catalog, so if you like Love Letter the best gift for your Valentine (or for you) is definitely either a BGA membership or a copy of this very nice edition :)

The new characters are the following :
_ The Assassin (0), who kills your opponent if he uses a guard against you.
_ The Jester (0), who allows you to guess who will win the round and score 1 point if this is the case.
_ 3 additional guards (1).
_ The Cardinal (2), who exchanges the hands of 2 players.
_ The Baroness (3), who allows you to see TWO hands.
_ The Sycophant (4), who lets you decide who will be the target of the next card played.
_ The Count (5), who add +1 to your card value at the end of the round.
_ The Constable (6), who gives you 1 point if you are knocked out of the round.
_ The Dowager Queen (7), who acts as a Baron, but the highest card is eliminated instead of the lowest.
_ The Bishop (9), a "super-guard" who makes you score 1 point when you guess the character of an opponent.

We wish you a lot of Love :)
meowman

Re: ♥ Happy Valentine's Day : Love Letter Premium edition ♥

Post by meowman »

Awesome! Just gave it a go, and it seems like a great addition!

The game I was playing on had some errors though... Table 27720910
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Post by sourisdudesert »

Thanks !

Some bug has been fixed already. If you still have issues, please report them on https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Shaq Jenkins

Post by Shaq Jenkins »

I think the new cards are an excellent addition - thanks for the update.

After playing a few games, I'm wondering if the Constable is too powerful. The Constable pretty much guarantees that you'll gain a point after the round ends as long as you play it safe.

Also, if you play a Guard on someone who has the Assassin and you guess correctly that s/he is the Assassin, who wins the tiebreaker? I'm assuming that the person who played the Guard is the one who's out of the round, but I wanted to clarify this in case I'm in this situation again. I had a Guard and knew who the Assassin was, but I decided not to target that person because I wasn't sure if I would get eliminated.
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Post by sourisdudesert »

Shaq Jenkins wrote: After playing a few games, I'm wondering if the Constable is too powerful.
Yes it has been discussed a lot on BGG. Some people like it a lot, some don't, so this is certainly an interesting design choice :)
Shaq Jenkins wrote:, if you play a Guard on someone who has the Assassin and you guess correctly that s/he is the Assassin,
There is no "tie" in this case : the Assassin knocked out the player who choose a guard action, whatever if the guess is right or not.
KillerDuck

Post by KillerDuck »

Happy Happy, Joy Joy :D :D
JollyBird

Post by JollyBird »

Thanks a lot for this expansion!

One question about the effect of the new card Sycophant(Choose target of the next effect):

Last player just played Sycophant against me and it's my turn.
I play Priest... and surprisely I can look at the card from the player I choose.
Is this how it should play?
(I thought because of Sycophant I could only play Priest against myself).
https://nl.2.boardgamearena.com/lovelet ... e=27721253#
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Post by sourisdudesert »

JollyBird wrote:Last player just played Sycophant against me and it's my turn.
I play Priest... and surprisely I can look at the card from the player I choose.
I agree this is unclear in the rules. Our interpretation is : as long as you play a card that CAN target the Sycophant victim, then you MUST target the Sycophant victim. As you cannot target yourself with Priest (as specified in Priest card), Sycophant has no effect on the next card if this is a priest. Again, this is only our interpretation at now but I feel confident that this should be the correct rule.
JollyBird

Post by JollyBird »

sourisdudesert wrote:
JollyBird wrote:Last player just played Sycophant against me and it's my turn.
I agree this is unclear in the rules. Our interpretation is : as long as you play a card that CAN target the Sycophant victim, then you MUST target the Sycophant victim. As you cannot target yourself with Priest (as specified in Priest card), Sycophant has no effect on the next card if this is a priest. Again, this is only our interpretation at now but I feel confident that this should be the correct rule.
Thanks, for the quick response!
After a bit thinking I agree; ofcourse I can't target myself with Priest! (what was I thinking :o must be excitement of the new game-possibilities).

But I'm not completely sure that it means that Sycophant has no effect at all in this situation.

Sycophant(on card it says):
Choose any player. If the next card played has an effect that requires one or more players to be chosen, they must be one of them.
The rules say: "If you discard a card with an effect that requires you to choose a player that cannot be chosen due to another card effect (Sycophant, Handmaid), your card is discarded without effect." [Quote from BGG since I can't find the Premium rules here).

So maybe the Priest should be discarded without effect in this situation? And not giviing me the nice possibility to look at another players' card maybe?
jprobin

Post by jprobin »

So does the Bishop (9) beat the Princess (8) at the end of the game? That seems weird.

Return to “Official announcements [en]”