April fool's : BGA logo : back to basics

Board Game Arena Official announcements
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

April fool's : BGA logo : back to basics

Post by sourisdudesert »

UPDATE : April fool's! Of course it was a joke, except one thing: we care about YOU, who used to like this website despite its weakness and "not so good looking" stuff. But to make this service sustainable and even larger, we also need the audience that is NOT coming today on BGA because of these "details", so we have to care about eye candy things too. This is a challenge to satisfy all audiences, but we like this :)

Last summer, we changed entirely the visual universe of Board Game Arena with a new logo and new colors.

However, for nostalgic reasons and other reasons explained below, we decided to move back and restore our previous logo & colors.

The main reason is the following : Een and I, the main facilitators of this service, are both engineers, with an artistic sensibility close to zero. Making "good looking" stuff, "nice" colors, "visual harmony", all these things, well ... this is not really our cup of tea.

When we started this website, we went straight to the important point : efficiency. Need an additional statistics ? Here we go : push this button a little bit to the left, push this other element a little bit to the right, and put the new stat in the middle. Need a new advanced option? No problem at all, we add it and add it two others by the way. So yes, at the end the results looks like the Space Shuttle cockpit, but after all, we are board games players and we like to give ourselves headaches !

So yes, they may have good reasons to make this website more "accessible", to have a "wider audience", but to be honest : we only care about YOU, who is already there and who is there and have been always there. You don't care about "raw" interfaces, you are not afraid about juggling with tons of options. And by the way, we are close to 800.000 registered users on BGA, this is good enough :) !

In consequence, in the near future we will revert some changes from last years. What you can expect is to see everywhere more buttons, more options, more indicators ... and you won't need to click to make them appear. On mobile, to make things clear you'll just have to zoom a little (at 800% everything is pretty clear). So yes the website may be a little bit more complex than today, but we are now writing a very simple PDF with a dozen of pages to explain how all of this will work. Like a BGA game rules. Simple and efficient.

Of course, the new-old logo symbolize this first step of this direction change. In the following weeks you'll see other changes, and we hope that this will allow you to go further with BGA, for the love of board games, only board games, without eye-candy stuff - after all, why not play in text mode?

The team.
Kincajou

Re: BGA logo : back to basics

Post by Kincajou »

This sounds really interesting! As a scientist i also know that feeling of preferring functionality over aesthetics :)

I'eager to see where this takes the website.
For the moment though i must admit that i'become accustomed to the previous logo and kid of prefer it ;) that said, bring on the changes :D
Cappie

Post by Cappie »

I am just wondering which date it is today.... :D
JollyBird

Post by JollyBird »

Good one :lol:
Nice to see that good old logo back though!
Please keep it - please - please - please ;)
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

You have guts. While I'm not an engineer (my dad was - doesn't there have to be one in every geeky family?), I do prefer practicality over aesthetics. I do like for things to look nice, but that doesn't mean it has to be all colorful and fancy, just neat and clean. And I prefer to be able to read stuff, and I seem to recall I used to be able to read things a lot better. Too many things on the internet are turning grey colors that I can't read. And that blue on pinkish on completed game notifications was awful.
bushbabe

Post by bushbabe »

Hi!

I've read this post (and translated in in Dutch).

Being an engineer myself I understand what your saying.
However I think form and function can go perfectly together.
I have a kid (engineer to be probably) who's great in designing websites.
Easy to the eye is a first step in easy to use.

Perhaps my kid can help you with making the website looking great without holding you back in making the website working great?
She's a board game geek as well and already playing on BGA.

Best regards,
Nance (Bushbabe)
Cappie

Post by Cappie »

Guys, its april fools day. First of april. So the new, and far better logo, will return. ;)
Willie333b

Post by Willie333b »

Cappie wrote:I am just wondering which date it is today.... :D
April Fool's Day
StratThinker

Post by StratThinker »

I incorrectly thought this was posted yesterday, so I was fooled by the first few paragraphs; the centre paragraphs had me going "um, okay"; for the last paragraphs, I didn't even need to check what date this was posted on.
squarerootofthree

Post by squarerootofthree »

Boy, you two have guts. Given the uproar over the design changes last time around i'm impressed you went ahead with this joke. Fwiw, I prefer the new logo but I know you'll be hearing from a lot of people who wished it never changed. :-D

Happy April Fools!

Return to “Official announcements [en]”