Simple Lobby Mode is now available!

Board Game Arena Official announcements
JollyBird

Re: Simple Lobby Mode is now available!

Post by JollyBird »

Also using Firefox:
- In Gamelobby no Main Chat visible at all at first sight. When scrolling all the way down it appears on the left bottom corner (game lobby advanced version)
- In Forum Main Chat visible at wrong location; on the left beneath the messages, visible when scrolling down
- News shows in kind of Main Chat window on the right. Where it actually should be is showing just nice wood background

Hope this helps solving the problem.

By the way very nice those rounded corners with in game choices ("go to next table". "pas" etc)!
Een

Post by Een »

luck2 wrote: After this correction i have problems in Firefox browser
Often i need to change the scale of the page (text) for a
normal game, for example, in Race for the Galaxy.
I checked with Firefox and I haven't been able to see any problem. The Main Chat is available and the page displays correctly.
Did you try clearing your browser cache? (CTRL+F5)
Could you also give us your browser name, version and operating system? Did this start happening after yersterday evening 16:00 CET or did it happen before?

EDIT: nevermind, we managed to reproduce this, it happens only for some languages (for example Russian). Must be linked to some translation taking more space than expected on the page. We are looking into it.

EDIT: the problem was actually with yesterday's news, there was some specific markup that broke the translated news and impacted the site. It has been fixed now.
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

I don't know if this could possibly be related in any way, but the first page of this thread cuts off in the middle of Jessicacannot Sp eak's post. (Which might make it even more difficult for her to speak. :lol: )
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

JollyBird wrote: By the way very nice those rounded corners with in game choices ("go to next table". "pas" etc)!
I like this a lot too. I feel like something else is different, but perhaps that very subtle change made a big difference.
Een

Post by Een »

Cragatz wrote: The only thing I would ask is if there was a way to add a simple indicator in the corner of the image for each game showing how many tables of that particular game are currently open for new players. This could be just a simple circle with a number in it. So I could see the number "3" on a game and know that 3 tables are available for play and that I could expect to play relatively soon. If I see the number "0" then I know that there are no open tables currently, that I would be creating a new table if I clicked "play now," and that it might be a while before I could expect to play the game.

Adding the longest wait time for available tables, or the minimum number of players needed to start the next game, or any other additional indicator to give players a little more of an idea as to how long they can expect to wait for the game to start might be nice also. This could be as simple as another small indicator in another corner of the image of each game, or it could be a tool tip when the mouse hovers over the "available tables" indicator as suggested above.
Well, actually that would'nt mean much. There can be just 1 table and it fits with you and as soon as you click "play now" it starts, or there can be 20 and no one maching your level or your preference and you'll need to wait. So adding a table number would overload the interface with no clear benefit. The idea is, I fancy playing this, I click on it, I wait a little, during this time I see another one I could play, I click on it too, and so on until a game starts. The idea is not to study the list 10 minutes to know which game is the most likely to start fast, because then you already lost 10 minutes ;)

And when you click and wait some seconds, then you get some info that allows you to know if you should really wait or just cancel. The progress bar is the number of players around the table over the number of players needed, and there is an estimated time indication (computed over the time spent waiting for this game during the last days). If it's not ok with you, you just cancel and check another, but you had a chance for an immediate start!
Absolutely love it otherwise! Thanks for all you do!!!
Glad you like it! Thanks!
Een

Post by Een »

Liallan wrote:I don't know if this could possibly be related in any way, but the first page of this thread cuts off in the middle of Jessicacannot Sp eak's post. (Which might make it even more difficult for her to speak. :lol: )
Actually, completely unrelated, that's just because of the big image inside Jessicacannot Sp eak's post. Seems like it breaks the forum layout...
Een

Post by Een »

Liallan wrote: The player level needs some explanation. Keep in mind you were trying to make this easier for beginners, and considering that I completely confused what this meant, I'm sure a beginner is not going to get it. At first I took it literally, like if I'm at 201 then "my level" meant 201, but it seemed ludicrous to expect to find someone at 201, and then have +/- 2 as far as it would go. So I finally realized you mean "level" as in average, good, etc. Maybe I was just being silly not understanding that, but someone new to the site I don't think is going to understand it and it's supposed to be easy for them. (It doesn't need a long explanation. Even just putting in parenthesis something like Levels=Average, Good, etc.)
Well, that's actually under "preferences / show advanced options" for the game, so not really "beginner intended" :D
Still, we can add some clarification.
Liallan wrote:I think it would be nice to add the Very Good and Excellent options to the reputation. (The lack of these options is one reason I will never use this.) "Good" is a misnomer because everyone starts out that way, so the options here are only allowing people to filter out those with bad reputations, but having to accept people who have never earned any kind of reputation. And whereas newbies do need to play to get a reputation, they are by far the most likely people to just quit. (Especially turn-based, and trust me, it happens a lot.)
The new lobby has the same reputation restrictions as the classic lobby, so you are actually discussing the reputation filter in general and not the new lobby here: not an actual factor of choice between new and classic ;)
Liallan wrote:Audio-video: What? I can get the concept of turning audio off, though you can do that yourself when you get into the game. But how can you not have video? This obviously has a meaning I don't understand.
This has been available for a long time on the classic lobby. It allows for real time communication (audio/video chat) between players. Of course that's not much use for turn based players.
thirdmar

Post by thirdmar »

Is it possible to NOT be directed to a table with an expansion (Race for the Galaxy)? I'm no club member and I can't click on the expansions in the new lobby to set my preferences.
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

thirdmar wrote:Is it possible to NOT be directed to a table with an expansion (Race for the Galaxy)? I'm no club member and I can't click on the expansions in the new lobby to set my preferences.

It's possible that since "base game" is white which is "default," that it might be OK. But it also might help to put Base Game on that green preference?

It seems a little odd for the expansions to not be a choice. The Simple Lobby isn't meant to start games, but rather join them, or at least that's my impression. So it seems illogical to not let you join an expansion when you could do that otherwise.
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

Een wrote:
Liallan wrote: The player level needs some explanation. Keep in mind you were trying to make this easier for beginners, and considering that I completely confused what this meant, I'm sure a beginner is not going to get it. At first I took it literally, like if I'm at 201 then "my level" meant 201, but it seemed ludicrous to expect to find someone at 201, and then have +/- 2 as far as it would go. So I finally realized you mean "level" as in average, good, etc. Maybe I was just being silly not understanding that, but someone new to the site I don't think is going to understand it and it's supposed to be easy for them. (It doesn't need a long explanation. Even just putting in parenthesis something like Levels=Average, Good, etc.)
Well, that's actually under "preferences / show advanced options" for the game, so not really "beginner intended" :D
Still, we can add some clarification.
OK, you got me there. Of course I couldn't leave it alone and had to go into the preferences, and even open more preferences. :mrgreen: (I'm not very good at this auto-stuff.)
Liallan wrote:I think it would be nice to add the Very Good and Excellent options to the reputation. (The lack of these options is one reason I will never use this.) "Good" is a misnomer because everyone starts out that way, so the options here are only allowing people to filter out those with bad reputations, but having to accept people who have never earned any kind of reputation. And whereas newbies do need to play to get a reputation, they are by far the most likely people to just quit. (Especially turn-based, and trust me, it happens a lot.)
The new lobby has the same reputation restrictions as the classic lobby, so you are actually discussing the reputation filter in general and not the new lobby here: not an actual factor of choice between new and classic ;)
Not true. I can set it to >85%. In fact, I would never create invites if I could not do that, because it's way too common to quit turn-based games, and new players are far more likely to do it. Before I started getting super-picky about the players on a game, around half of my games never finished. If a game doesn't have the >85% restriction (most don't), I'll wait and join last. This is just a serious problem with turn-based games.
Liallan wrote:Audio-video: What? I can get the concept of turning audio off, though you can do that yourself when you get into the game. But how can you not have video? This obviously has a meaning I don't understand.
This has been available for a long time on the classic lobby. It allows for real time communication (audio/video chat) between players. Of course that's not much use for turn based players.
OK - I never noticed that before because the top section of the configuration just populates with my normal settings and I only look at the bottom where variants and such might be.

Return to “Official announcements [en]”