Board Game Arena Goodies!

Board Game Arena Official announcements
Deranged

Re: Board Game Arena Goodies!

Post by Deranged »

Whoa, why the hate for the F-shirt? I'd quite like one, and I've seen the reference being thrown around quite a bit even if I didn't know it was originaly Ibizan.

This site is generally against foul language so I can't say I wasn't surprised, but that's all. Poor taste? Nah.

Will they be made available for shops?
NaceWindu

Post by NaceWindu »

I agree with most of the other posters. Even if it is a reference to something, many of us find the F me shirt to be crude and in poor taste. Surely there is something better that can be come up with for the ELO reference than that.
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

Deranged wrote:Whoa, why the hate for the F-shirt? I'd quite like one, and I've seen the reference being thrown around quite a bit even if I didn't know it was originaly Ibizan.

This site is generally against foul language so I can't say I wasn't surprised, but that's all. Poor taste? Nah.
Most of the people who have considered it in bad taste have been from the U.S. Not all, but most. So it may just be difficult to see it from a completely different culture. Even here, it's such a huge country that there's lots of sub-cultures.

I don't know the reference, even after having it explained. And I think whether it seems in poor taste depends on context. Like I don't have anything against foul words in and of themselves - it's what I'm going to say if I stub my toe. :lol: In fact, I have no issue with what the t-shirt says. I guess I have more issue with it being on clothes that represents this site. I would never wear it anywhere, not out in public, cause it would be tacky. And I don't think I'd even wear it to my game group.

Now, Christian Slater in Robin Hood says "F- me. They made it." Seems totally appropriate, except if it doesn't fit the time period. (They decided to let it slide.) It's pretty funny actually. But I still don't want it on a t-shirt. I don't want to walk around announcing that to everyone, as your average audience would probably find it vulgar, and then they'd think the site was vulgar. (Actually, your average audience wouldn't "get" the site at all.) Maybe on a mug... ?

Perhaps it's different in the Netherlands.... (And apparently France, and maybe most of Europe, I don't know.)
Darnoc

Post by Darnoc »

Suggestion:

Substitute "OMG" for "F*** ME"
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Post by sourisdudesert »

As it seems that a lot of players here was unable to ignore this design, we removed this design.

To be coherent with this decision, we removed also all comments containing foul language on this forum thread.
FFHXZY

Post by FFHXZY »

I don't find the F*** design appealing. I think it's in the best interest in the site to remove it.
Deranged

Post by Deranged »

:(

Can I still get one?

I really don't like that it was removed, I mean there are borders to what can be considered good taste and this was well within those borders. As for the Netherlands, we learned all our F-ery from Americans, so what it has to do with native speakers I don't know. We (Europeans) do seem more resistant to language, or at least we don't whine as much.

Ten people complain and it is removed, and I take issue with that. There's too much of that going on in the world. FFS, we're all adults here. You don't have to wear it. The guys (and gals) who run the site approved of it or it wouldn't have been on here in the first place, and isn't that what counts?

Anyway, back to my question: will they be made available for shops? :)
Deranged

Post by Deranged »

Liallan wrote:
Deranged wrote:Whoa, why the hate for the F-shirt? I'd quite like one, and I've seen the reference being thrown around quite a bit even if I didn't know it was originaly Ibizan.

Most of the people who have considered it in bad taste have been from the U.S. Not all, but most. So it may just be difficult to see it from a completely different culture. Even here, it's such a huge country that there's lots of sub-cultures.
[...]
Perhaps it's different in the Netherlands.... (And apparently France, and maybe most of Europe, I don't know.)
Thanks for the explanation, seriously.

But why then do you have to force your sensitivities on us? Let us decide what is bad taste for ourselves. If it's a difference in culture, then we shouldn't have to bow to yours. Respect, yes, surely, of course. Respect, as in "Allow to wear and say whatever the bleep you want".

This is not okay.

I'm possibly the only one on this side of the argument, so please let it be known that I (in basis) respect most of you and any negativity is contained in this argument only, and I'd gladly play a round of Hanabi afterwards.
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

Deranged wrote:
Liallan wrote:

[...]
Thanks for the explanation, seriously.

But why then do you have to force your sensitivities on us? Let us decide what is bad taste for ourselves. If it's a difference in culture, then we shouldn't have to bow to yours. Respect, yes, surely, of course. Respect, as in "Allow to wear and say whatever the bleep you want".

This is not okay.

I'm possibly the only one on this side of the argument, so please let it be known that I (in basis) respect most of you and any negativity is contained in this argument only, and I'd gladly play a round of Hanabi afterwards.
How about if you tell me where in that post I said they needed to get rid of it or that you couldn't wear it. You are the one who asked why all the hatred for it. Can I not make an attempt to answer that question without you deciding that I "don't respect" your side of it? I even acknowledged that perhaps that is different where you are, and it might be difficult to see from another side. I was telling you MY OPINION of it. I did not tell you what your opinion should be.

If you don't want an answer, don't ask questions, and especially not ones that involve an opinion that you already know is different than yours :!: I'll certainly remember never to answer you again.

And by the way, no one was "whining" about it. They were just giving opinions - that's not the same as whining.
Deranged

Post by Deranged »

Oh of course, you were responding to me, I know, and other than quoting you I wasn't attacking you whatsoever!

Chill! Relax! Why can't I ever have a disagreement about something without people getting upset about it? I even thanked you for the explanation! You never have to answer again because I'll never ask anything ever again.

Return to “Official announcements [en]”