Board Game Arena Goodies!

Board Game Arena Official announcements
turtler7

Re: Board Game Arena Goodies!

Post by turtler7 »

I am surprised it was removed from the shop. It should be available for purchase as there is a market for it.

I think the people who were complaining about it were most worried about it being a featured image in the news feed. Checking updated news or home page and having that right there on the screen is a potential problem for those with children or who just avoid foul language in general. I for one try very hard to make sure my media is clean and do not even have children. The words are not to my taste but that doesn't in anyway mean others are not allowed to like something cheeky like that. I just would like the news page image to be modified to not showcase that particular shirt. The shop itself is perfectly acceptable as anyone going to search can have options and weed out ones they do not want. Everyone visiting the site would have to see the news headline (new ones have sinse bumped it off the large homepage banner at least).
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

Deranged wrote:Oh of course, you were responding to me, I know, and other than quoting you I wasn't attacking you whatsoever!

Chill! Relax! Why can't I ever have a disagreement about something without people getting upset about it? I even thanked you for the explanation! You never have to answer again because I'll never ask anything ever again.
Because following thanking me for the explanation you said "But why then do you have to force your sensitivities on us?" Either you're still talking to me... and if not, then just explain that. And I hate to tell you this, but you didn't exactly sound happy yourself, so I could ask you what you were getting so upset about.

Regardless who you were talking to, it's not fair to make the accusation that anyone was trying to force anything on anyone else, just giving their opinion on the matter. No one asked you to "bow to us." I especially don't like it when I absolutely do respect that you feel differently about it, the opposite of your accusation. In fact, I don't understand why Sourisdudesert changed his mind after stating his position and said they were keeping it.
yoyote

Post by yoyote »

Deranged wrote::(

Can I still get one?

I really don't like that it was removed, I mean there are borders to what can be considered good taste and this was well within those borders. As for the Netherlands, we learned all our F-ery from Americans, so what it has to do with native speakers I don't know. We (Europeans) do seem more resistant to language, or at least we don't whine as much.

Ten people complain and it is removed, and I take issue with that. There's too much of that going on in the world. FFS, we're all adults here. You don't have to wear it. The guys (and gals) who run the site approved of it or it wouldn't have been on here in the first place, and isn't that what counts?

Anyway, back to my question: will they be made available for shops? :)
+1 deranged, you're not alone. In the french forum, there isn't any complain about f***. I thought a lot of americans were using the word 'fuck' in their language, like french people are using 'putain'.
But it should be an idea from TV shows I love like The wire or Oz :D
By the way, I understand why sourisdudesert and een have stopped this tshirt, but I take issue with that too.
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

yoyote wrote: I thought a lot of americans were using the word 'fuck' in their language, like french people are using 'putain'.
Sounds like neither one of you read what I said. Deranged also made a comment about learning "f-ery" from Americans so he didn't see what it had to do with native speakers.

Part of the point of the post I made was that context matters.

But just to expand on that...

Just because SOME Americans do use the F-word (I'd just say it but my post might be obliterated), and some of them quite liberally, doesn't mean a lot of them don't like the word. A lot of people do find it offensive and vulgar, and the very epitome of foul language. For others, it's just part of their vocabulary. I'll use the word in the right company, in the right context, whereas my mother would have found it more than a little offensive.

I'm someone who will use the word in the right company/context, so I can totally see where that matters. I don't use it around most people. It's not a word I'm throwing around, except around the house where there's no one to hear but the cats, or in certain groups of people who tend towards talking that way, or just around certain individuals, or maybe if I'm mad enough and don't care. And since I would not be using the word out in general public, I would never wear it on a t-shirt. This has nothing to do with my own feelings about the word itself, but rather that I don't think it would go over well in general public. I imagine it's somewhat related to exactly where one lives. I wouldn't mind it on a mug cause that would just stay in my house. (Not saying I'd want it, just that I wouldn't mind.) So wearing it is the issue. ("context")

I think one thing difficult to understand is how it comes off to people, and not how it translates and how you might use the word or how it comes off in another language.

"Putain" (according to google) translated to "whore." While whore is not the nicest word, it's not the level of f***. That's not so much about the word itself, but the way it's used in describing someone - to be a whore is far worse than using any language, and calling someone a whore is a pretty big insult (especially if they aren't). So I translated f*** to French and got merde. Then translated merde back to English and got shit. Just not the same. Shit is cussing, yes, but not quite as vulgar. So we're already off into things not translating right. Although when I translated shit to French, it did come up with merde again. (It also added crap, poop, etc., and those words would only offend the most easily offended person. That's not even cussing, though maybe not what you want to say at a fine dinner party.)

So even if you got the word from us, that doesn't really say anything about how people in general might feel about it, and also says nothing about the context of its use. I see it used very little in forums, at least places like this. Movies, sure, but that's Hollywood. That's not real. And actors definitely have more colorful language than the general populous, and I know cause I was involved in theatre once upon a time. (Which is mostly where I picked it up from.)

But again, I do accept that this is not the same everywhere, just trying once again to explain other attitudes. I still think if you are all fine with it, then by all means do it. (Although - since a great deal of members are American, I kind of see the point in not making it the first thing someone sees.)
VeganChick

Post by VeganChick »

Absolutely, try using the old logo. Current logo has been a disaster since the start and looks like a purple udder. And I'd like to leave cow teets alone.. as a vegan.

I'm glad the F word design has been removed. It is obviously geared toward men and I'd never wear it as a woman. Also, it seems like a desperate attempt to attract attention and kind of played into the stereotype that gamer dudes are sexist and can't get laid. So yeah, glad it's gone.
brisdaz

Post by brisdaz »

Every Monday or so I believe there's a 20% off special at RedBubble. Does that also mean that BGA gets less money as well? How much less?
Een

Post by Een »

brisdaz wrote:Every Monday or so I believe there's a 20% off special at RedBubble. Does that also mean that BGA gets less money as well? How much less?
No idea. To be honest, there is not a lot of orders for goodies and the amounts from RedBubble are very small so this is pretty insignificant anyway. We keep it just for players who really would like some BGA goodies :)

Return to “Official announcements [en]”