Soon on BGA ...

Board Game Arena Official announcements
serclaudio

Re: Soon on BGA ...

Post by serclaudio »

sourisdudesert wrote:
serclaudio wrote:When will you implement Catan ?
If you want to see Catan here, the best thing to do is to write some nice words about BGA to Catan Gmbh who own the rights, telling them that it would be good to have it there :)
I wrote to ticketsupport-legal@catan.com :

"Good morning. Catan is a beautiful game. I have "Catan", "Catan Histories: Settlers of Americ" and "Catan Card Game".
Why do not you give rights to BGA (Board Game Arena) because they implement it on their site too? Thank you, Claudio"
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

clue77 wrote:
Cappie wrote:
nightlyraver wrote:
Is that even necessary? Catan is the game that got me into playing board games as an adult. And after I started playing other games, I soon realized how crappy Catan really is...
+1

Although once a year it does get on the table. Just to experience it again. And indeed notice how crappy Some things are. That said, the interaction can be thrilling.

But once you've played games like agricola or great Western trail, you won't be asking for Catan here.
If you ever played Catan City and knights team play, you will never say this same is crappy.
That's as bad as what Cappie said to start with. Neither of you can decide for other people what they do and do not like, and I fail to comprehend how anyone thinks they can. (Unless it's someone you actually know and know their tastes really well.)

I should probably start checking in with you two when I play a new game to find out if I liked it. :roll:
Cappie

Post by Cappie »

Liallan wrote:
clue77 wrote:
Cappie wrote:
+1

Although once a year it does get on the table. Just to experience it again. And indeed notice how crappy Some things are. That said, the interaction can be thrilling.

But once you've played games like agricola or great Western trail, you won't be asking for Catan here.
If you ever played Catan City and knights team play, you will never say this same is crappy.
That's as bad as what Cappie said to start with. Neither of you can decide for other people what they do and do not like, and I fail to comprehend how anyone thinks they can. (Unless it's someone you actually know and know their tastes really well.)

I should probably start checking in with you two when I play a new game to find out if I liked it. :roll:
What bad thing did i said? I didnt start this discussion, just agreed with someone who doesnt think Catan is the best game.
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

Cappie wrote:
Liallan wrote:
clue77 wrote:

What bad thing did i said? I didnt start this discussion, just agreed with someone who doesnt think Catan is the best game.
Well, I already said, so I doubt repeating myself is going to make a difference. You didn't "just agree" with someone who doesn't like Catan. I could care less if you don't like the game. But I'm quite sure there's people asking for Catan who have played Agricola.
Cappie

Post by Cappie »

Liallan wrote:
Cappie wrote:
Liallan wrote: That's as bad as what Cappie said to start with. Neither of you can decide for other people what they do and do not like, and I fail to comprehend how anyone thinks they can. (Unless it's someone you actually know and know their tastes really well.)

Well, I already said, so I doubt repeating myself is going to make a difference. You didn't "just agree" with someone who doesn't like Catan. I could care less if you don't like the game. But I'm quite sure there's people asking for Catan who have played Agricola.

You shouldn't read so much in to it. Sorry, my native language isn't English. So maybe it sounds a bit harder then I really ment it.
I will also be playing Catan here if they made it. Because I do like some of it. But I do find there are some crappy things. Like the total luck of dice you do need sometimes. You could be 4 or 5 rounds without getting any cards and you can't do anything about it.

That being said, for me, Agricola is a better game, in which you also need some luck with the cards.

But hey, if you want to make a fight here, just go ahead. :?
EllieK

Post by EllieK »

serclaudio wrote:
noknotuntiesitself wrote:
nightlyraver wrote:
Is that even necessary? Catan is the game that got me into playing board games as an adult. And after I started playing other games, I soon realized how crappy Catan really is...
Moving onto other games doesn't make any one game "crappy." Catan is a solid game in its category; most of the hate toward it is just people trying to make others think they're Gaming Nerdier Than Thou.
I totally agree. A beautiful game is beautiful anyway, and Catan is a beautiful game
I think Catan might be an issue because Catan has a game killer rule, "You can trade as much as you want to whoever you want at any time." There is no counter for me trading everything you need to win next turn, with you. There is no enforcement against it. I saw it once and never played again.
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

Cappie wrote:
Liallan wrote:
Cappie wrote:

You shouldn't read so much in to it. Sorry, my native language isn't English. So maybe it sounds a bit harder then I really ment it.
I will also be playing Catan here if they made it. Because I do like some of it. But I do find there are some crappy things. Like the total luck of dice you do need sometimes. You could be 4 or 5 rounds without getting any cards and you can't do anything about it.
Oh, I totally agree with you - any game with that kind of luck is going to be like that, so it certainly depends on whether you can deal with or like that kind of luck. Again, I could care less whether anyone in particular does or does not like the game.
Cappie wrote:That being said, for me, Agricola is a better game, in which you also need some luck with the cards.
The "for me" indicates how you feel, and that concept was missing before. Instead, you told other people how they would feel. I'll blame it on English not being your native language and forget about it.

It's just that I have seen too many cases of people who really did think that everyone else should be like them, and would tell other people how they do, or should, feel about it. Which is why I take issue when someone says a thing like that, just so you understand where that was coming from. I even have a new guy in my group who seems to not be able to imagine anything that isn't like himself. (He argued with me about why I don't like some game, like he just couldn't comprehend that.) Keep in mind I was answering someone else, and had initially ignored your post - but two of them was too much for me. Although you're not really sounding like that kind of person.
Cappie

Post by Cappie »

[quote="Liallan]
It's just that I have seen too many cases of people who really did think that everyone else should be like them, and would tell other people how they do, or should, feel about it. Which is why I take issue when someone says a thing like that, just so you understand where that was coming from. I even have a new guy in my group who seems to not be able to imagine anything that isn't like himself. (He argued with me about why I don't like some game, like he just couldn't comprehend that.) Keep in mind I was answering someone else, and had initially ignored your post - but two of them was too much for me. Although you're not really sounding like that kind of person.[/quote]

I think I should be reading my comments again before sending them. Because the first one really was a bit pushy towards other people and what they like. Of course everbody is free to find a game the best game ever. That is totally an opinion (again a sentence that could be in better english :P). And opinions are free for all. Games are like music I guess. I completly don't like house music, but I do understand that other people might also really not like the music I listen to.
And of course, opinions do change over time. Once Catan was my favourite game. And it was the only game that our group really played. But then a member of our group bought Agricola and things started to change. Nowadays Agricola isn't my favourite game, but Tzolkin is. And that might change in a couple of months.

That being said, I would like to recommend people other games than Catan. Especially when they haven't played anything else. And if you play something else and you still like Catan the most then that of course is no problem with me. I do think it would be nice if people played other games. That way you can find a new favourite or realise that Catan really is the game for you.
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

Cappie wrote:
Liallan wrote: It's just that I have seen too many cases of people who really did think that everyone else should be like them, and would tell other people how they do, or should, feel about it. Which is why I take issue when someone says a thing like that, just so you understand where that was coming from. I even have a new guy in my group who seems to not be able to imagine anything that isn't like himself. (He argued with me about why I don't like some game, like he just couldn't comprehend that.) Keep in mind I was answering someone else, and had initially ignored your post - but two of them was too much for me. Although you're not really sounding like that kind of person.
I think I should be reading my comments again before sending them. Because the first one really was a bit pushy towards other people and what they like.
See, see, I told you so. :P :lol:

Cappie wrote:That being said, I would like to recommend people other games than Catan. Especially when they haven't played anything else. And if you play something else and you still like Catan the most then that of course is no problem with me. I do think it would be nice if people played other games. That way you can find a new favourite or realise that Catan really is the game for you.
I agree it's a nice idea to experience some different games, and different mechanics - I hate for someone to be turned off because they don't happen to like worker placement or tile laying or economic or whatever. Nobody ever brings their Catan so we have to find something else. I didn't start on Catan - that was the big joke that I had never played it. I started on Robo Rally, and then jumped right into Colosseum. Now I'm wanting to go back to all the gateway games.

(I got your invite - had to try to think why I knew that name. So I'm going to go beat your butt now. Not.)
LaFurst

Post by LaFurst »

I love the artwork!

Return to “Official announcements [en]”