3D, groups list, friends popup, reputation ...

Board Game Arena Official announcements
njshaw2

Re: 3D, groups list, friends popup, reputation ...

Post by njshaw2 »

3D: Fun to play with, but as you say not useful unless it's integrated with games. Takenoko would be a good one, to be able to see the stacking bamboo!

Non-auto-popup of notes: I'd prefer it to auto-popup personally as a reminder I MADE the notes [I know the icon shows red when there are notes, but that's often not what I'm looking at when the game page opens].
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

I'm kind of curious who all these people were who complained about the auto-open of the Notes. I never saw anything like that, and now several people are saying they don't like the change. I love the change, just noticing the comments. Of course, those who don't like the change could be more likely to come say something.

I tried the 3D with most of the games I'm currently playing. I was right - I didn't like it. I think the controls are clunky, and by time I get everything to fit on the screen, it's too small to be useful. (Except for games not taking up much space.) And it didn't look better for most of them. I could see my cards a bit better in Hearts, Backgammon wasn't too bad, it was horrid in Puerto Rico and Seasons. I know those games weren't made to work that way, but I do think it would work poorly with any game taking up more space.

One thing that would help I think, is to make the scrolling be a mouse-grab/swipe type thing, like Carcassonne. Having that 4 sided box with arrows is a serious pain to use IMO.
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Really like the fact that the "Turn based personal notes" do not open automatically now and that the "Go to next table" button is now slight further away from all the other game actions. I haven't tried the 3D feature yet because I personally like how the games look like now but it is great to have the option for those who might like it!

Really pleased with the new implementations, keep up with the good work ;)
CB Droege

Post by CB Droege »

I agree that the position of the notes box could be better. I especially notice it in Florenza, when I want to be able to see my notes and my resources at the same time, and I can't. I think it would be nice if it pushed the player cards down instead of covering them. I think that would be easier to code than making it float?
nandblock

Post by nandblock »

Re: 3D -- while I don't want it for most of the existing games on BGA it does at least open up the possibility of games where it's genuinely needed (Santorini or Torres for instance: I hate playing Torres on Yucata or BAJ where there is no 3D).

I do like having my notes to myself open automatically but an alternative would be having a more visible reminder that there's a note to open: e.g. a flashing button or sign or the like (just having it coloured red isn't enough). If it's very discreet I'm likely to forget to consult my note before playing.
shadowphiar

Post by shadowphiar »

Could there be a checkbox at the bottom of each note, saying whether or not it should pop up when the game is next opened?
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Post by sourisdudesert »

I actually tested the checkbox and it doesn't work (for design reason).

As many of you said here, there is no reason not to show your notes. If you don't want to see notes, probably you don't want to use notes. So auto-popup will be restored with the next website release.
Randomex

Post by Randomex »

Thanks for linking in-game names to profiles.
szul

Post by szul »

Excellent improvements!
Morgalad

Post by Morgalad »

Liallan wrote:I'm kind of curious who all these people were who complained about the auto-open of the Notes. I never saw anything like that, and now several people are saying they don't like the change. I love the change, just noticing the comments. Of course, those who don't like the change could be more likely to come say something.

I tried the 3D with most of the games I'm currently playing. I was right - I didn't like it. I think the controls are clunky, and by time I get everything to fit on the screen, it's too small to be useful. (Except for games not taking up much space.) And it didn't look better for most of them. I could see my cards a bit better in Hearts, Backgammon wasn't too bad, it was horrid in Puerto Rico and Seasons. I know those games weren't made to work that way, but I do think it would work poorly with any game taking up more space.

One thing that would help I think, is to make the scrolling be a mouse-grab/swipe type thing, like Carcassonne. Having that 4 sided box with arrows is a serious pain to use IMO.
The first game that is "certified 100%" to work in 3D is Takara Island, I developed the game to show the cards in a stack, the dice is a 3d cube, and the fly or flip card animations are genuinely designed for the 3D view. Now I plan to revisit Incan gold to create the gems and the tents in 3D :o

My next game is directly designed for 3D mode, it is also playable in 2d but my idea is to no longer develop "web adaptaions of board games" but "board games in a browser".

Btw, scrolling works like in 3D game shooters , just use the cursor keys when in 3d mode.
Cheers...
Morgalad

Developer of: Incan Gold , Takara Island , Taluva and Veggie Garden

Return to “Official announcements [en]”