Ask Us Anything!

Board Game Arena Official announcements
byrdhouse65

Re: Ask Us Anything!

Post by byrdhouse65 »

I know you have an undo function on at least one of your games. Is it possible to make that functionality available on many more of your games? That would make the games more enjoyable and much less frustrating, especially for new players. Thank you for all the great games that you have developed online. Keep up the good work.
Catfck

Post by Catfck »

Hi,

I'd like to play on Boardgames arena to several other boardgames,

like Istanbul, Great western trail, cave and also some sports boardgames
Coach Phil

Post by Coach Phil »

I really love playing games on this site but I do have some negative comments in regards to some of the play on here. The games that are suppose to be typically random (Can't stop, Yahtzee, etc.) seem to be geared toward higher ranking players. Just played a game in which the opening round, the player took the number 5 all the way to claim the column in Can't Stop. As many games as I have played of Can't Stop, I have never witnessed a round in which someone has taken that many turns and not crap out so to speak. So anyway, that was the last time I will play that game. Secondly and on a more positive note, is there a way that a training/simulated version can be accessed for learning how to play a game rather than playing live? There are many games on here I would love to learn and play but many times, players in a "live" game either don't have the patience to play with a beginner or don't want to help teach it. Just a thought.
EMBison

Post by EMBison »

Hey guys. Love the site. Thanks.

The one thing that bugs me (in the real time world) are people who open up a game to play and then wander off. People join the game, wait for it to fill , and then when enough players have joined the game-creator isn't around to start things. I'm not sure how to solve it, but anything you can do would help. One thing I thought of is asking everyone waitingnce every (minute? two minutes) if they still want to play. If they don't answer in 20 seconds, boot them.
macfazzer

Post by macfazzer »

Why, when playing Carcassonne from my phone do my upcoming blocks do not appear and when playing again on my phone, same game, single tile road pieces do not appear on the map unless I quickly move the screen around?

ONe more

Why when playing the 3 rounds version of Lost cities do the cards appear below the playing board at significantly greater and greater distances while advancing from round 1-2 and then from 2-3?
B3RING3R

Post by B3RING3R »

macfazzer wrote: Why when playing the 3 rounds version of Lost cities do the cards appear below the playing board at significantly greater and greater distances while advancing from round 1-2 and then from 2-3?
I've filed this as a bug and they claimed they could not recreate it. I think it is browser-specific to Chrome.
tarou_i2

Post by tarou_i2 »

なぜ引き分けでもELOが上下するのですか?
travbot

Post by travbot »

Liallan wrote:
travbot wrote:Are there any plans to permit each user to see his preferred color as a default for every game?
Quite personally, I would prefer not see this happen. It might sound strange that anyone would not want to have the ability to make choices about things, like why on earth would I not want to be able to pick the color I want? Well, I would love to do that, and I'm not a paying member so I can't.

The reason is they need to have something that is of benefit to the payment members, and I think this is a nice little thing to allow for them, without non-paying members feeling like they're missing something important. We used to not be able to see out own ELO and I hated that, so if I had to take my pick, I'd rather see ELO and not worry about my player color.

Just my personal preference.
I understand what you are saying. However, my question is why can't I (as a paying member) always have yellow even when my opponent (also a paying member) has yellow as his default color? I see my meeples in yellow on my computer, and he sees his meeples in yellow on his computer. I see his meeples in black, and he sees my meeples in black.

Since the game is played in a virtual world, it is possible for both of us to see our own pieces in the same color. The Yucata gaming site permits this; I've confirmed this in the Fearsome Floors game where both I and fellow gamer see our group as the yellow "friends".
Marronigus

Post by Marronigus »

tarou_i2 wrote:なぜ引き分けでもELOが上下するのですか?
For the record, tarou is asking why when there is a draw, it is the player that has the highest ELO that wins?
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

travbot wrote:
Liallan wrote:
travbot wrote:Are there any plans to permit each user to see his preferred color as a default for every game?
Quite personally, I would prefer not see this happen. It might sound strange that anyone would not want to have the ability to make choices about things, like why on earth would I not want to be able to pick the color I want? Well, I would love to do that, and I'm not a paying member so I can't.

The reason is they need to have something that is of benefit to the payment members, and I think this is a nice little thing to allow for them, without non-paying members feeling like they're missing something important. We used to not be able to see out own ELO and I hated that, so if I had to take my pick, I'd rather see ELO and not worry about my player color.

Just my personal preference.
I understand what you are saying. However, my question is why can't I (as a paying member) always have yellow even when my opponent (also a paying member) has yellow as his default color? I see my meeples in yellow on my computer, and he sees his meeples in yellow on his computer. I see his meeples in black, and he sees my meeples in black.

Since the game is played in a virtual world, it is possible for both of us to see our own pieces in the same color. The Yucata gaming site permits this; I've confirmed this in the Fearsome Floors game where both I and fellow gamer see our group as the yellow "friends".
Sorry, I didn't realize you were a paying member, so I just thought you wanted everyone to be able to choose colors. I guess never mind. :lol:

And Yucata doesn't "permit" it as a site-wide thing. I don't know Fearsome Floors, but same is true of Two by Two, but not all games are like that. I'm fairly sure that's up to the developer. (Not that it's really relevant to this site.)

Return to “Official announcements [en]”