Game page filters, language restriction & audio-video!

Board Game Arena Official announcements
N_Faker

Re: Game page filters, language restriction & audio-video!

Post by N_Faker »

Een wrote:
infrareddandelion wrote:
Een wrote:Why that fear of clicking the icons?
Because I accidentally misclick things all the time. It's one thing if that's a wrong bug in Hive. It's a totally different thing if it's an audio/video chat button.
Well, even if you misclick your browser will ask you to confirm access to your webcam/microphone before starting the session (unless you memorized the setting already). Also, other players will be prompted to accept before any session occurs, so if you misclicked you get the time to click again to cancel the call. You can also refuse access to your webcam/microphone the first time you get asked by the browser and memorize that setting.
The buttons are placed so that the mouse will be right over them after you open the chat window. And they are right next to the chat box field, so even if you move your mouse you may even still click them because of their proximity.
Clicking them will also generated a pop-up warning message(if permissions haven't been given). And the fact that they will generate prompts for others, on the table, on accidental clicks makes it even worse.

It is exceedingly bothersome to avoid them, and it is probably even worse for mobile device users, as noted by nanell.

They don't have to be hidden, but their current placement is just horrible.
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

Een wrote:
infrareddandelion wrote:
Een wrote: Also, other players will be prompted to accept before any session occurs, so if you misclicked you get the time to click again to cancel the call.
This sort of starts to address what I was wanting to know. Does this mean if all the other players do not accept the audio-video that it won't happen for anyone?

From my point of view, I had been wondering if it would show to other players that we are unable to use this feature so that we don't just appear rude. I don't ever have any intention of using this. I'm totally friendly on the chat if people talk, but I just don't like the audio/video stuff. (I don't even own a web cam.)

But this could be important from the other point of view, that if it doesn't work unless everyone accepts, then someone who wants to use it won't be able to. Since this feature (I think) already existed, I guess people who use it understand how it works.
Een

Post by Een »

Liallan wrote:Does this mean if all the other players do not accept the audio-video that it won't happen for anyone?
The live chat session occurs between all players with compatible browser/webcam/microphone who accept to join. If someone doesn't want to join or can't, it doesn't block others.
Een

Post by Een »

N_Faker wrote:The buttons are placed so that the mouse will be right over them after you open the chat window. And they are right next to the chat box field, so even if you move your mouse you may even still click them because of their proximity.
When you open the chat window, focus is directly given to the text input field: you can type directly, there is no need for a second click.
You can even type directly without opening the chat window, it will open automatically.
nanell

Post by nanell »

Een wrote:
N_Faker wrote:The buttons are placed so that the mouse will be right over them after you open the chat window. And they are right next to the chat box field, so even if you move your mouse you may even still click them because of their proximity.
When you open the chat window, focus is directly given to the text input field: you can type directly, there is no need for a second click.
You can even type directly without opening the chat window, it will open automatically.

That is the way it is supposed to work, but.... This worked for me on one of my computers, but that computer no longer works, however it does not and has never worked that way on the computer I currently use. If I open the chat window, I sometimes have to place the cursor into the box before typing, and sometimes it is already there. If the chat window is closed it sometimes lets me start typing without manually opening the window, other times, it forces me to manually open it in order to type. If I am in the process of typing a message, sometimes I have to go back and replace the cursor into the chat window because for some reason it's not there anymore. If I am typing and my turn comes up in the game, I need to stop typing, take my turn, and return to typing. In this case, I have to manually return my cursor to the chat window. This is the reason I kept clicking into the video/audio area and losing the page. In the past it wouldn't do anything and I could just click again and type.
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

I did a little experimenting with the chat. I'm using desktop PC, Win7, Firefox 53.

The feature to start typing and the chat automatically pops up does work for me. I never use it cause it "feels weird," and often I open the chat box to read something, and then type afterwards. But it works.

The cursor is automatically in the type box when I open the chat. I tried this in a game where no chatting had been done at all, one where chatting had already been done, and one where I added a new comment to see if it would still leave the cursor in the type box. All worked fine for me. (I have seen those types of things not work but have no clue what causes that.)

That said, I see where the problem is. Since so many people have said this, I'll assume this is a natural behavior... My mouse of its own accord tends to hover near the word "table" when I click. And that's right where the camera picture is. And after many years of using a mouse, my finger can get a little "trigger happy" and click twice. I'm sure I'd get a message telling me to Go Premium! but it's still a hassle.

And even if you don't click it, hovering anywhere in that area brings up the text box, which is covering the typing box. I'm not sure why there has to be a premium banner, then a microphone, then another premium banner, then the camera. It seems like just a microphone and camera all the way to the left would be sufficient. Or even to the right on that white strip saying "chat at this table" so you don't even have to open the chat box.
nanell wrote:If I am in the process of typing a message, sometimes I have to go back and replace the cursor into the chat window because for some reason it's not there anymore. If I am typing and my turn comes up in the game, I need to stop typing, take my turn, and return to typing. In this case, I have to manually return my cursor to the chat window.
Yes, it does do this. For the times you're not sure why the cursor is suddenly not there anymore, you maybe got distracted and moved the mouse or something? But yes, I've seen that as well.
nanell

Post by nanell »

Liallan wrote:I did a little experimenting with the chat. I'm using desktop PC, Win7, Firefox 53.

The feature to start typing and the chat automatically pops up does work for me. I never use it cause it "feels weird," and often I open the chat box to read something, and then type afterwards. But it works.

The cursor is automatically in the type box when I open the chat. I tried this in a game where no chatting had been done at all, one where chatting had already been done, and one where I added a new comment to see if it would still leave the cursor in the type box. All worked fine for me. (I have seen those types of things not work but have no clue what causes that.)

That said, I see where the problem is. Since so many people have said this, I'll assume this is a natural behavior... My mouse of its own accord tends to hover near the word "table" when I click. And that's right where the camera picture is. And after many years of using a mouse, my finger can get a little "trigger happy" and click twice. I'm sure I'd get a message telling me to Go Premium! but it's still a hassle.

And even if you don't click it, hovering anywhere in that area brings up the text box, which is covering the typing box. I'm not sure why there has to be a premium banner, then a microphone, then another premium banner, then the camera. It seems like just a microphone and camera all the way to the left would be sufficient. Or even to the right on that white strip saying "chat at this table" so you don't even have to open the chat box.
nanell wrote:If I am in the process of typing a message, sometimes I have to go back and replace the cursor into the chat window because for some reason it's not there anymore. If I am typing and my turn comes up in the game, I need to stop typing, take my turn, and return to typing. In this case, I have to manually return my cursor to the chat window.
Yes, it does do this. For the times you're not sure why the cursor is suddenly not there anymore, you maybe got distracted and moved the mouse or something? But yes, I've seen that as well.

Thanks Liallan for the explanation. The computer that the chat window worked as designed was a desktop windows vista, old and outdated now, which is what I think is wrong with it. The one that I'm using now is a laptop windows 8, with a windows 10 update, both Chrome browser.

I have tried to figure out for awhile why my cursor leaves the chat window. I don't have to touch anything and my hands can be away from the computer, or I could actually be in the middle of typing. It will also jump to some random area of the typing area, and I'll find myself typing in a completely different spot than intended. This all started when the chat box was first implemented as a separate box outside of the game log. As annoying as that is, that's not the problem. The problem is when I replace the curser to continue typing or place it to start typing, I end up on the page telling me to go premium. The only reason I responded to Een's explanation is because he was saying the chat window is designed to work in a specific way that does not always work on my laptop computer. It does, however, work that way on my desktop, and I had that as a comparison. I tried to use the chat window again to see what I can do to adjust the way the cursor hovers or the way I use it and it did not go well. In a turn based game, I tried 3 times to send my opponent a question I had about a feature in a game that I am learning, and each time I was redirected to the go premium page. Since I got tired of retyping the same thing, the message was never sent. I will try covering my built in mouse with cardboard or something, in case that's the problem, or I will try bringing up 2 or 3 windows, one for playing the game, one for reading the chat, and one for responding, or I can try to respond through their personal message, that way I don't lose the game page in the process.
Een

Post by Een »

nanell wrote:The problem is when I replace the curser to continue typing or place it to start typing, I end up on the page telling me to go premium.
We replaced the redirect to the premium page by an info message with a link. This way, even in case of a misclick, you won't get out of the current game involuntarily.
nanell

Post by nanell »

Een wrote:
nanell wrote:The problem is when I replace the curser to continue typing or place it to start typing, I end up on the page telling me to go premium.
We replaced the redirect to the premium page by an info message with a link. This way, even in case of a misclick, you won't get out of the current game involuntarily.

Thank you Een! It works much better now.
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

nanell wrote: windows vista,
Well, there's your problem. :lol:

Return to “Official announcements [en]”