Hotseat mode (BETA)

Board Game Arena Official announcements
Liallan

Re: Hotseat mode (BETA)

Post by Liallan »

Efor wrote:
Liallan wrote: I have to wonder if you are misinterpreting how the hotseat works. You're not really inviting him through his account. I just created an invite, did 2 player, used the hotseat mode, and wrote in a friend's name...

In other words, the game was not really with her account, just with her name. The record in my account shows my opponent as "_Hotseat01."
I did it like you said. It did not work, my friend did not get any invite from me. Default name of opponent player was _Hotseat01.
That is exactly what I said. The one I did has it in my record as _Hotseat01. I never said your opponent should get an invite. I specifically stated that even if that person is a member here, it will not be related to their account. (This is why I tested it using the name of a friend here, to find out what it did.) It'll be on your account only, you just stick any old name in, whether or not they are a member here. Hotseat means all turns are played "from the same seat," and you switch off taking turns, using the same game screen. If your friend is Joe, you take your turn, then a big message pops up on the screen and says "It is Joe's turn." He takes his turn on that same screen. It does NOT switch to his account because it's not using his account, which is the part you're not understanding. He takes his turn using the same game screen, the same one you just used, then a message pops up saying "It's Efor's turn." Etc. Try actually playing the game so you can see what happens. (Be sure to put a max 2 players on it so it will start.) You could take Joe's turns because it's not his account - it's yours. (Or vice versa.) It's like real life - nothing is enforced and you just have to pay attention to whose turn it is.

Maybe you should do a bit of reading up on what a Hotseat mode is. This site did not originate it, far from it. But you need to understand how it works before you decide it's not working.

Maybe there is some other issue going on, but I don't think it's related to the Hotseat mode. "Play from same IP" is not the same as "Hotseat mode," and I think you're mixing the two.
Efor

Post by Efor »

Liallan wrote:
Efor wrote:
Liallan wrote: I have to wonder if you are misinterpreting how the hotseat works. You're not really inviting him through his account. I just created an invite, did 2 player, used the hotseat mode, and wrote in a friend's name...

In other words, the game was not really with her account, just with her name. The record in my account shows my opponent as "_Hotseat01."
I did it like you said. It did not work, my friend did not get any invite from me. Default name of opponent player was _Hotseat01.
That is exactly what I said. The one I did has it in my record as _Hotseat01. I never said your opponent should get an invite. I specifically stated that even if that person is a member here, it will not be related to their account. (This is why I tested it using the name of a friend here, to find out what it did.) It'll be on your account only, you just stick any old name in, whether or not they are a member here. Hotseat means all turns are played "from the same seat," and you switch off taking turns, using the same game screen. If your friend is Joe, you take your turn, then a big message pops up on the screen and says "It is Joe's turn." He takes his turn on that same screen. It does NOT switch to his account because it's not using his account, which is the part you're not understanding. He takes his turn using the same game screen, the same one you just used, then a message pops up saying "It's Efor's turn." Etc. Try actually playing the game so you can see what happens. (Be sure to put a max 2 players on it so it will start.) You could take Joe's turns because it's not his account - it's yours. (Or vice versa.) It's like real life - nothing is enforced and you just have to pay attention to whose turn it is.

Maybe you should do a bit of reading up on what a Hotseat mode is. This site did not originate it, far from it. But you need to understand how it works before you decide it's not working.

Maybe there is some other issue going on, but I don't think it's related to the Hotseat mode. "Play from same IP" is not the same as "Hotseat mode," and I think you're mixing the two.
Yeah, now i know how it works. I misunderstood the meaning of hotseat mode. Sorry for that. Thanks for your time and patience.
Alchimista93

Post by Alchimista93 »

Could you please fix our problem??? >.<
RobbyD

Post by RobbyD »

I have not tried yet but i did notice a couple "this should be non-premium also" Cmon! This is the most awesome site on internet NOT ONE advertisement so whats wrong with even buying a month premium. I got a year for about $25 USD and I did it out of PRINCIPLE. Every game on here is free and available to play for everyone, though, just as any board game club, someone has to bring the game to the table. How many board games are under $25 other than..monopoly or sorry :? a whole lot of love has been put into this by designers and programmers and translators so you can enjoy playing a game with another human any time day or night. $25 is nothing compared to the labor of programming the simplest game here. I thank everyone who has put their labor of love into this! IF there was any scam involved in using your creditcard to pay for premium because you didnt have skills to offer, this site woud not still be here years later. So from a tech dummy that could build all the pieces, the desk, or built the boiler for your comfortable home but has no idea how to make it digital THANK YOU BGA for more and more options for a few pennies :D
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

Alchimista93 wrote:Could you please fix our problem??? >.<
Your problem is not related to the Hotseat mode. For whatever reason, people are mixing together the "same IP"and "Hotseat" things when they are not related. Hotseat mode is not for playing with another account here.

For anyone who has the "same IP" issue because they have played on the same IP but it's not working now on different IPs, maybe try clearing cookies or something. I don't know how it is keeping that information, but it never hurts to try stuff like that. At the very least, post about it on the thread that's about same IP addresses instead of the one about the Hotseat mode. It sounds like several people are having that issue. They aren't going to "fix" any issue if you're really using the same IP, but if it's keeping settings from the past and you aren't using the same one now, maybe they will be getting that fixed.
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

I have a question. People seem to be using this to just try out games, and apparently having "_Hotseat01" abandon the game somewhere along the way, so Mr. Hotseat is getting a bad reputation. LOL How is this going to affect things?

For instance, what happens if it gets down to 0?
What if someone wants to use the hotseat, but also open a game up to the public, but use restrictions that the hotseat can't fulfill? Or does the hotseat just get past all restrictions? (including elo level)
And any other weird things that could happen that I can't think of...
N_Faker

Post by N_Faker »

Hotseat is directly invited by the table admin, so its reputation(and everything else) will have no impact.
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

N_Faker wrote:Hotseat is directly invited by the table admin, so its reputation(and everything else) will have no impact.
Ah, that makes sense.
sabat24

Post by sabat24 »

People seem to be using this to just try out games
Yes and this is why hotseat in premium games should also be available. Right now I can't test for example carcassone with my friend and I'm not going to play with someone online if I don't know rules.
They aren't going to "fix" any issue if you're really using the same IP,
The problem isn't same IP, but this system doesn't allow to play people together from different continents because of this bug.
How many board games are under $25 other than..monopoly or sorry
It may surprises you but not everyone in the world lives in US. And for example almost every game presented here costs less than $25 in my country.
I'm not saying that paying to BGA for their work is something wrong, but for 3 weeks there are 20 people who can't play because system says that you share IP with someone else, which isn't true. I have reported bug (other people also), I e-mailed them twice and even asked for help on FB. The sound of silence is not what I'd like to hear from support. And what is their suggestion how to avoid the problem: pay us, because it's a bug and we don't care.
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

sabat24 wrote:
People seem to be using this to just try out games
Yes and this is why hotseat in premium games should also be available. Right now I can't test for example carcassone with my friend and I'm not going to play with someone online if I don't know rules.
I have to disagree with this, or at least if they did this, it should be limited to only 1-2 games just for learning them. Since you can't make an invite anyway, I'm not sure why you should be able to make one just because you use Hotseat mode.

And right now they seem to have bigger issues. I'm not sure what's going on with this thing, but as of right now I can no longer just make up a name and have to use someone from my friend list, I don't know why. They're messing with it and not sure what they're up to.

They aren't going to "fix" any issue if you're really using the same IP,
The problem isn't same IP, but this system doesn't allow to play people together from different continents because of this bug.
Don't mix up people who really are playing from the same IP and people who are victims of that bug. I was talking to those who really are playing from the same IP, and saying "if you're really using the same IP" should make that obvious. You're mixing issues.

How many board games are under $25 other than..monopoly or sorry
It may surprises you but not everyone in the world lives in US.
While you're requesting someone to not assume everyone lives in the U.S., how about if you don't assume that everyone in the U.S. can afford anything they want. Where do people get such a silly idea? Nice stereotype. (Even worse when people in the U.S. believe the stereotype.)

And for example almost every game presented here costs less than $25 in my country.
I'm not saying that paying to BGA for their work is something wrong, but for 3 weeks there are 20 people who can't play because system says that you share IP with someone else, which isn't true. I have reported bug (other people also), I e-mailed them twice and even asked for help on FB. The sound of silence is not what I'd like to hear from support. And what is their suggestion how to avoid the problem: pay us, because it's a bug and we don't care.
While I agree it hasn't been fun just waiting to see what happens (although I only had that happen on one game invite), they may not even have duplicated that bug yet. Dealing with bugs is a process. It would definitely be nice to get an acknowledgement that some of us have experienced a bug (but this isn't the appropriate thread for it), but I do not believe for a minute that they're expecting people to solve the bug issue by becoming a member. Originally that bug was being reported on the threads by people who had actually played at the same IP, indicating that information was being stored and not being dealt with properly. It was only a few days ago that we started realizing there really is a bug for people who are nowhere near each other and never have been, so I don't think they have had time to deal with that yet.

Are you really believing that all the people complaining about the same-IP premium issue are just having bugs and the site wants them to pay to fix the bug? Cause that's what you're saying.

Return to “Official announcements [en]”