Hotseat mode (BETA)

Board Game Arena Official announcements
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Re: Hotseat mode (BETA)

Post by sourisdudesert »

Hi,

Just to inform you that the bug that was incorrectly displaying "playing from the same location" error is fixed now.

The bug used to occur when the table administrator was inviting someone from the same location. The next player to join the table was having the error, while he/she shouldn't have.
sabat24

Post by sabat24 »

Liallan wrote:
sabat24 wrote:
People seem to be using this to just try out games
Yes and this is why hotseat in premium games should also be available. Right now I can't test for example carcassone with my friend and I'm not going to play with someone online if I don't know rules.
I have to disagree with this, or at least if they did this, it should be limited to only 1-2 games just for learning them. Since you can't make an invite anyway, I'm not sure why you should be able to make one just because you use Hotseat mode.
The problem isn't invitating someone, because you are not playing with people who have got account here. I can't create a table for premium games. Before premium I was able to create private game, turn off ELO, invite one of my friend and learn rules. I mostly use this site to check board games which I will like and then decide which I'd like to play for real. So my point is to bring back this possibility, which can be done only using hotseat option. It should be able to play even with limitation for 2 players or with AI if it's possible. However I think it's not so common that someone will learn on their own, and you can pay for premium for that. It would be nice to train for free but it's not a big issue.
How many board games are under $25 other than..monopoly or sorry
It may surprises you but not everyone in the world lives in US.
While you're requesting someone to not assume everyone lives in the U.S., how about if you don't assume that everyone in the U.S. can afford anything they want. Where do people get such a silly idea? Nice stereotype. (Even worse when people in the U.S. believe the stereotype.)
It was just counter-argument for his thesis. It's a common thesis for many people living in GB, US and western Europe using Euro as their currency, because most world wide games publishers is targeting prices on them. Due to currency rate and differences in the national average income they commonly use this argument over internet saying that price isn't high and you can't buy something.
Are you really believing that all the people complaining about the same-IP premium issue are just having bugs and the site wants them to pay to fix the bug? Cause that's what you're saying.
No, I'm saying about lack of support or his weirdness. First bugs was reported almost 3 weeks ago. When I checked them 5 days ago there were still status "not confirmed" with no information from support. I'm saying that if someone create issue or send e-mail, it would be nice to get response like: 'we received your information and we will check it' or 'we are aware of problem and someone will try to fix it soon'. Instead of that there were silence. Paying for same IP it's ok, unless it works. The problem is that it doesn't work, last fix wasn't resolve my problem and I feel like I'm in court that convinced me already and now I have to provide my innocence -> https://pl.boardgamearena.com/#!bug?id=8597
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Post by sourisdudesert »

As explained to you by email, you are playing from the same location (even from different IP), so the algorithm do his job and there is no bug.
sabat24

Post by sabat24 »

Well my girlfriend lives in Gdańsk, and I work in Kraków. It's 600km. So what do you mean by same location? We plays sometime from the same location - we sits near each other, but we still have got different IP. Another time we are far away from each other and we can't play? So what is definition of the same location? I explained in e-mail that we use mobile internet, which means that you can use it wherever you are in the world. That's the point of mobile internets. One time she logged from mobile internet, one time I logged from mobile internet and you save these IP, connected accounts and block forever. I found a way to pass through your restriction: proxy or VPN isn't problem, but what's the point? A just wanted to play with her normally and you are saying that it works correctly = it blocks us even if we have got different IPs and in different places.
Last edited by sabat24 on 20 November 2017, 12:49, edited 1 time in total.
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Post by sourisdudesert »

Hi,

I cannot explain how our algorithm is working to detects "same location", but as long as you played from different location (and do not use mobile internet) this is fine. And no sorry we do not block players "forever" when they once played from the same IP, this is more complex than that.
sabat24

Post by sabat24 »

It was only my guess what are you doing and I don't want to know your secrets. I just want to play.
Well the problem is that we use mobile internet, so we can't play because of that? Maybe it's more complex, but what you are saying is that you won't change anything in your algorithm and we should change our internet connections or buy premium. As I said I found a solution and I'm able to play with her regardless of your algorithm, but I thought that we could at least agree that is an issue and try to resolve problem.
It's sad.
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

You're fully admitting in your bug report that one of you is switching to the mobile internet in order to have the other IP, i.e. essentially just working around this. You've also stated sometimes you use the mobile and sometimes she does, hence, you seem to both be using the same thing, at least sometimes. This isn't about my opinion on the whole same-IP thing (since there's a thread on that here: https://en.boardgamearena.com/#!forum/v ... =3&t=12078), but rather about the fact that it sounds a bit like you're mad at the site for forcing you to have to work around the fact that you actually have been playing in the same location and using the same mobile internet.

I could totally understand if you played at the same location once (or on rare occasions) and have been having trouble ever since because of it, but it sounds like this is a sometimes on and sometimes off sort of thing. If it is tracking how often you're at the same location/IP vs not, and how long it's been since you've done that, maybe you're doing it too much and the algorithm doesn't like it.
sabat24

Post by sabat24 »

I could totally understand if you played at the same location once (or on rare occasions) and have been having trouble ever since because of it
I wasn't here over a year and then there were no such issues. I haven't found definition of "same location" so how should I know what does it mean? We play sometimes from cable IP when we are together, sometimes from mobile IP when we are together and sometimes each other plays from different IP when we are together and sometimes we play from different IP when we aren't together. Saying that we can't play when we are 600km far away is ok, because we are in the same location doesn't make sense.
However my goal was to help BGA improve their algorithm, because in my opinion it's not working all the time well. But they think that everything is ok. I can play with her regardless of our location, so I don't need any change or further help or any other reaction.
it sounds a bit like you're mad at the site for forcing you to have to work around the fact that you actually have been playing in the same location and using the same mobile internet
To be clear: I can play from the same location - it's not a problem to work around. It doesn't mean that I'll do it, but I did when they block us and it worked. I was mad because of completely lack of support or saying that everything is ok when it isn't. We used two providers because it was comfortable for us.

As you wrote:
It sounds like the problem is because they have at some point played using the same IP, I would assume because one of them was at the other one's house. If that is kept on record, it may be designating these two as being at the same IP, even though they are not. It seems like that could be re-set or something.
And yes. That's the problem I'm talking about. But what I get? Well you are cheater, our algorithm works good. You have to play from same location. We can't be wrong.
camlost

Post by camlost »

I’m not following why we can’t play from the same house on different devices. My wife and I play on either our iPads or laptops at home. Seems unfair to penalize people who live together and want to play games.

That being said, if we have to have premium in order to play now, do we both need premium, or just one of us?
NuoNuo

Post by NuoNuo »

When playing Saboteur,I can only join 9 hotseat player,then continue joining hot seat player always cause errors.
so,I only can play 10 players game Saboteur, if no any other player(from another computer) joins.
Can't play 12 players Saboteur game with one computer.
But the maximum number of Saboteur is 12,when using expansion.
Please fix it,thanks.

Return to “Official announcements [en]”