Show my cursor + Switch to Turn-based

Board Game Arena Official announcements
somefish

Re: Show my cursor + Switch to Turn-based

Post by somefish »

I'm very happy about the Show My Cursor feature. Thank you!
MariuszSzef

Post by MariuszSzef »

great idea!
Forthemoves

Post by Forthemoves »

Great features, especially the switching.
senatorhung

Post by senatorhung »

nice changes !
Pelleseren

Post by Pelleseren »

Great community thinking behind both of these ideas!
CB Droege

Post by CB Droege »

Who gets to choose how/when it goes to TB mode? Is there a vote? Does the host have control? does it have to be unanimous?
Victoria_La

Post by Victoria_La »

Switch to turn based is awesome! I never start long real time game because I am always afraid I cannot finish it, but this would make it possible!
Is there a warning I can put up when creating table, i.e. "I have limited time, I may need to switch it turn based"
N_Faker

Post by N_Faker »

Victoria_La wrote:Is there a warning I can put up when creating table, i.e. "I have limited time, I may need to switch it turn based"
(no presentation yet) [modify]

^This is located at the bottom of the table options, within the same section^

If you click [modify] you can add a message for that specific table, it will be visible in lobby view. Though... most may overlook it (including me).
nanell

Post by nanell »

Both are awesome features. The cursor will be helpful when I am teaching a game.
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

Since the cursor thing works in turn-based as well, it gave me a chance to see what it was like "on my own time." Sorry to say I'm not impressed with it.

*There's a lag, so the general tendency is to see the move starting before the finger makes it there, somewhat defeating the purpose.

*It sometimes just drops down a few inches suddenly.

*It's very distracting. I tried to just take a turn and ignore it, so that I could get a good feel for what it's really doing, but was just distracted by it and don't think I was even making normal movements. Once my turns were done, the finger stayed, which tells me it's showing no matter who is on turn. If 4 people have these things on, I imagine that would get seriously distracting. (At a minimum, it ought to hide when you're not on turn.)

*It's moving around when you're hovering over cards and such - if this is supposed to imitate real life, no one is ever going to see you "hovering over your hand." Plus you could move the cursor to all sorts of places, like I was using it to count spaces in Hypnosia, hovering over opponent's stuff, even using it as a pointer for myself to look at other various things on the screen (like scores or whatever), scrolled down to look at Option settings once, etc. This combined with being distracting to begin with, is even more distracting. What if players are trying to look at things when they are not on turn? (Again, it ought to hide when not on turn.)

*I don't see this as working like real life at all. Some of the movement probably doesn't happen on other types of devices, but for anyone who uses a mouse, and has been using one for years, it's probably somewhat habit to use it as a pointer for yourself. And things like the hovering issue certainly does not mirror real life play.

All that said, I'm not using the browser I normally would cause I'm having some troubles. I'm hoping once I finish up all my games I can solve this issue. But even if the lag doesn't exist on my other browser, most of those issues are not browser-specific.

Curious idea, but in my opinion doesn't work well. Though I could see the point for teaching purposes - in fact, I think it would come in very handy for that.

Return to “Official announcements [en]”