Web & mobile notifications

Board Game Arena Official announcements
Een

Web & mobile notifications

Post by Een »

Hear hear! There is a new notifications system on BGA!

Previously for turn-based you had to subscribe to emails or to come check if something happened on your favorite boardgaming website... ;) Or when playing real-time, if at some point you went to check another website to look for Christmas gifts while waiting for your turn with the sound off, you could miss your turn! That was quite annoying, wasn't it?

Now we have the solution! You can subscribe to web notifications. Then you'll get notified immediately either on your mobile phone or when using your browser (even if you are not currently browsing Board Game Arena)!

Important note: this functionality is currently unavailable on iPhones/iPads as it has unfortunately not been implemented yet by Apple in iOS (but there may be some hope for the future).

So what can you be notified about?
  • It's your turn to play either in real-time or turn-based (and you do not have the page for this table currently open and active in your browser).
  • A new player joins a table you are currently waiting at (so if you are the admin, it may be the right time to start it!) or has just left.
  • A table you are playing at starts or finishes.
  • BGA has released a news headline (like this one).
Now isn't that wonderful? If you like this, you just need to go to your account preferences in the "Notifications" section and activate the functionnality. Then your browser will ask you to confirm your authorization: say yes! Then if you want to get notifications also in another browser, just go to Preferences -> Notifications again with that browser and you'll get prompted for authorization: say yes again, and done!

Here is an example of what you can get on your mobile device with this functionality: enjoy!

LucianObi

Re: Web & mobile notifications

Post by LucianObi »

Fantastici questi costanti miglioramenti!
bamf226

Post by bamf226 »

Does this turn off email notifications automatically?
fews

Post by fews »

There is a notification system for websites in Safari for Mac.
I would be very happy if you could also include that into the BGA notification system.
For now, my BGA preferences tell me that my browser (not mobile) is not supported.
Is there a chance for notifications on regular safari?
Thanks a lot!
Een

Post by Een »

bamf226 wrote:Does this turn off email notifications automatically?
No, because of course you might want both, either one, or none.
Een

Post by Een »

fews wrote:There is a notification system for websites in Safari for Mac.
I would be very happy if you could also include that into the BGA notification system.
For now, my BGA preferences tell me that my browser (not mobile) is not supported.
Thanks a lot!
Well, we haven't specifically excluded Safari. We just test to see if the necessary objects for notifications are available in the browser. If the preference page says the browser is not supported, it's that one of these objects is missing (or not standard). I'll take a look when I get the chance, but Safari is the new Internet Explorer 6 these days if you get my meaning.

Do Chrome/Firefox on Mac work for notifications?
MrKris

Post by MrKris »

Another great update. Thanks for all the hard work!
Himmelstosh

Post by Himmelstosh »

Great update, atleast i can clean my mailbox :D Good job guys, you are on right way ;)
fews

Post by fews »

Een wrote:
fews wrote:There is a notification system for websites in Safari for Mac.
Thanks a lot!
Well, we haven't specifically excluded Safari. We just test to see if the necessary objects for notifications are available in the browser. If the preference page says the browser is not supported, it's that one of these objects is missing (or not standard). I'll take a look when I get the chance, but Safari is the new Internet Explorer 6 these days if you get my meaning.

Do Chrome/Firefox on Mac work for notifications?
I am definitely no expert on IE6.
It seems to me that there is a special system for notifications on macOS
and the push notifications are designed for Safari
(https://developer.apple.com/notificatio ... fications/)
Anyway, I would be happy if this system could be included to the BGA page.
Best wishes,
Fabian
Krivens

Post by Krivens »

Een wrote: Do Chrome/Firefox on Mac work for notifications?
They do for me -- at least so far.
fews wrote: Anyway, I would be happy if this system could be included to the BGA page.
This would make me happy too. Safari is my standard browser on the Mac. iOS would also be very useful. You could consider Growl, but not too many people are savvy to that.

Return to “Official announcements [en]”