Web & mobile notifications

Board Game Arena Official announcements
Een

Re: Web & mobile notifications

Post by Een »

Krivens wrote:
Een wrote: Do Chrome/Firefox on Mac work for notifications?
They do for me -- at least so far.
Thanks for the feedback! I thought so, but it's good to know.
Krivens wrote:
fews wrote: Anyway, I would be happy if this system could be included to the BGA page.
This would make me happy too. Safari is my standard browser on the Mac. iOS would also be very useful.
Well, iOS is not possible at the moment, Apple didn't implement push notifications yet.
Safari on the Mac seems possible from the link provided by fews, but not the standard way. So this would mean an unquantified extra effort. I'll look at the statistics to check if a lot of players use Safari to see if it's worth the time investment.
jlfcco

Post by jlfcco »

First of all, BGA crew, thank you all for this amazing online board game platform and its continuous (technological) developments.

I'm myself also an enthusiastic Apple user and frequent user of BGA (even a premium member since a short while). I prefer to use Safari, because of its neat synchronization with the iPhone. But also because I dislike Chrome's power consumption, (lack of) memory management and Google's privacy policy.

Because of this I did some research, with my limited technical knowledge, in the hope that it helps you guys somehow.

Firstly, I don't know how the BGA notification systems works but the main thing Safari seems to be missing is the Push API: http://caniuse.com/#feat=push-api.

Secondly, Apple claims that, in addition to their 'own' way, Safari does support the 'standard' javascript way of implementing web notifications (Source):
(A side note to the latter method is that: 'Because local notifications are controlled entirely by JavaScript, the user must have your website open in a Safari window (or tab) for your notification to appear. Safari can be minimized or hidden, or your website could be loaded in an inactive tab, but it must be open to run the JavaScript that creates the notification.' (Source)

I also found that there exists a elaborated guide for combining the Safari Push notification system (so Apples Notification system, not the javascript/w3c way) and other browsers' notification implementation: https://lahiiru.github.io/browser-push/
Een

Post by Een »

jlfcco wrote: Because of this I did some research, with my limited technical knowledge, in the hope that it helps you guys somehow.
Thanks! That's proactive :)
jlfcco wrote:Firstly, I don't know how the BGA notification systems works but the main thing Safari seems to be missing is the Push API: http://caniuse.com/#feat=push-api.
Yes.
jlfcco wrote:Secondly, Apple claims that, in addition to their 'own' way, Safari does support the 'standard' javascript way of implementing web notifications (Source):
(A side note to the latter method is that: 'Because local notifications are controlled entirely by JavaScript, the user must have your website open in a Safari window (or tab) for your notification to appear. Safari can be minimized or hidden, or your website could be loaded in an inactive tab, but it must be open to run the JavaScript that creates the notification.' (Source)
Yes, but standard javascript notifications don't allow for the core interest of the functionality (as explained in the side note you quoted) that is to display a notification even if the website is not currently open/active.
jlfcco wrote:I also found that there exists a elaborated guide for combining the Safari Push notification system (so Apples Notification system, not the javascript/w3c way) and other browsers' notification implementation: https://lahiiru.github.io/browser-push/
Thanks. I'll take a look, but I checked and Safari on the Mac represents only 3% of the browsers used to play on BGA. So it would have to be really simple to be worth doing.
jrr

Post by jrr »

This is literally the only site I've ever wanted desktop notifications for. Glad to see it now implemented.
dog_white

Post by dog_white »

У меня телефон xiaomi на нём браузер есть. Not chrom. Уведомления в этом родном браузере как поставить?!
Tamora

Post by Tamora »

This is great! Thank you!
shogi4fun

Post by shogi4fun »

Hi,

my opinion is still, that using messenger whould be the better way, also an up-to-date feature, almost everyone uses (but majority uses WhatsApp). :mrgreen:
Using Telegram, you'll get your messages on your phone (and yes, also iPhones/iPads are on board :D ), also on your desktop computer.

Long time ago I've written this post: viewtopic.php?f=9&p=28185
More than 400 readers, but nobody answered.
And I guess, if noone is writing "yes, I like this feature", it wouldn't become reality.

Maybe now (almost 3 years later), the time is ready for Telegram messenger :?: :?: :?:

BR,
BCM
dudi2

Post by dudi2 »

Jesdebel wrote:[*] Can we eliminate the notification on my wall regarding the end of game? I choose to watch, I know the game ended.. why does it notify me. I understand the need for a notification if I had chosen to leave the table.. but why give a choice if you’re going to tell me regardless?
What about separating to two separate settings for begin and end of a game?
rpxcv

Post by rpxcv »

For me, firefox mobile notifications don't work. Can anyone help me?
Een

Post by Een »

primiericcardo wrote:For me, firefox mobile notifications don't work. Can anyone help me?
Checked it out, and it works on Firefox desktop but indeed not on Firefox mobile. The endpoint from Mozilla where we must send the notification is immediately expired for whatever reason. Not sure if we can do something about it, it looks more like a problem in Firefox mobile itself.

Return to “Official announcements [en]”