Bigger avatars

Board Game Arena Official announcements
souly4

Re: Bigger avatars

Post by souly4 »

sourisdudesert wrote:
souly4 wrote:But: in contrast I don't think I can befriend with the 'anonymous' avatars (the meeples on grey background).
They are ugly by design, so you are incited to change it :)
Well okay but I guess as admins you have the responsibility to think further and include the total community and make the site appealing to as many people as possible or at least leave them the opportunity to change something that's not in their favor. In this case you even give in these pics are ugly, but expect everyone to see them on tables which consist of players with this default avatar (meaning almost all tables...). Honestly for me it's a huge turnoff because I'm quite a visual type.
vigorousRoll

Post by vigorousRoll »

My avatar is diamond shaped and before I submitted it, I took the trouble to do some coloring around the edges so that it would blend seamlessly into the "BGA woodwork" (a light tan color). Now there's an ugly blue circle around my avatar that ruins the effect. If we could lose that blue circle, or paint it the same tan of the woodwork; then i would go back to being content as before.

But for now, I'm cringing every time I load one of these newly-styled game pages.
Traumwanderer77

Post by Traumwanderer77 »

I do not think we need an Avatar with a German tank of 2nd world war, do we?
Alexar12

Post by Alexar12 »

Now the pictures uploaded without background, appear with a black background.

I don't like it :( .
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Post by sourisdudesert »

Alexar12 wrote:Now the pictures uploaded without background, appear with a black background.
vigorousRoll wrote:Now there's an ugly blue circle around my avatar that ruins the effect.
We are totally aware that some of you manage to use the old avatar format to do nice stuff. The thing is: the vast majority of BGA players did not. They didn't even change their default profile image. So we have to change and evolve.

I'm pretty confident that you'll find another nice picture for your profile, like you did with the previous system, and I'm pretty sure that the result will be superior given the greater image.
SchaufelElch

Post by SchaufelElch »

Bigger Avatars is ok. But why do they need to be round???

Mine just lost its antler
souly4

Post by souly4 »

Hm, it seems sometimes you admins like to ignore certain posts that contain arguments that don't please you. So I request a short reply to my last post at least ;)

I am sure many people dislike the new anonymous avatar but only few will communicate it here; for me it would be enough reason to heavily decrease my usage of this site, so I encourage you to take into account my proposition (implementing an option to let users change this pic in accordance to their taste). I am totally aware many players dont care a bit about these visual things, so it doesn't harm them, but all the others who do. Which means you somehow want users to value the visuals more, but at the same time you don't (because this new pic could be largely perceived as ugly and hold people off from looking at tables or joining them). That's a bit like asking a population to become more sensitive towards violence and evolve in their own behavior while forcing them to accept the crimes committed by others... So in my view rather paradoxical and not too progressive, which is your actual intention according to your last post. If you don't want to lose long term users or acquire more of them respectively, maybe it would be worthwhile to ponder about including the community (for example via polls) in such major changes which cant be reversed (like the sound effects recently). In this case here installing the 'change default avatar' option shouldn't be a big deal, and the reward is that perhaps every interested user has a picture that he prefers over it and can substitute it with little effort.
SerBaldur

Post by SerBaldur »

new larger avatars look nice, and i have no other comment! :)
SchaufelElch

Post by SchaufelElch »

Wow, such a great idea to use the same logo/image for

* A player
* An invited player
* No player

Liallan

Post by Liallan »

sourisdudesert wrote:
souly4 wrote:But: in contrast I don't think I can befriend with the 'anonymous' avatars (the meeples on grey background).
They are ugly by design, so you are incited to change it :)
WHY?? The shield thing looked fine. What difference does it make to you whether I pick a different avatar and use it? How can this make any possible difference to you, and why would you want to "encourage-force" this on people? I'm not changing mine.

I also have to agree with the issue of making them a circle. That cuts off what people have tried to do with their avatars, and for no really good reason at all. And in "recent activity" on people's profile pages, even the game pictures are now circles, making it difficult to tell what they even are. But the over-big ones in the forum are a bit obnoxious.

Return to “Official announcements [en]”