Hive android app with BGA inside

Board Game Arena Official announcements
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Hive android app with BGA inside

Post by sourisdudesert »

A lot of you regularly ask us if Board Game Arena is going to publish an application for tablet or mobile in the future. Well, we still do not know if this would be good or bad for BGA, but we would like to explore something in this area so here it is: the Hive application for Android developped by Jean-Baptiste Chaubet is now connected to Board Game Arena for online play!

This app has everything that you can expect from an app: local play, a (strong) AI, a tutorial, and of course an interface that has been designed for mobile.

But the great thing compared to other apps you can find on mobile devices is that the Online Play mode is connected to Board Game Arena. It means that you can play Hive online from the app against someone playing on BGA (or the opposite). And this is very good both for BGA and for the app, because of course in this way there are more players available on both sides :)

This integration between the Hive app and BGA has been realized by the Hive app developer Jean-Baptiste Chaubet: we'd like to thank him for this great opportunity to see how it feels to play online on BGA from an app! :)

To install Hive for android, follow this link.

This is the first time that the BGA online play functionnality is embedded inside an app, and everything is probably not perfect, however we really would like to have your feedback on all of this :)

Note: for now the Hive app does not support the Facebook/Google login buttons. If you want to use your BGA account for this app, you may have to dissociate Facebook/Google from your account on the Preferences / Account page in order to get a password associated to your email that you can use on the app (and then, you can associate your account again to Facebook/Google if you want, the password will stay valid).
bughouse

Re: Hive android app with BGA inside

Post by bughouse »

I've been using the app for months and it is awesome and the updates keep improving it. :D
biiefarii

Post by biiefarii »

Is there a way to get the app on the app store for iOS?

By the way, I'm looking for the BGA app on the same store but there isn't... Are you planning to publish BGA app on the app store for iOS as well?
JCase16

Post by JCase16 »

Wait, you can unlink your google/facebook login from an account without affecting your current account history and then link it to a traditional login?
Tintoretto

Post by Tintoretto »

Sounds good. Is there any plan to do the same with the steam version?
Regards,
Simy
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Post by sourisdudesert »

biiefarii wrote:Is there a way to get the app on the app store for iOS?
Tintoretto wrote:Sounds good. Is there any plan to do the same with the steam version?
The purpose of this partnership is to see how it goes. So depending how it goes we will make BGA powered app on more platforms... or not :)
JCase16 wrote:Wait, you can unlink your google/facebook login from an account without affecting your current account history and then link it to a traditional login?
Yes, from Preferences / Account.
Andarus

Post by Andarus »

annoying to do it in such a one sided way (android and not ios).
Tamzin

Post by Tamzin »

Pretty serious bug here: If your opponent proposes a draw, and you click anywhere other than the notification box, the box disappears, but it doesn't go through as an accept or a decline.

It happened to me, and I figured it must have just counted as a decline, since it was saying "White's turn." (I was playing as black.) But after a minute or so I got suspicious, and I opened up the game on my laptop, and saw that I still needed to accept or decline. I was 17 seconds away from running out of time, too. (And the lack of a timer on the app is a pretty big problem too...)

I'll go report this on the app too, but thought I'd mention it here.
Jewdoka

Post by Jewdoka »

Nice work jbchaubet!!
Cherry_90

Post by Cherry_90 »

Got it :) - I love this app. Makes so much fun.

Return to “Official announcements [en]”