New lobby update (Sept 17th)

Board Game Arena Official announcements
Incentive

Re: New lobby update (Sept 17th)

Post by Incentive » 17 September 2019, 23:42

Thanks for improving the lobby. I plan to always select "See all available tables". Is there a way for the site to remember my selection and keep it that way? This will save me having to click "See all available tables" every time. This applies to both real-time and turn-based. Thanks!

chaos_66

Post by chaos_66 » 18 September 2019, 01:15

Thanks for doing these updates following the updates! :-) It is clear you listened to your users!

windie_terry

Post by windie_terry » 18 September 2019, 01:21

Thanks to have player invite and see all table functions
Thanks for the further update~

But one more point to add,
when I would change to small icon,
can all the game icon be changed into small once instead of separating into blocks, and also for the game suggestions to me?

DrFriendless

Post by DrFriendless » 18 September 2019, 03:36

Hi, thank you for listening to feedback. I am a software developer myself, and I welcome negative feedback because it tells me what needs to be improved on the site. The customer is always right unless they're a f***ing idiot :-).

One of the weaknesses with the site from my perspective is that page loads are very slow. This is probably because I am in Australia, but I can't help that. So I would prefer if the game creation process were designed to minimise page loads - each page is maybe 3-5 second delay for me. My steps to create a game are:

* go to Games (page load) - this page seems a bit disorganised as the games are in categories which don't really relate to how I choose to play them, so I have to do a bit of scrolling to find the right game
* go to 7 Wonders page (page load) - just click Play This Game Now, I don't care about the rest of the page
* arrive at Game Lobby (page load)
- click Play With Friends
- click Invite a Friend - one of the people I want is there, so I add him
- click Invite a Friend - See More
* arrive at Friends page (page load) - what happened to the game I was creating? My friends are in a random order so it's hard to find one from 40 or however many I have.

In fact so far, if I want to invite someone other than the 8 in the list, I have no idea how to. I have to do 4 page loads, search for the game, search the list to see if the friends I want to play with are there... and in the old days I would have to type their name into the combo box to get them to appear.

Amongst my friends, we usually play rematches because creating a game takes too much effort. Also you might forget to restrict table access and end up playing against an American and a Hungarian so the game takes a day per move.

When I used to play on yucata.de, I had a list of all of my friends in the sidebar. When I created a new game, I could click on them one after another to add them to the invitation list. It was very efficient. It wasn't as pretty as yours, but it was much more effective.

Please accept this as constructive feedback! There are many things wrong with the sites I develop, and I just keep working through the issues to make the best sites I can, so I know it can be a hard slog. Thank you for your efforts.

schoolio

Post by schoolio » 18 September 2019, 05:56

Thanks for listening! I think the new lobby, with the old features added back is great!

Jer3my

Post by Jer3my » 18 September 2019, 06:58

As always, thanks for all your hard to continuing to make the site better and better. You guys are amazing! Well done!

RomeoRaj

Post by RomeoRaj » 18 September 2019, 07:42

Hello
Firstly, I really liked the new lobby from day one. Any new feature was bound to have some bugs and you guys have done a great work fixing everything you could find. Keep up the good work.

Secondly,

Code: Select all

All available tables (non-favorite games)
section is also showing games that are in my favorite list. Is this intentional or a bug?
I, personally would have liked it if this section was only for non-favorite games, but I'm happy either way.

Again, great work.

laiayo

Post by laiayo » 18 September 2019, 09:25

I like the new options like grouping tables by games, this and possibility to join several tables are the main improvements for me, good job with all the lobby transition

sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Post by sourisdudesert » 18 September 2019, 09:54

Thank you everyone for your comments :)
RicardoRix wrote:
17 September 2019, 18:53
I use the 'show all tables' link and then the order of the create tables seems to always be by popularity, rather than by name as the icon list is displayed.
This is going to be fixed soon.

RomeoRaj wrote:
18 September 2019, 07:42
All available tables (non-favorite games)
section is also showing games that are in my favorite list. Is this intentional or a bug?
This is not intentional so this may be a bug. I'm going to check this.

DrFriendless wrote:
18 September 2019, 03:36
page loads are very slow. This is probably because I am in Australia,
BGA has 3 servers in Australia (Sydney, Perth and Melbourne) for the most "heavy" content (ex: images). Of course, a lot of requests need to travel to our main servers in Europe, but the website should be fast anyway.

DrFriendless wrote:
18 September 2019, 03:36
My steps to create a game are:
Just a suggestion: add 7 Wonders to your favorites, this way it is directly on the lobby and you don't have to go on "Games" section.

Concerning the part with the "Invite friends": I agree there are a lot of improvements to do here. The good news is that we are working on this part right now, so it should be improved soon.

Incentive wrote:
17 September 2019, 23:42
Is there a way for the site to remember my selection and keep it that way?
If you come back to BGA using the same web browser, it's going to display the lobby with the same exact view the next time. So yes it "remembers" your selection :)

Respublik

Post by Respublik » 18 September 2019, 18:05

Could it be done that ejecting me from other tables would happen only if game starts, rather then when game launches like now? It's stupid to be gone from the table if game actually doesn't start for some reason, especially if you created it and already attracted other players.

Also probably not something that you could implement right now with all that you have on your mind, but in the future would it be possible to make few available table rules templates for quick launching a table (for same game) instead of current single one?

Return to “Official announcements [en]”