Circle of Life & Tock

Board Game Arena Official announcements
Een

Circle of Life & Tock

Post by Een »

We are happy today to present you with not just one, but two abstract games involving hexagonal pieces! Circle of Life, a game from Nick Bentley, and Tock, a classic from the public domain, are now available online on Board Game Arena.

Play Circle of Life now!

Those of you who played Blooms, a sleek and deep abstract reminiscent of Go, will immediately recognise the Zen aesthetics and taste for a minimalistic but efficient rule set from Nick Bentley.

In Circle of Life, on your turn you have to set one stone of your colour on the board. Then if that stone creates a species pattern that is in contact with one of your opponent species following it immediately in the food chain (which is displayed as a circle around the board), the other species is immediately devoured! You win either by eating 20 of your opponent's stones, or if you can't play any more (which means that you managed to fill up the whole ecosystem with your species). Really simple, yes? But so many choices and possibilities!

A big thank you to the game designer Nick Bentley (El Poopo), and to the software developer Adam Novotny (A-dam) for bringing this brand new game to the BGA community!

Play Tock now!

Tock is a classic game that is believed to have originated with the early settlers of Quebec, Canada. It is similar to Ludo, but no dice here! You'll get cards, and move your tokens around the board by choosing which card to spend.

This makes the game much less luck based and much more challenging and interesting. The different cards allow for distinct special functions beyond just moving forward, and you'll have to make the best out of each new hand you are dealt in order to be the first to circle the board with all your tokens and win the race.

And for some extra challenge, you can even play in teams!

For this game, our thanks go to the software developer Jean Portemer (Woodruff) who after Innovation and French Tarot, got interested in Tock and created an adaptation using BGA studio to allow everyone to enjoy it online!

Andarus

Re: Circle of Life & Tock

Post by Andarus »

Both of these games are, in their own way, fun and completely engaging. Thanks BGA!
Arnetto

Post by Arnetto »

Played and miraculously won my first game of CoL yesterday (by one point in a clutch comeback, thanks to some beginner's luck). This game is ingenious in its capacity to simulate a predator/prey theme with such an elegantly simple abstract mechanism. I absolutely loved it. Fun to play as a beginner and looks like it could get enjoyably complex for those serious strategic thinkers. Glad this is in the library -- thanks so much for adapting it to BGA.
Wentu

Post by Wentu »

Wow, thank you!, I was sooo very curious to try Circle of Life and... here it is!! great!
failedatquittingBGA

Post by failedatquittingBGA »

I am enjoying both games, but I've been having trouble with Toc on mobile. It does not zoom properly in Google Chrome for IOS. I created a bug here that shows a screenshot of the issue:

https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=13730
Iongler

Post by Iongler »

Thank you for implementing CoL, can we get Bug as well please? It's also designed by Nick.
El Poopo

Post by El Poopo »

@Iongler - Nick Bentley here. I hope to implement Bug here as well. It's harder to program than Blooms and CoL, and that's why it hasn't happened yet.
DrKarotte

Post by DrKarotte »

Great additions :D

Both game names are not displayed correctly (lower case, no spaces, "_displayed" added on the tournament site)...
EllieK

Post by EllieK »

Both games are excellent. Circle of Life is an unexpected gem.

Thanks BGA.
Een

Post by Een »

DrKarotte wrote: 20 October 2019, 17:24 Great additions :D

Both game names are not displayed correctly (lower case, no spaces, "_displayed" added on the tournament site)...
Thanks for reporting this, the translations update process was blocked. It's fixed now.

Return to “Official announcements [en]”