Invite your friends (and get Premium for free!)

Board Game Arena Official announcements
DoctorPelusa

Re: Invite your friends (and get Premium for free!)

Post by DoctorPelusa »

Een wrote: 25 March 2020, 19:51 The daily process is just to give points. If your friends used correctly the link, they should appear on your sponsorship page https://boardgamearena.com/sponsorship

If they are not there, you have a few days to tell them to use the link again while connected, and then they will be linked to your account.
That worked, thanks a lot!
Fintch

Post by Fintch »

Een wrote: 26 March 2020, 13:50
Fintch wrote: 26 March 2020, 11:57 Per invitare degli amici basta usare un solo link o devo inviarne uno diverso a ciascuno? Io ho inviato il link a quattro amici ma solo uno mi risulata negli sposnorizzati, eppure tutti e quattro si sono iscirtti con successo.
Please write in English, my Italian is not so good :)

There is only one sponsorship link, that you can send to all your friends. If they didn't use the link (for example if they saw your message, then went to google to find bga instead of using your link) they won't be in your list of sponsored players.

If this happens, you have some days to ask them to click on the link again while being connected to board game arena. Then they will be added to your sponsored players.

Hope it helps!
Ah ok, next time English :) . Problem solved, thank you
Rolling Wonder

Post by Rolling Wonder »

Can you put the link to the sponsorship page in more places? I can only find it by coming to this forum thread.
Een

Post by Een »

Rolling Wonder wrote: 02 April 2020, 02:42 Can you put the link to the sponsorship page in more places? I can only find it by coming to this forum thread.
Maybe you never explored the footer?
There is also the "other possibilities to help this website link" on the premium page.
Rolling Wonder

Post by Rolling Wonder »

Een wrote: 02 April 2020, 08:00
Rolling Wonder wrote: 02 April 2020, 02:42 Can you put the link to the sponsorship page in more places? I can only find it by coming to this forum thread.
There is also the "other possibilities to help this website link" on the premium page.
Oh, I see those now. Because I didn't notice the word "Sponsor" or "Sponsorship" in either of those places, I didn't recognize the links as possibly leading to the Sponsorship page. :oops:
Snow Cookie

Post by Snow Cookie »

I'm new here and ran into an issue with trying to sponsor a friend. When my friend clicked on my sponsorship link that I emailed to her, she got the following error message:

"Sorry, this feature is currently disabled for auditing.
In order to play with your friend, please click on the 'Login' link at the top right of the page to create a free account."

She aborted and didn't complete the registration. Is this just a short term issue and will be working again soon? Thanks! :)
Een

Post by Een »

Snow Cookie wrote: 14 April 2020, 01:18 I'm new here and ran into an issue with trying to sponsor a friend. When my friend clicked on my sponsorship link that I emailed to her, she got the following error message:

"Sorry, this feature is currently disabled for auditing.
In order to play with your friend, please click on the 'Login' link at the top right of the page to create a free account."

She aborted and didn't complete the registration. Is this just a short term issue and will be working again soon? Thanks! :)
Hi, you must have used the invitation link (that's broken) and not the sponsorship link (that works). Sponsorship link is on this page: https://boardgamearena.com/sponsorship
Snow Cookie

Post by Snow Cookie »

That's exactly what happened. The correct sponsorship link worked. Thanks!! :D
crapi

Post by crapi »

Een wrote: 02 April 2020, 08:00
I'm glad you have this incentive as part of the site. I'm a bit of a noob here so please pardon me if I am stepping anywhere I shouldn't...

First, on visibility and functionality:
What 'footer' are you referring to? After reading that, I looked around (again, as you will see) at the bottom of several pages but didn't see anything obvious. If you are referring to the 'Contribute to BGA' link in the menus at the bottom, I know now that it can indirectly bring you to the sponsorship page, but for someone just looking for how to get a referral code or link, that is far from obvious. You might think of the disparity like this: If I'm looking to help you, I want to contribute. If I'm looking to help me, I want a [referral] reward.

A couple days ago I wondered if BGA has referral rewards. I looked around and didn't find anything (I'm discussing its visibility, not whether the information is where you say it is), then gave up and searched the forums like Rolling Wonder did, which led me to this post. In my case, even that only worked because of DoctorPelusa's reply using the word 'referral'. If that didn't happen, I'm not sure how I would have found out about 'sponsorship'! I agree that it wouldn't hurt to make it more known that the site offers this.

Also, considering the complaints here from late 2019 and the more recent questions about friends who made accounts before/without using a referral link, you might want to include information on the sponsorship page to let people know that the link will work for previously created accounts and specify for how long after account creation that it will work. A couple replies here refer to having "a few days" or "some days" but that is quite vague. And needing to be already connected (which I assume means logged in?) while using the link is, again, not obvious so that should be in the instructions as well.

Second, on language:
Is the use of 'sponsorship' for this a British English thing? I checked some British definitions and didn't see anything. At least for American English, I would never use 'sponsorship' this way. 'Referral' is the main way of saying it. 'Sponsor' refers (sorry, no pun intended) to someone responsible (note the etymological connection) in some way for an activity, usually by providing funding. So if I was paying for someone else's membership, I would be their sponsor - especially if my name was attached to their activity. The only times I think of 'sponsor' being used outside of that have to do with non-financial responsibility or stewardship in the context of Alcoholics Anonymous (and related Anonymous groups), presenting a baby for baptism, or politicians leading proposed legislation. If someone using a referral code makes the 'sponsor' responsible for what they do here, that would very much change its usage!

I guess that's my unrequested 2 cents on the matter! Thanks for reading.
Een

Post by Een »

crapi wrote: 24 April 2020, 09:17 I'm glad you have this incentive as part of the site. I'm a bit of a noob here so please pardon me if I am stepping anywhere I shouldn't...

First, on visibility and functionality:
What 'footer' are you referring to? After reading that, I looked around (again, as you will see) at the bottom of several pages but didn't see anything obvious. If you are referring to the 'Contribute to BGA' link in the menus at the bottom, I know now that it can indirectly bring you to the sponsorship page, but for someone just looking for how to get a referral code or link, that is far from obvious. You might think of the disparity like this: If I'm looking to help you, I want to contribute. If I'm looking to help me, I want a [referral] reward.

A couple days ago I wondered if BGA has referral rewards. I looked around and didn't find anything (I'm discussing its visibility, not whether the information is where you say it is), then gave up and searched the forums like Rolling Wonder did, which led me to this post. In my case, even that only worked because of DoctorPelusa's reply using the word 'referral'. If that didn't happen, I'm not sure how I would have found out about 'sponsorship'! I agree that it wouldn't hurt to make it more known that the site offers this.

Also, considering the complaints here from late 2019 and the more recent questions about friends who made accounts before/without using a referral link, you might want to include information on the sponsorship page to let people know that the link will work for previously created accounts and specify for how long after account creation that it will work. A couple replies here refer to having "a few days" or "some days" but that is quite vague. And needing to be already connected (which I assume means logged in?) while using the link is, again, not obvious so that should be in the instructions as well.

Second, on language:
Is the use of 'sponsorship' for this a British English thing? I checked some British definitions and didn't see anything. At least for American English, I would never use 'sponsorship' this way. 'Referral' is the main way of saying it. 'Sponsor' refers (sorry, no pun intended) to someone responsible (note the etymological connection) in some way for an activity, usually by providing funding. So if I was paying for someone else's membership, I would be their sponsor - especially if my name was attached to their activity. The only times I think of 'sponsor' being used outside of that have to do with non-financial responsibility or stewardship in the context of Alcoholics Anonymous (and related Anonymous groups), presenting a baby for baptism, or politicians leading proposed legislation. If someone using a referral code makes the 'sponsor' responsible for what they do here, that would very much change its usage!

I guess that's my unrequested 2 cents on the matter! Thanks for reading.
Very interesting! Thanks for your feedback.

About visibility, well everyone thinks in different ways. It's difficult to know where to place an information so that it's clearly visible, especially when it's something interesting, but overall, accessory. I just meant to indicate that it was not only in the forums; clearly from your feedback it could be more visible and should use the term "referral".

About semantics, BGA admins are French. Not being native English speakers, indeed we can (and we do) make mistakes in semantics, syntax, and grammar. That's the reason why native English speakers can request changes on the English text in community / help us translate BGA to help us improve the quality of the English version of BGA.

Cheers!

Return to “Official announcements [en]”