BGA heartbeat: what's up doc?

Board Game Arena Official announcements
williamchai

Re: BGA heartbeat: what's up doc?

Post by williamchai »

PaoloMon wrote: 27 March 2020, 20:11
Gabelfleisch wrote: 26 March 2020, 00:00
PaoloMon wrote: 25 March 2020, 16:37 I second the suggestion of cloning the site.
Separate everything, server and database. The new server starts empty. Players have to register there again.
Create a parent site reporting the number of players inside each server and its capacity. People will decide where to go to play and load balance themselves.
It won't be a problem for people that want to play with friends: all of them will login into the same server.
Maybe it's a problem for players that want to play with anybody online because two smaller servers are worse than a big one. At least they can play instead of reloading the page and hope to get in.
Good point.
still some questions will remain on the sync across servers: management of account credentials and friends lists, rankings and reputation, etc. what to start from scratch for the user, what needs import at first/each entry into a server, what/when to synchronise databases...
I suggest to sync only the information related to payments: maybe it's only if the user is premium or not but it's never as simple as that :-)

Friends lists, rankings, etc, everything is per server. This is far from ideal but the system will keep running. Furthermore the effect could be that old users stick on the original server and new users go to the new one. It should be enough to ease the load on the server.

Another suggestion: create servers and name them per geographical areas. The original server could be Global. Then create Americas, Europe, Asia etc (you know who your players are). People playing with friends should gravitate on the server for their area even if everybody can register to any server. Social engineering, no coding.

Anyway, you're doing a good job. It's not easy to scale a service under this pressure especially if some component turns out to be hard to scale. Thanks again.
Separate everything, server and database => really good idea!
I suggest to sync only the information related to payments => I would say even without payment info, so it could be a free game only server

The less state we store the easier to distribute the website. How about:

1. Don't store or compute scores, some players just want to have fun with out knowing their rankings - especially new players like me. For matching players we could use random algorithm, or just let player to select their level before joining a table (easy/middle/hard table)

2. Don't store game history, don't know how many players will actually check them.

3. Don't even ask for login, people can just play anonymously (or put whatever username they like every time)

Without those states adding more machine should be much easier!

Thanks for all your hard working!
MdoubleU

Post by MdoubleU »

Thanks for takinh care! Doing a great job!
hasi6562

Post by hasi6562 »

Hallo,
ich habe den ganzen Abend schon das Problem das ich die Spieler für den Tisch beisammen habe, und auch alle starten drücken aber dann kommt Eror 502. Das war die letzten Tage auch oft so.

Danke fürs Beheben.

L.g.
hasi6562

Post by hasi6562 »

hallo an das Team,

noch ein kleiner Nachsatz. Ich bin gerade sehr sauer. Ich bin Prämienmitglied und ich habe auch Verständnis für die ganze Problematik und das alle Ausgangssperre haben. Aber ich sehe jetzt aber auch nicht mehr ein, dass ich stundenlang am Pc sitze und doch nicht spielen kann, weil immer ein Error 502 kommt und kein flüssiges Spielen mehr möglich ist. Ich bin die letzten Tage schon früher off gegangen. Aber ich sage es jetzt wie meine Gemütslage momentan ist. Sollte sich das nicht ändern in welcher Form auch immer werde ich wenn die Mitgliedschaft abgelaufen ist, nicht mehr dafür zahlen. Ich kann ja verstehen dass sie möglichst viele Spieler hier haben möchten aber dann bitte nicht auf Kosten zahlender Mitglieder die for dem Virus schon Mitglied waren.

Sorry, vielleicht habe ich auch nur Ausgangssperrekola aber ich bin echt gerade sehr sauer.

Danke
pieterspellekes

Post by pieterspellekes »

Thanks for this great site and the big efforts to keep the site up and running.

I'm not the expert and I guess you'll have thought about it also, but maybe cloning the site could help. Making a clone only for people of a specific region or country. Then you can join your friends and play with them.
If needed you can still keep one site for those (paying members) who want to stay connected to all international gaming friends.
Members who paid could then be given the same login and password to login in all versions of the site to make sure they can still play with their friends.
Justice D

Post by Justice D »

I didn't know about this site until an IRL board gaming friend told me about it earlier this week. I'm grateful it exists right now, as it allows me & my IRL board gaming friends the opportunity to still gather & have fun together. I signed up for a premium/paid account, and I hope it helps you sustain this service during this time.
meteorician

Post by meteorician »

Hey guys,

Since yesterday, I have not been able to play Race For Galaxy as I am constantly
disconnected from server after application loading fails. I have ran the test and my Mac passes. Running Safari.
Any ideas what issue might be? I can play backgammon but only while constantly refreshing page.
megabiga

Post by megabiga »

Hello everyone! I have an idea of how to control the access between, at least, the premium ones. Why don't you make days by accounts numbers to connect. An example: between numbers 000001 and 004000 only Mondays wensdeys and fridays. Between 004001 and 008000 Thursdays Tuesdays and Saturdays.... I can do it! Don't you??
Thanku for make our life better!!!
hasi6562

Post by hasi6562 »

hallo ihr,
so ich spielte gerade oh Hell,
bei mir kam die Meldung das ein Mitspieler dran sei aber nicht spielte, darauf wollte ich ihn ausschließen und was kam danach raus ? Ich hab mich selber ausgeschlossen und bekam Strafpunkte. sowohl Zeit wie verlassen des Spiels. Mir blieb ja nichts anderes übrig Ich kam nicht mehr ins Spiel rein,
ich hoffe das wird wieder gelöscht.

Tisch 69707649.

Vormittags bis 13.000 Spieler gibt es keine Probleme. Aber das finde ich jetzt schon sehr krass. Wie soll das noch weiter gehen? Sie bitten immer um Geduld schon 2 Wochen lang und es wird immer schlimmer statt besser. Sorry. Meine Geduld ist jetzt aber mehr als am Limit.

:?
michaelhenehan

Post by michaelhenehan »

You're doing great guys! Really appreciate what you do.

Return to “Official announcements [en]”