DOWNFORCE: If you're in control, you're not going fast enough!

Board Game Arena Official announcements
DrClick

DOWNFORCE: If you're in control, you're not going fast enough!

Post by DrClick »

Downforce, we've got Downforce here!

High-stakes bidding on million-dollar race cars. Frantic bets placed in secret even as the cars race around the track. And to the victor, the biggest purse of all. But in the world of motor racing, the margin between victory and defeat can be a single moment: a steep banked turn, tires screaming and spitting out smoke, and the downforce, pressing you down in your seat and keeping you on the track as you make your move inside to pull ahead.

Downforce is a card-driven bidding, racing, and betting game for 2-6 players based on Top Race, the award-winning design by the legendary Wolfgang Kramer.
Players first bid to own the six cars in the race, then they play cards from their hand to speed them around the track. However, most cards will also move their opponents' cars. So figuring out just the right time to play a card is the key to victory. Along the way, players make secret bets on who they think will win the race. Whoever has the most money from their prize money, winning bets, and remaining bank wins.

This is a game whose design needed no attention. Years of play and multiple versions have honed it to near perfection. On the contrary, one of the design challenges was figuring which of the many rules modules to incorporate to create the most fun version. Downforce also adds variable player powers to improve replayability. But mostly, it improves the look of the game to make it gorgeous and easy to play. Special attention was paid to the colors, the layout of the cards, the design of the cars, the details on the board, and more.

You get it : it's impressive, but easy to play.

You can try the game right here :
https://boardgamearena.com/gamepanel?game=downforce

***PLEASE NOTE***
The boards "Switchback Pass" and "Crosstown Speedway" from "DANGER CIRCUIT" expansion, as well as "Aloha Island" from "WILD RIDE" expansion pack ARE available to play.

BUT the new special abilities from "DANGER CIRCUIT" expansion pack as well as the "Savannah Stretch" board from the "WILD RIDE" expansion are NOT available yet.

The team would like to thank, of course, Restoration Games for making it possible to have this game here, as well as Rob Daviau, Justin D. Jacobson and Wolfgang Kramer for their wonderful game.

A very special thank you goes to our developer, bdrieu, who did an amazing labor of love porting the game to BGA.

And to finish, a quote from Jeremy Clarkson :
Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.
Dravaal

Re: DOWNFORCE: If you're in control, you're not going fast enough!

Post by Dravaal »

I look forward to giving it a try.

Thank you for the continued work and additions to the site, we appreciate it.
Ausnahmefehler

Post by Ausnahmefehler »

Thank you for the second racing game within some days! The german translation is very funny though:) "Abtrieb" is what is done with alpine milk-cows in autumn...
decra

Post by decra »

Huge thanks to bdrieu for this absolutely fantastic mod. Been loving it!
dasteve003

Post by dasteve003 »

I've been playing this a lot on here and really enjoy it, the game was already in my top 10 but playing on here convinced me to buy the new expansion that I didn't own yet.
jessemfredrick

Post by jessemfredrick »

This game runs really poorly on my Mac, anyone else have this issue?
kyrie72

Post by kyrie72 »

Thank you for all of the hard work that has gone into this! I've been playing it a lot and am looking forward to seeing new tracks as they are released.
Malumos

Post by Malumos »

Excellent game. Thank you for bringing it to BGA! :D
The Legacy

Post by The Legacy »

Probably one of my favourite games on here. Well done! :D
Beyento

Post by Beyento »

jessemfredrick wrote: 29 July 2020, 22:06 This game runs really poorly on my Mac, anyone else have this issue?
I was having the same issues using safari. on chrome it seems better

Return to “Official announcements [en]”