Dominion is moving!

Board Game Arena Official announcements
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Dominion is moving!

Post by sourisdudesert » 09 August 2012, 10:47

As you know, Rio Grande Games and Donald X. Vaccarino are developing an official Dominion application since last year. This application is now about to be published! You can already register here.

We're convinced that board games adaptations can bring a lot of things to board games. That's why we are very happy that Rio Grande Games takes board games adaptations seriously by building this official adaptation. But of course we're also a little bit sad because it means the end of Dominion on Board Game Arena. Well, "That's the game", and it's particularly true for best sellers like Dominion.

Dominion will be taken down from BGA on (UPDATE, SEE BELOW:) September 28th. We'd like to thank Rio Grande Games and Donald X. Vaccarino for letting us host Dominion on Board Game Arena, and wish them good luck for this new adaptation!

PS: One of our most important goal is to make you discover new games. That's why we encourage all card games fanatics to try Gosu, Race For the Galaxy and Seasons!

UPDATE: Due to technical difficulties on the new adaptation, Dominion will be taken down on September 14th instead of August 22th.
UPDATE²: There are still some difficulties => Dominion will be taken down on September 28th.

prashant

Re: Dominion is moving!

Post by prashant » 09 August 2012, 11:06

Sigh ! I've only played 2-3 games but I shall miss it from BGA website

Coyotek4

Post by Coyotek4 » 09 August 2012, 12:10

This happened with Ra on BSW and Amun-Re on SbW, so it's not much of a surprise.

I personally do not play Dominion, but I recognize its popularity. It will be missed.

kalisto59

Post by kalisto59 » 09 August 2012, 17:42

i will miss it here. One of my most played games. Tx to Rio Grande and BGA. Bye , bye Dominion, see you in the official app

dash

Post by dash » 10 August 2012, 00:33

Is there a specific reason Dominant Species hasn't been ported to this? Its module on Vassal is absolutely abysmal and I would love to see such a great game brought online on here.

Oso

Post by Oso » 10 August 2012, 09:14

Que mala noticia que no se pueda jugar mas aquí dentro de BGA.

Lo jugué muy poco, pero no era un mal juego.

Godsmurf

Post by Godsmurf » 10 August 2012, 11:20

dash wrote:Is there a specific reason Dominant Species hasn't been ported to this? Its module on Vassal is absolutely abysmal and I would love to see such a great game brought online on here.
You mean, besides the facts that they need a license and that it's a huge amount of work to program a new game and that there's a 100 other games people also want to see here?

senorcoo

Post by senorcoo » 11 August 2012, 14:25

Then that probably means bad news for those of us that love Race for the Galaxy as that app is on the verge of coming out as well.

Lazy McCrow

Post by Lazy McCrow » 11 August 2012, 17:21

Ah well. Nice while it lasted. I was hoping to get to 1000 games, but c'est la vie :)

cab42

Post by cab42 » 11 August 2012, 18:33

I think Rio Grande Games and Donald X. Vaccarino are making a big mistake here.

Their new Dominion app might be a brilliant and gorgeous port of the game but no matter how good it is, they are turning off a huge promotion engine by requesting take-down on this site. A much better strategy would be launch their new app and work with BGA (come to some arrangement) that allows Dominion to continue here and highlights that fact that the new Dominion Online Goko service exists (links, tasteful button or whatever).

If the new service is better, great, BGA players will check it out and still everyone wins as the player base is kept happy and given choice. The take down idea is a lose/lose. Two things I've learned from start-ups is that promotion is absolutely critical and don't piss off the customer base.

Game developers should watch how this audience limiting move plays out.

Return to “Official announcements [en]”