RAILROAD INK: Drawing off the rails

Board Game Arena Official announcements
DrClick

RAILROAD INK: Drawing off the rails

Post by DrClick » 02 June 2021, 10:46

I like trains.
We like trains.
And what's cooler than building a rail network?

That you can do so right now in Rail Road Ink!

Winning a Golden Geek award for it's solo mode and best 5 Seasons Roll&Write award, you can tell why this is a game you should try.

Your goal in this game is to connect as many exits on your board as possible.
Each round, a set of dice are rolled in the middle of the table, determining which kind of road and railway routes are available to all players. You have to draw these routes on your board to create transport lines and to connect the exits, trying to optimize their placement better than your opponents.

The more exits you connect, the more points you score at the end of the game; however, you lose points for each incomplete route, so plan carefully!
Will you press your luck and try to stretch your transportation network to the next exit, or will you play it safe and start a new, simpler to manage route?

Railroad Ink comes in two versions, each one adding new special rules to your games.
Increase the difficulty by adding the River route into the mix, or use the Lakes to connect your networks by ferry. Or will you dare to play the red version, with lava and meteors? These expansions can spice things up, making each game play and feel differently.

You can play it here, from 1 to 12 players, and it will last about 10 minutes.
https://boardgamearena.com/gamepanel?game=railroadink

The BGA team would like to thank the designers, Hjalmar Hach & Lorenzo Silva, as well as the team from Horrible Guild for their help bringing this wonderful game online on Board Game Arena. Choo choo to you!

Notably, the game has been developed by joezg, our in-house developer, and I must tell him publicly how much I love what he did here.
You can be confident it works well, but don't forget that you can post any feedback in our bug report form if needed.
We love to hear from you, but don't forget to check the rules twice. ;)

That's all for now, folks.
More rails-related titles will be coming to BGA.
It's just a game of... patience.
But the train will arrive on time. ;)

sgraney

Re: RAILROAD INK: Drawing off the rails

Post by sgraney » 02 June 2021, 14:05

The game is a lot of fun and the variations certainly do add another dimension. Does this mean that the issue with large groups playing has been resolved? Several people have reported that if you play with a larger group (we have encountered the issue with 8 or more players) then the game won't let the last one or two players finish their final moves and you either have to abandon the game or kick the unlucky player out in order to finish. We haven't played with a larger group for a while because of this persistent issue. I am hoping this means that it has been addressed because the game is a fun one.

OutOfHabit

Post by OutOfHabit » 02 June 2021, 14:12

The controls are pretty rough/frustrating to use but the game is a good one.

AmassGamesYouTube

Post by AmassGamesYouTube » 02 June 2021, 16:09

Lovejoy!

Mother Hathor

Post by Mother Hathor » 03 June 2021, 02:19

Relatively new here. Just curios how long the Ned Flanders thing has been going on :lol: (I didn't even notice it until Conspiracy XD)

Cheery Dog

Post by Cheery Dog » 03 June 2021, 04:37

Can we stop giving the full release to games that have major display issues on some devices?

Obviously this was a popular game, but that amount of effort required to actually get it to be fully playable with all details is just crazy.

(Alhambra being the other recent one that requires effort I my part, although that one at least was semi-fixed)

That and the large player level bug hasn't been resolved according to the bug tracker?

CB Droege

Post by CB Droege » 04 June 2021, 13:38

Cheery Dog wrote:
03 June 2021, 04:37
Can we stop giving the full release to games that have major display issues on some devices?

Obviously this was a popular game, but that amount of effort required to actually get it to be fully playable with all details is just crazy.

(Alhambra being the other recent one that requires effort I my part, although that one at least was semi-fixed)

That and the large player level bug hasn't been resolved according to the bug tracker?
The owners have stated before that this is a primarily web-based platform, and that they do not technically support mobile play, since they don't have licenses to publish the games on mobile. If a game happens to be good on mobile, great, otherwise, oh well.

Cheery Dog

Post by Cheery Dog » 05 June 2021, 13:08

I can believe that for Small Islands, which for mobile really needs an entire UI design.

Not things like Railroad Ink which for some reason have been programmed to ignore the amount of space that is actually available.

I think part of it is BGA's framework in relationship to allowing player panels and game logs in separate columns, and the fact that setting needs adjusted manually by the game developers. But still I believe the "can be played cleanly on mobile" checkbox on the alpha game review list is of actual importance, and games should not be getting a full release if they don't actually fit that fully.

PacoTLM

Post by PacoTLM » 08 June 2021, 14:16

I've sold monorails er railroads to Brockway, Ogdenville, and North Haverbrook, and, by gum, it put them on the map!

mikalpls

Post by mikalpls » 09 June 2021, 19:21

Cheery Dog wrote:
03 June 2021, 04:37

I also had an issue on bug tracker that went unresolved, that being that scores are calculated as you play which is not in line with the rulebook.

Return to “Official announcements [en]”