TRANQUILITY: The Ascent - When you need more tranquility

Board Game Arena Official announcements
DrClick

TRANQUILITY: The Ascent - When you need more tranquility

Post by DrClick »

Tranquility: The Ascent is a standalone sequel to Tranquility, with players working together to complete a grid of numbers as they scale the mountain.

Starting at the bottom of the mountain, players are tasked with completing a pyramid-shaped grid from the base to the summit. The base of the mountain is nine cards wide, the row above that is eight, and so on, with the top row consisting of a single summit card played once the rest of the grid is complete. On your turn, you must play a card onto the mountain or discard two cards. Cards are numbered between 1 and 12 and feature one of three different types of terrain. You may not play cards of the same terrain type next to one another, and you must also discard the difference between cards when played next to one another, e.g. placing a 7 next to a 4 would require you to discard three cards.

Rows are completed from left-to-right, and the numbers on the cards can ascend, descend, or remain the same. Rows can include any number barring this one restriction: the number on a terrain card must be equal to or higher than the number of the row, which means that a 1 can be played only in the first row whereas numbers 8-12 can be played on any row.

You can start a new row once at least the first two cards in the row below have been placed. Cards must always be "supported" by the two cards immediately below them, but they do not relate to the rows above or beneath in any way, i.e., the first row could start with a 10 while the next row starts with a 2.

If players complete the mountain and top it with a summit card, they win; if a player cannot take an action on their turn, everyone loses.

Tranquility: The Ascent includes three mini-expansion modules that can be added separately or together. "The Green Path" requires players to form a continuous path from the bottom to the top of the mountain. "The Panorama" module gives players specific number sequences to photograph. And finally, herd "The Mountain Goats" up to the summit where the grass is greener in the final module.

You can play it now by clicking here:
https://boardgamearena.com/gamepanel?ga ... theascent
And there's a tutorial included if you never played the original Tranquility or this one. A good way to discover it quickly!

We would love to thank James Emmerson and Board Game Hub for allowing the game to be developed on Board Game Arena. No games without developers, and it's all up to ufm for this adaptation that is as beautiful as it is playable. Try it!

That's it for today, and this week is gonna be a bit special.
Maybe we will have something coming BEFORE Wednesday.
Let's change our habits, at least for this very special day...
Until then, take care and play fair!
Ez0ah

Re: TRANQUILITY: The Ascent - When you need more tranquility

Post by Ez0ah »

Great game, added more flexibility and interesting plays to the original tranquility. Smooth implementation too.
Can't wait to discover what you have in store for this week
pchallinor

Post by pchallinor »

Nice game -- enjoying solo mode. But I don't understand how to place the summit tile so I lose every game. I fill rows 1-7 successfully and have a summit tile in hand to place in the single spot in row 8 -- but it won't let me. What am I missing? When I click the summit tile -- it doesn't show a 'checkmark' to indicate it's playable... (for example table # 346712479)
robinzig

Post by robinzig »

pchallinor wrote: 13 February 2023, 18:02 Nice game -- enjoying solo mode. But I don't understand how to place the summit tile so I lose every game. I fill rows 1-7 successfully and have a summit tile in hand to place in the single spot in row 8 -- but it won't let me. What am I missing? When I click the summit tile -- it doesn't show a 'checkmark' to indicate it's playable... (for example table # 346712479)
I just looked - you had a bunch of uncovered bridge cards. They all have to be covered with "real" number cards before you're allowed to play the summit card (this rule is even shown, in bold, when you hover over a bridge card). The game would be far too easy if bridge cards were basically always-playable wild cards, as you seemed to be treating them - while you can play them anywhere (except on the edge of a row, I presume), you still have to fill them in later. They're just of tactical benefit to let you start playing other cards on top of or on the other side of it when you otherwise couldn't.
pchallinor

Post by pchallinor »

Got it. Thanks. Figured I was missing something.
AmassGamesYouTube

Post by AmassGamesYouTube »

I've met the designer...technically they met me :)

Return to “Official announcements [en]”