HADRIAN'S WALL: Another brick in it?

Board Game Arena Official announcements
DrClick

HADRIAN'S WALL: Another brick in it?

Post by DrClick »

Not live from Pompeii, this game is all about Romans, Picts, and what would later shape the Great Britain.

When visiting the North of Britannia in 122 AD, the Roman Emperor Hadrian Augustus witnessed the aftermath of war between his armies and the savage Picts. In a show of Roman might, he ordered a wall to be built that would separate the Pict tribes from the rest of England. Grand in its design, the wall stretched 80 Roman miles, from coast to coast. Hadrian's Wall stood in service to the Roman Empire for nearly 300 years before its eventual decline. Today, Hadrian's Wall is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and the remains of the forts, towers, and turrets can still be explored.

In Hadrian's Wall, players take on the role of a Roman General placed in charge of the construction of a milecastle and bordering wall. Over six years (rounds), players will construct their fort and wall, man the defences, and attract civilians by building services and providing entertainment- all while defending the honor of the Roman Empire from the warring Picts. The player who can accumulate the most renown, piety, valor and discipline, whilst avoiding disdain, will prove to the Emperor they are the model Roman citizen and be crowned Legatus Legionis!

The perfect thing for you to discover it is that it does not require a tutorial: you can start a SOLO game whenever you want and then play at 2 to 6 players when you feel like you have mastered the game complexity. Click below to try:
https://boardgamearena.com/gamepanel?game=hadrianswall

Who allowed this gem of a game that is very well suited for Board Game Arena, and has even won some awards such as the Golden Geek?
It is all up to Garphill Games and their wonderful team, as well as the game designer Bobby Hill, and the development done for the platform by Mistergos.

As a side note, it is advised that players plan their entire go BEFORE picking their Path Card, until you are happy that you have spent your supplies effectively and end the turn with minimal wastage

If you intend to use the above system, extra supplies are distributed AFTER Path selection, and as such the supplies it says you have may not be all you have to use that turn.

And... that's it for today!
See you next week, and until then...
Take care and play fair!
bananasplay

Re: HADRIAN'S WALL: Another brick in it?

Post by bananasplay »

DrClick wrote: 25 October 2023, 10:20 Not live from Pompeii, this game is all about Romans, Picts, and what would later shape the Great Britain.
The Great Britain?
Please check my profile for a list of bugs that need upvotes so that BGA will maybe get around to fixing them.
RecZero

Post by RecZero »

Uhuuuuuu !!!!!!!

Thanks !!!!
ufm

Post by ufm »

bananasplay wrote: 25 October 2023, 13:12
DrClick wrote: 25 October 2023, 10:20 Not live from Pompeii, this game is all about Romans, Picts, and what would later shape the Great Britain.
The Great Britain?
Wikipedia wrote: Hadrian's Wall (Latin: Vallum Hadriani), also known as the Roman Wall, Picts' Wall, or Vallum Aelium in Latin, is a former defensive fortification of the Roman province of Britannia, begun in AD 122 in the reign of the Emperor Hadrian.

The location of Hadrian's Wall in what is now northern England, and the later Antonine Wall in what is now the Central Belt of Scotland
atmospherics

Post by atmospherics »

"The perfect thing for you to discover it is that it does not require a tutorial:"

You cannot just jump into this game and play a solo version. I had literally no idea what I was doing. I think I'll need to read through the rules before i start. This makes it sound like you can literally just start a solo game and pick it up as you go.
l__Kris__l

Post by l__Kris__l »

Love this - I hope the solo campaign gets added at some point as that really forces you to utilise every aspect of the game!
kyloglen

Post by kyloglen »

I'm basically running games all hours of the day. I'm here for you. Come and beat me up.
Cogoletto

Post by Cogoletto »

Please consider the language in this game description. The Romans INVADED the homeland of the Picts. The Picts defended their homeland. That makes the Romans the savages. Anyone who has read any history of how the Romans built their empire knows the horrific kinds of savagery they used when invading because the Romans recorded that information in great detail. Game developers should be very careful with the way they use history in writing their game descriptions. Please consider making it clear that the Romans described the picts as savages, not the game company.
bledson

Post by bledson »

I've waited for so long... Really happy to finally see it here at bga
Meeplelowda

Post by Meeplelowda »

ufm wrote: 25 October 2023, 13:43
bananasplay wrote: 25 October 2023, 13:12
The Great Britain?
Wikipedia wrote: Hadrian's Wall (Latin: Vallum Hadriani), also known as the Roman Wall, Picts' Wall, or Vallum Aelium in Latin, is a former defensive fortification of the Roman province of Britannia, begun in AD 122 in the reign of the Emperor Hadrian.

The location of Hadrian's Wall in what is now northern England, and the later Antonine Wall in what is now the Central Belt of Scotland
It seems this was a comment about the use of the definite article "the," not on the correctness of the geography.

Return to “Official announcements [en]”