Auf deutsche bitte !

Board Game Arena Official announcements
Fristi

Re: Auf deutsche bitte !

Post by Fristi »

I'd also like to address my congratulations to the german and austrian players who really did a great job in the last few days! I find it very impressive that the whole website and 90% of the games are translated in 3 days!

As I don't know if there are many chinese players on BGA, the next language after french, english and german, could be spanish!
Lord Nimrod

Post by Lord Nimrod »

Hej Fristi,

since you asked, I don't want to leave your question unanswered:

The Eszett ("ß") is used after diphthongs and after long vowels, two "s" after short vowels.

In any case, there is always only one correct form, using the other is a spelling mistake.

This is complicated by a number of things: In 1996 there was a huge reform for the orthography of the written German language. It was an effort to make things less complicated. In reality, some things were improved, some were changed in bad ways, some things that should have changed stayed the same, and in the end it was in some aspects more confusing than before (it was even suggested the the main point of it was to sell a huge amount of dictionaries and other books that had to be reprinted). The Eszett is one of the things that were at first supposed to get abolished in this reform, but stayed anyway - but the rules for it's usage changed, and with it many words. Many people, including native speakers, are still insecure about the correct usage and make mistakes.
The other problem is that there is no capital version for the Eszett, so when you write in all capital letters, the Eszett is replaced by "SS". This can cause further confusion, as some people will read a word like this and assume it is correct with "ss", not realizing that this is only because of the capital letters.
And finally, there are people who refuse to use their own language correctly when writing and just always write "ss", thinking that this is an acceptable solution. A poor choice, as I see it, but time will tell; languages are always evolving.

If you want to know more about this strange little letter, check it out on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ß

Lord Nimrod
Fristi

Post by Fristi »

Thanks for your answer Lord Nimrod, I didn't expect so much!

I learned most of my german between 1991 and 1998, and especially between 1991 and 1995 with a really excellent teacher, so mostly before this reform... I had terrible german teachers after that! That shall explain why my knowledge for the use of the ß is outdated!
Silozius

Post by Silozius »

Hi Fristi ((private joke) ça farte ?),

To be clearer, I was not claiming that the motivation of all translators was the rewarding system. I just wanted to claim that it motivated (most of) the unchecked automatic translations. More precisely I cannot imagine other motivations behind these poor translations as it seems pretty obvious, even for these translators, that such automatic translations will not be correct in most cases. That's why I was proposing to change the rewarding rules to avoid these unproductive translations. However, I agree that rewarding is not the main motivation of most of the translators (especially the good ones).

Cheers,
David
cparkshumate

Post by cparkshumate »

Is there a way to fix the English on some of these? Some are really bad. Example: "there ain't any available barrel of this type in the supply" -- Puerto Rico??

On a side note, in response to motivation talk. I've been translating Puerto Rico into German but stopped b/c it isn't my mother language. My intention was to try to help out the group by spending some time working on two things I'm passionate about: board games and German. I don't use a translator site, but I do use an online dictionary quite a bit to double check endings and to help choose the best word etc (www.leo.org). I've also been comparing the phrases to how thy are worded in the German version of the rules in order to try to get some consistency of terms. I've studied German for 10 years now as a hobby and have been really enjoying translating this site just because as an American you don't get to use a foreign language skill very often (unless you know Spanish of course).
pablo74

Post by pablo74 »

Bonjour,

first, a big thank you to all volunteers that helped to translate nearly the complete site in a few days. And another big thank you to the admins
for the quick launch of the German version. This a great software engineering job!

So, but I have also a few concerns:

The rich morphology of German is an issue that can not easly solved by the currently used strings.
E.g. in Troyes there are single strings for the colors (rot/red, black/schwarz, ...)
But they will used in different contexts (e.g. this replay: http://de.boardgamearena.com/archive/re ... er=2933262)
in some cases rot must be used as rote ( 2 rote Würfel) and in other cases as rot (kauft einen Würfel (6 rot)). This is only one example,
there are many other cases (using the right article, using the correct form of adjectives and verbs). I am not sure how this should be considered?
We can try to write many complex strings : rot(e), den/das, der/die
but I am not sure if that is very readable for everyone. But the other way will lead to a huge number of different strings.

@all: What is your opinion?

@admins: I changed many translation after I saw the whole context in the German beta site. How often the new translation will the transfered to the productive site?

Best regards,
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Post by sourisdudesert »

Hello,

Thank you to all translators.

The new translations are updated with new release of the website. I will try during the few weeks to do this as frequently as possible. The next release is planned for tomorrow.

Cheers,

Return to “Official announcements [en]”