Leaving Hanabi when things are not perfect

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Romain672

Re: Leaving Hanabi when things are not perfect

Post by Romain672 » 31 December 2019, 08:00

Ranking is more usefull than no ranking for me.

It's nice to see if someone is begginner, if he have some experience (expert) or if he is good or excellent (no difference here, only master).
I still adapt to some players depending to their elo. If someone do a double finesse on myself, I will try to find another interpretation for the clue (early 5 save?) if the player is only expert. Which just give better results.

But if you want lots of ranking, you should play at 2. It's easier to gain elo.

And personnally I don't care much about abandonning or finishing now. It's like a challenge which are either successfull or not. And if it's not, the challenge is over.

MarekU

Post by MarekU » 12 May 2020, 00:09

Today I've been bullied by all the other 4 players for just not voting to abandon a game when one of them made a mistake.

I just quickly voted no, when someone proposed to abandon and haven't even realized that I was the only one that voted no. They mostly had twice my ranking.
They bullied me on chat, threatened me with red thumbs etc.
This is crazy. I understand that some people don't want to continue, but how is their right to quit bigger than mine to continue?
This must end. There must be a ranking penalty for abandoning.

PS
The game finally went very well and they were actually surprised with our good final result.

Fleeples

Post by Fleeples » 14 May 2020, 11:26

People get very hostile when you make a mistake due to miscommunication in this game as well. I've had one player berate me for refusing to play a card that I knew wasn't a 5 or 4 when it was color marked from earlier and could've been a 3, 2, or 1 and we needed a 3 in that color. Another game the next day I did play in a similar scenario and got berated. Honestly, if I abandon a game it's usually just because I can't be bothered with that person anymore. I've found it easier to abandon if the person is being hostile or wants to, because it leads to hostility.

Occasionally I do abandon and restart of my own accord if it goes really really wrong fast. It's not an ELO thing for me, it's just not fun anymore. Plus path of least resistance.

daredx

Post by daredx » 22 May 2020, 12:17

Got bullied as well a few days ago when I refused to abandon a game.
She clearly said she wanted to abandon because we would lose elo points if we finished the game.
I find that quite annoying because I'm here to play and and playing means losing some time.
So I feel more and more that the Elo points on Hanabi don't really reflect the players because if you abandon everytime you're gonna lose points, it's quite easy to gain more and more points.

This was not the first time I was asked to abandon a game by a player, but they usually respect my choice and finish the game.
But this was not the case...

Return to “Hanabi”